SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dispensationalism?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Dispensationalism?

Jay mentioned dispensationalism in the last thread I posted, and it started a train of thought.

I realised that I have only a vague idea of what it means to those who use the term. Dispensation simply means "house-order", and is apparently applied by dispensationalists to a rather rigid scheme of classification of the ways God has dealt with mankind.

Before the Fall was different from afterwards; Between then and the Flood was different. The Law under Moses was different again, another dispensation presumably, though it involved only one group of people. Then Jesus came and the Mosaic Law was superceded by the new Covenant. When Jesus returns all will change again.

All this seems obvious. Is that what is called dispensationalism, or is there more to it? People seem to get as excited for or against as they do about Predestination or original sin, but I've yet to fathom what the fuss is about!

It seems to be either "Dispensational Truth" or "Dispensational Error", depending on who's talking about it.

It doesn't seem quite the same usage as in the Bible, though I haven't looked these verses up in detail yet... [i][color=000099][1 Corinthians 9:17]…a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me…

[Ephesians 1:10] …10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather …

[Ephesians 3:2] If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me…

[Colossians 1:25] Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you…[/color][/i]

Comments please

Jeannette

2007/4/16 17:45
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Dispensationalism?

There is more to dispensationalism than such. If you have time for it (as I don't have much time to type a response), consider listening to the following 30 minute student-lecture I gave in Bible college on a general survey of dispensationalism:

[url=http://www.iamadisciple.com/sermons/dispensationalism_lecture_lee_university.mp3]Dispensationalism Lecture[/url]

2007/4/16 18:20Profile

Re:

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:
There is more to dispensationalism than such. If you have time for it (as I don't have much time to type a response), consider listening to the following 30 minute student-lecture I gave in Bible college on a general survey of dispensationalism:

[url=http://www.iamadisciple.com/sermons/dispensationalism_lecture_lee_university.mp3]Dispensationalism Lecture[/url]

Thanks, will try to do so, unless there's a transcript I can get online? (I'm not good at retaining the spoken word)

jeannette

2007/4/16 18:50
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Forgive my ignorance, but while I can understand the logic behind this concept, what I can't yet grasp is the idea that God operates through transitions. If the principles governing the creation is subject to change, doesn't that imply that the nature and intent of the creator has to be subject to change as well (to some extent at least)?

2007/4/16 19:04Profile
vico

God: "oh no! this plan isn't working! Plan B! Plan B! We'll have to start plan B!...

Plan C! Plan C! Man we'll have to figure this thing out..."

I don't think so! lol

2007/4/16 19:22Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Dispensationalism fails to account for the fact that the promise made to Abraham was to Abraham and his Seed. The Seed is Christ and all who are in Christ are children of Abraham and heirs to the promise made to Abraham.

Dispensationalism also fails to understand that the church is the fulfillment of Israel. This is not replacement theology, this is fulfillment theology. The promise God made to Abraham was not fulfilled with the Jews living in Palestine, it is fulfilled in that all nations are blessed through his Seed.

Galatians 3
"7Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham. 8And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "In you shall all the nations be blessed." 9So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith."

Dispensationalism is also responsible for telling us that the following will happen in secret:

1 Thess. 4
13But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord,[f] that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18Therefore encourage one another with these words."

Dispensationalism also tells us that the following are two separate events that happen 7 years apart, even though Paul in 1 Thess. 4 just told us that Jesus is coming and we are gathered together to Him at the same time:
2 Thess. 2:1, "Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,"

2007/4/16 20:06Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
God: "oh no! this plan isn't working! Plan B! Plan B! We'll have to start plan B!...

Plan C! Plan C! Man we'll have to figure this thing out..."

No wonder only the “experts” can decode the Bible for us.

I did something daring one day: I threw it all out - and then suddenly the scriptures became clear.

I believe that Dispensatinalism thrived because man listened to the voice of a man.. who heard it from another man... who got it from another man... and on and on... like telephone tag - the message got more convoluted as it went along.

"When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teachings because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law." (who quoted other rabbis to support their own teaching)
Matt. 7:29

Diane

2007/4/16 22:28Profile

Re:

Quote:

intrcssr83 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but while I can understand the logic behind this concept, what I can't yet grasp is the idea that God operates through transitions. If the principles governing the creation is subject to change, doesn't that imply that the nature and intent of the creator has to be subject to change as well (to some extent at least)?

Mmm, that's a thought.

Maybe its more like the Lord works with mankind and with creation, according to a pattern, a blueprint. Everything He does is done with His eternal pattern in view. The Ultimate Pattern is Christ Himself (Hebrews 1), and in the end all will come into summation in Him.

Colossians 1:15-20
[i][color=000099]15 He is the image of the invisible God, ethe firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or gdominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him jall things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
19 For it pleased the Father that min Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile oall things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross. [/color][/i]

Remember that Moses was told to make everything according to the pattern shown him on the mount.

The Tabernacle was built according to that Pattern.

Then Solomon built to the same Pattern, but on a fuller and grander scale.

Ezekiel's vision was of something even greater - the City and the Temple in it, covering the whole of the top of a great mountain.

But when [i]John[/i] saw the Pattern, the New Jerusalem, the Body of Christ, he saw something "impossibly" huge, yet with no temple, "for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple." (Revelation 21:22).

Sounds as if the Lord is being consistent in what He is doing, but we only see parts and aspects of it, which look to us like a progression of steps or eras... Which some call dispensations...

Never thought of it like that, not until starting to type this, but it makes sense I think...

Jeannette

2007/4/17 17:58
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

There is one dispensation from the beginning to the end it is called the DISPENSATION OF THE GRACE OF GOD.The only place where there will not be a dispensation of grace is hell.

2007/4/17 18:37Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:

Remember that Moses was told to make everything according to the pattern shown him on the mount.

The Tabernacle was built according to that Pattern.

Then Solomon built to the same Pattern, but on a fuller and grander scale.

Ezekiel's vision was of something even greater - the City and the Temple in it, covering the whole of the top of a great mountain.

But when [i]John[/i] saw the Pattern, the New Jerusalem, the Body of Christ, he saw something "impossibly" huge, yet with no temple, "for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple." (Revelation 21:22).

Sounds as if the Lord is being consistent in what He is doing, but we only see parts and aspects of it,
Jeannette

Beautiful! Lord, anoint our eyes with eyesalve that we might see!
AD

2007/4/17 18:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy