SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 613 Laws of the Torah

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Provost

613 Laws of the Torah

I was on a message board where a whole bunch of people are saying we as Christians need to follow all 613 laws. They are saying that you are being a disobedient Christian if you do not. Now when Pauls epistles/verses/texts were brought up they said that too many have changed Bible to be anti-jewish.
Now my last post I lost my temper, bringing up the fact that they don't practice stoning people so they are knowingly breaking the law, and called them accursed.
I was wondering if there may be a better more sophisticated way to taking with these folk...or should I just pray that they cut themselves off?

2007/4/17 9:11Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: 613 Laws of the Torah

What about James (and the rest of the apostles), was he anti-jewish too?

[b]Act 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command [them] to keep the law of Moses.
Act 15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.[/b]

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men [and] brethren, hearken unto me:
Act 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
Act 15:15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
Act 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
Act 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Act 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood.
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Act 15:22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; [namely], Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
Act 15:23 And they wrote [letters] by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren [send] greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, [Ye must] be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no [such] commandment:
Act 15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Act 15:26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell [you] the same things by mouth.
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

2007/4/17 10:06Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Greetings...

I don't have time right now to respond, but go to the recent thread The Ark of the Covenant and read the comments there. They deal with this clearly.

"Stand fast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage" (Gal. 5.1).

AD

2007/4/17 12:16Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I hesitate to say this but I took 5 semesters of classes on the 613 Laws of the Old Testament and can tell you without question that keeing those laws is not only in contrast to the New Covenant, it is impossible- even for practicing Jews.

2007/4/17 12:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
I hesitate to say this but I took 5 semesters of classes on the 613 Laws of the Old Testament and can tell you without question that keeing those laws is not only in contrast to the New Covenant, it is impossible- even for practicing Jews.

5In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations [b]blamelessly.[/b]

2007/4/17 12:25
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I was wondering if there may be a better more sophisticated way to taking with these folk..

Provost, you should be in your glory with these folk because the Bible is full of helpful examples. Legalism was the biggest problem Jesus and Paul had to deal with. The book of Galatians is also full of ammunition for you.

Note that Jesus never argued with the people or tried to reason with them. Instead he went directly for their conscience by using simple little events or stories to let THEM see that they were violating the law they so dearly cherished. Those were always little mercy drops: opportunities for them to admit their need for Christ’s sweet salvation.

You also said:
Quote:
...or should I just pray that they cut themselves off?

There you go! Just what Paul suggested to the legalistic Jews of his day (those who insisted on circumcision for salvation):

“I wish those who unsettle and confuse you would [go all the way and] cut themselves off!” A(Gal. 5:12): Ampified

in other words:
“As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves! NIV

Well, maybe Paul never suggested it directly to the legalizes. At any rate, keep full of the joy of the Spirit, and don’t let them agitate you! (That’s the least effective way to touch their consciences.) Remember how Jesus solved the problem: he loved them and died for them. What is God asking of you?

Diane

2007/4/17 13:11Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
5In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.

You will recall that the Temple existed at that time. All laws related to the Temple are impossible to keep. This is why many have adopted alternate ways to 'keep' those laws. They have developed a system of halakah to keep the Law relevant to the Jews.

2007/4/17 13:19Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Sscott,

"5In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah..."

Have noticed this too before. But then look at this statement Paul makes of himself in Philippians...

"Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless."

Just something to consider.

Chris

2007/4/17 13:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
You will recall that the Temple existed at that time. All laws related to the Temple are impossible to keep.

The scripture says he kept all [b]the LORDS[/b] commandments and regulations blamelessly.

2007/4/17 14:05

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi everyone.

Sscott,

"5In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah..."

Have noticed this too before. But then look at this statement Paul makes of himself in Philippians...

"Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless."

Just something to consider.

Chris

Yea.. Paul says the same thing about himself as the scriptures say about Zecharias.

2007/4/17 14:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy