SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Demon possessed man

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Forgiven1

Western Australia

Demon possessed man

Can anyone explain Mark 5 1-20 re the demon-possessed man and the pigs. My question is why did Jesus send the demons into the herd of pigs (I know they requested Jesus do this for them instead of been sent to the Abyss) and then why did the pigs jump off the cliff and drown? Also what happened to the legion of demons after the pigs drowned (I suppose walked around restless looking for someone else to inhabit for their rest???) Thank you anyones thoughts on this qould be greatly appreciated.

2007/4/18 1:08Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Demon possessed man

First of all, welcome to the website.

Next, strange question!

I don't know about this one. Scripture is silent on it, so I don't like to put into scripture what isn't there, or take away from it for good reason, Rev 22v18-19.

What I do know, from scripture, is that the Jews were not allowed to eat certain meats, and pork was one of them, so what were they doing with pigs anyway?

As for why the pigs jumped off the cliff-look at what the demons had been doing to the man they just left.

We know it says in Romans 8 that the whole creation groans, and pigs are part of God's creation, so to be engulfed suddenly by demons must have driven the pigs crazy.

That is just an assumption of mine.

What happened to the demons after? Who knows?

Scripture does not say, so we cannot, we can only assume.

Maybe they did go roaming around looking for new territory to inhabit.

Matt 12v43, 'When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none.

vs 44, 'Then he says, "I will return to my house from which I came". and when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order.

vs45, 'Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.

Whilst Jesus is speaking here about that generation, He also mentions about demons leaving someone.

If the person has not filled the place with the redemption that is found in Jesus Christ, then that person is desolate and vunerable, and the demon, plus 7 others, can enter the individual.

That's all I have, but I know I have missed things that others will point out.

God bless.

2007/4/18 5:24Profile
Forgiven1

Western Australia

Re: demon possessed man

Thanks Enid and thanks for the welcome. Good point about the pork and against law for Jews to eat it. Also shows God's hand was still upon this demon possessed man as soon as they went into the pigs they drove them mad to the point of suicide. I know Jesus was led by the Spirit everywhere he went and was led to people by the Spirit also, no doubt this man was crying out to God or perhaps someone was interceding for him hence why Jesus took the trip across. With the way the towns folk reacted to what had happened they seemed more concerned about losing their stock rather than rejoicing how a mad man was now sane, maybe business and making money was more important than people and it was God's way of dealing with their hearts, but they didn't get it. Also the analogy of pigs (unclean) and being filled with evil spirits were thrown into a lake (lake of fire).
Again thanks for your comment. Also the word "dry" in Matthew 12 v 43 stood out to me, seeings they were thrown into water.

2007/4/18 6:30Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Our Lord prepares the way for His people.

Deapolis. A Greek city (to which the Christians fled just before the destruction of Jerusalem),
across Jordan. Out Side the Promised Land. Out side the camp?

Mk.5:20 And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel.

(Matt.4:25 And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan.

Eddie

2007/4/18 7:45Profile
ornega3

Jesus’ casting out the demons and allowing them into the herd of pigs was actually more of a good act if you consider that (at that time), swine were one of the forbidden foods that is stated in the Levitical law, and for good reason. Unclean foods would have been a main reason for illness and untimely deaths back then. The swineherds would not have been of direct Jewish descent, as no respectable Jew would have had pork in their diet. Usually, we feel for the loss of pigs for the swineherds, but the opposite view in terms of better health and life for the people should be viewed in the wisdom of our Lord and God.

2007/4/18 10:20Profile

Quote:

Forgiven1 wrote:
Can anyone explain Mark 5 1-20 re the demon-possessed man and the pigs. My question is why did Jesus send the demons into the herd of pigs (I know they requested Jesus do this for them instead of been sent to the Abyss) and then why did the pigs jump off the cliff and drown? Also what happened to the legion of demons after the pigs drowned (I suppose walked around restless looking for someone else to inhabit for their rest???) Thank you anyones thoughts on this qould be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I don't have an answer to your question, beyond what has already been said.

But I think this is a wonderful account. Not because of the pigs but because of the possessed man.

He had these hordes of demons in him, (apparently a legion was about 6,000 soldiers) screaming, "leave us alone, Jesus!" You would think the man would have been forced by the demons to run away as fast as possible. (Demonised people do sometimes flee when a Spirit filled person comes near). But, instead, the man ran TO Jesus and fell at his feet, even though the demons were still screaming though his mouth.

That tells me a very very wonderful thing. NO AMOUNT OF DEMONS CAN PREVENT ANYONE COMING TO JESUS!

In Him who is greater than Satan and all his hordes

Jeannette

2007/4/18 11:59

Re:

The most excellent sermons I have ever heard preached on this text is right here on Sermon Index.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3132]The pigs in the parking lot - Carter Conlon (Time Square Church)[/url]

In Christ - Jim

2007/4/18 13:40
Forgiven1

Western Australia

Thank you to everyone who commented on my query it really helped me alot, and especially thanks to God because he works through yielded ones such as yourselves. The pigs in the parking lot by Carter Conlon(Times Square Church) was excellent, spot on to the scripture I was having trouble trying to understand the spirtual meaning of. I recommend it to others too. Thank you jimdied2sin I am about to listen to it again, it truelly answered all my questions. God bless you all. Lissa :-)

2007/4/21 2:54Profile
Forgiven1

Western Australia

If anyone else reads this message today I listened to J.Glyn Owen on audio sermons on this site and his sermon called "a man with an unclean spirit" on page 7 of his page was also enlightening on this.

2007/6/15 2:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy