SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine :  'Are you the Prophet?'

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Suord

Ghana, west Africa

'Are you the Prophet?'

could any one help me out on this subject, 'are you the prophet?'. i was interacting with a muslim friend and he quetioned me about the scripture in John 1:21 where the Jews sent to ask John who he was. the question is who is this prophet that the jews percieved was John? thanks

2007/4/18 10:12Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re: 'Are you the Prophet?'

Deuteronomy 18

A New Prophet like Moses
15"The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brothers--it is to him you shall listen-- 16just as you desired of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when you said, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God or see this great fire any more, lest I die.' 17And the LORD said to me, 'They are right in what they have spoken. 18I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. 19And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him. 20But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or[f] who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.' 21And if you say in your heart, 'How may we know the word that the LORD has not spoken?'-- 22when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

The Prophet like Moses is a prophesy about Jesus.

2007/4/18 10:16Profile

Re: 'Are you the Prophet?'

I think Muslims imagine that "the Prophet" is Muhammed; and (if I remember right) that the Comforter is also Muhammed! They teach that the Bible was drastically altered by Christians, although there's no historical evidence for it of course.

Is your friend genuinely interested in what the Bible says or is he just repeating what he's been taught about it? Has he even read a good translation of the Quran, let alone the Bible? Apparently many Muslims haven't, partly because its traditionally supposed to only be read in the original Arabic. Rather like the old Catholic tradition of having services in Latin.

It might be a good idea to get a book on what Islam teaches. A good one, from the point of view of a former Muslim scholar (he was a lecturer in the top Muslim university in Egypt) is "Jesus and Muhammad" by Mark A Gabriel.

The question I would like to ask a Muslim would be concerning the personalities of Jesus and Muhammed. Judging merely by what the [i]Quran[/i] says about both of them which of the two would they most like to have as a personal friend? Should set him thinking!

Also why, if Muhammed is supposed to be greater than Jesus, [i]the Quran[/i] says Jesus did lots of miracles when Muhammed didn't.

They do respect Jesus as a prophet, just don't see Him as THE prophet, and of course the phrase "son of God" is horrible to them as they think it means God had sex with Mary.

Praying that your friend will find the true God

Jeannette

2007/4/18 10:33

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy