Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Wanting insight on Baptizing

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
john1140

A Sister in Christ from Michigan

Wanting insight on Baptizing

This question does not have so much to do with doctrine, but can someone give me some insight on WHO (not IN WHOSE authority- I know the answer to that already)has the authority to baptize in the church and whether it is based on church tradition or actual scripture?

Thanks for your help.
Sonya :-)

2007/4/16 15:51Profile

Re: Wanting insight on Baptizing

If you are a believer... and someone needs to be baptized... baptize them. I see nothing in scripture that limits that to clergy. Nothing at all. I'm not clergy and I have baptized over 20 people. (I am an elder, but not clergy)

Krispy

2007/4/16 16:16

Hi Sonya

Interesting question - don't remember hearing it asked before. I suppose, at a pinch, any (presumably baptized) believer can baptize any other (unbaptized) believer!

Usually its leaders that do it; and it seems to be the same in the Bible, but I don't think the Bible gives any rules on it at all. It would seem only right (in normal circumstances) that those in leadership, or more mature, should be asked to do it - out of mere courtesy to them as leaders. But there could be circumstances when this isn't possible, or there's no time.

When Philip baptized the Ethiopian (Acts 8)there is no mention of anyone else, except those two. The Ethiopian would have had a retinue of attendants with him but they were apparently not involved). Phillip gave him the Gospel, he believed, and he was baptized by Phillip, that's all!

Jeannette

2007/4/16 16:22
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Hi Sonya,

What is your denominational affilitation? The reason I ask is most churches have their own set of rules of who can [i]officially[/i] do this or that. Most churches will have baptismal services where many will get baptized in one sitting. Then the church will print out little certificates to give them. I suppose it all boils down to what your Pastor allows. If you're going to baptize "in the church building", you'll have to abide by his rules. He'll probably want to do the baptizing himself - unless the [i]baptizee[/i] specifically requests [i]you[/i] to do it.

If you feel real strongly about doing it yourself, talk to your pastor. I can't see any reason why a Pastor wouldn't allow a member of his congregation who he knows is genuinely saved to baptise another believer.

2007/4/16 16:28Profile

Re:

I agree with Paul that if your baptizing inside a church, then abide by the rules... more out of an act of submission.

Personally, I've baptized people I've led to the Lord in lakes, ponds, rivers, swimming pools. Nothing in scripture says anything about needing to baptized in a baptismal or by clergy.

It's about the converts heart, not the ritual.

Krispy

2007/4/16 16:32
john1140

A Sister in Christ from Michigan

Re:

Hi Paul,
I guess my denomination is "non-denominational" if that makes any sense. I grew up in the baptist church and was baptized by the Pastor. It is really just a general question....something that I was thinking about.

2007/4/16 16:38Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Jesus told His disciples to baptize in the Great Commission:

Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Jordan

2007/4/16 18:44Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy