Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Washing of The Feet

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
silverspoone

Washing of The Feet

WASHING OF THE FEET

John 13:12-16
12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
KJV

This is something most churches in the world will not discuss. Why? because it’s something that places a person in humility and humbleness, upon their knees.
It will bend the pride if it’s in there, and it will bring a meekness and a freedom in
the hearts of those that are the foot washers, and the ones having their feet washed.
Sometimes the Lord wants us to wash people’s feet we have been hurt by.
Sometimes the Lord wants us to wash people’s feet as a show of submission. That
our will is in the Lord’s hands, and we are acknowledging those that He placed over us. And sometimes the Lord wants us to wash people’s feet, to show them that we love them.
For whatever the reason, the Lord knows what He is doing.
If He asked you to wash someone’s feet that hates you, could you do it? OR if you really didn’t like a person, for what they did or said to you or about you………could you do it?

I will give you an example of this.

Many years ago, a couple came against me and my husband. I was very unforgiving and very angry about the hard things they had done to us. Then the Lord spoke to me one night, and said He wanted me to wash their feet. I immediately got upset about the idea. He then gave me a choice. I don’t have to tell you what the choice was! I readily accepted that I would wash their feet. YES LORD!! I said.

The next day, I prepared and let them know what was going to happen. They accepted, although they didn’t understand why I was doing this. I told them it was the Lords request.

As soon as I was done washing all their feet, all three of them, I was struck in my heart with SUCH JOY that literally BURST THROUGH ME, in such a way as I could NOT contain my excitement and JOY!
I ran through the church, and out the door, and slipped on the grass, and fell, but it didn’t matter. I LOVED THEM! I REALLY LOVED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I STILL DO TODAY! I was jubilant and thankful, humbled, and meek, and forgiving, and very much filled with love that wasn’t there before I washed their feet.

I had no more strife, or anger or hurt in my heart anymore. The Lord not only healed me but also gave me JOY for all the pain I suffered, and GREAT peace.
He gave me Agape love for those that had hurt me and my husband.
Let me tell you, it stays with you, and it never leaves you, no matter how much you think on all the hard things a person has said or done to you. When you humble yourself, and wash another’s feet, especially those that have done you wrong, it changes something in you! It also does the same to the person you are kneeling before.

Now, I have had my feet washed too, and it’s a VERY humbling experience. You have many emotions rise up in you, when someone is kneeling before you washing your feet. So I have been on both ends of this wonderful precious Holy place in my Spiritual walk.

So if the Lord would ask you, Will you wash their feet? What will be your answer?
I know that it’s something that will bring healing, forgiveness and love into your church, and into your heart, and it will please the Lord.

Matt 10:24
24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.

Phil 2:7-8
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Let us therefore, model ourselves and our attitudes, to be like Jesus.
Let us do as our Master does. Let us do as our Master says. Let us do the Masters will for our lives. In so doing, we will live victorious lives, and show the world a better way! We will have joy and peace that passes ALL understanding.

Luke 14:11
11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Matt 23:11
11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

I am thankful that the Lord allowed me to wash their feet. I am thankful and delighted anytime He wants me to wash another’s feet. Because I know that it will not only do something in that person or persons, but it will also change something in me that needs to be changed.
It’s not something we go ahead and do without the Lord’s bidding. He will let us know if we are to do it, but we need to be ready anytime, to do the Lords will.
Even if it’s someone we are hurt by.
For even Jesus said

Matt 5:44-45
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
KJV

In Gods precious love
Sheila Hall
©October 22, 2006™

2007/4/19 3:25Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Washing of The Feet

Thank you for sharing this awesome testimony. I feel at liberty to share one of my own for the benefit of those who may be encouraged by yielding to the Lord in this ministry.

About ten years ago I was sitting in church one night and instead of listening to the sermon the Lord began to tell me to go home and wash my families feet. We are not talking about those serving God, but most backslidden. I mused for a bit about it being my imagination, but the prompting persisted, so I got up, left church and went home.

I proceeded to tell my husband, two daughters and son-in-law that I wanted to wash their feet. As I did I repented to them of being judgmental and and not loving enough at times.

I can tell you by the look on their faces they thought I had lost my mind, however my little two year old granddaughter put her tiny feet in my basin and asked to have hers washed too, which I greatfully did. The most difficult part was washing my son-in-laws feet because he despises christians and verbally runs them down every chance he has. I know there had to be something spoken to him that I loved him no matter what he thought or said.

I can not tell you what it did for them. They probably just thought I was nuts, because no further mention was ever made of it, but it changed me. I was more loving and free in my spirit. I was at peace because even though I didn't see any visible effect in my family, I knew I had been obedient to God and that was the most important thing.

I feel this is a very important blessing that we miss or underestimate.

Good word Sheila, thanks.

2007/4/19 8:25Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Fascinating testimonies, ya'll!

I agree that we do the scriptures a grave disservice when we dismiss this ritual by spiritualizing it. Jesus tells us to do it so why argue with Him? You cannot argue with God and win.

Thanks for the post.

ginnyrose

2007/4/19 22:06Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Jesus tells us to do it so why argue with Him? You cannot argue with God and win.

Amen.

2007/4/19 22:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy