Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Quotes by Leonard Ravenhill

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Quotes by Leonard Ravenhill

"Do you ask, "Well now, where do we go from here?" The answer is, "Where sinful individuals or sinful nations can only go - back to a merciful God." Hear me! Every church without a prayer meeting condemns us; every Bible daily unopened condemns us; every promise of god unused condemns us; every lost neighbor condemns us; every lost heathen condemns us; every dry eye among us condemns us; every wasted minute of our time condemns us; every unclaimed opportunity for God condemns us. Next year is not ours. Tomorrow may be too late. Unless we repent now, unless we return and fire the prayer altars now, unless we fast and weep now, woe unto us at the judgment!" -The Late Leonard Ravenhill

The only time you can really say that 'Christ is all I need' is when Christ is all you have. If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.

A popular evangelist reaches your emotions. A true prophet reaches your conscience.

The last words of Jesus to the church (in Revelation) were 'Repent!'

John the Baptist never performed any miracles. Yet, he was greater than any of the Old Testament prophets.

I doubt that more than two percent of professing Christians in the United States are truly born again.

Our God is a consuming fire. He consumes pride, lust, materialism, and other sin.

There are only two kinds of persons: those dead in sin and those dead to sin.

When you're sitting in a dark room, you can either sit and curse the darkness or you can light a candle.

Children can tell you what Channel 7 says, but not what Matthew 7 says.

Some women will spend thirty minutes to an hour preparing for church externally (putting on special clothes and makeup, etc.). What would happen if we all spent the same amount of time preparing internally for church with prayer and meditation?

Maturity comes from obedience, not necessarily from age.

What good does it do to speak in tongues on Sunday if you have been using your tongue during the week to curse and gossip?
Why do we expect to be better treated in this world than Jesus was?

[Concerning one of the new movements in the church that was causing a stir among Christians:] There's also a stir when the circus comes to town.

My main ambition in life is to be on the Devil's most wanted list.

You can't develop character by reading books. You develop it from conflict.

When there's something in the Bible that churches don't like, they call it 'legalism.'

Our seminaries today are turning out dead men.

How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don't even have the strength to turn off your TV?

Everyone recognizes that Stephen was Spirit-filled when he was performing wonders. Yet, he was just as Spirit-filled when he was being stoned to death.

If a Christian is not having tribulation in the world, there's something wrong!

[Concerning the fixation that today's church has with numbers, with growth at any price:] The church has paid a terrible price for statistics!

Any method of evangelism will work if God is in it.

Church unity comes from corporate humility.

You can have all of your doctrines right yet still not have the presence of God.

Many pastors criticize me for taking the Gospel so seriously. But do they really think that on Judgment Day Christ will chastise me, saying, 'Leonard, you took Me too seriously'?

You can know a lot about the atonement, and yet receive no benefit from it.

If the whole church goes off into deception, that will in no way excuse us for not following Christ.

You never have to advertise a fire. Everyone comes running when there's a fire.

Likewise, if your church is on fire, you will not have to advertise it. The community will already know it.

"You can't tell it like it is, if you don't believe it like it was."

"Most church members live so far below the standard, you would have to backslide to be in fellowship with them."

"Sometimes you hear congregations say concerning a preacher's message, ' I didn't get it.' It's not our place that they get it, it's our place to see that they hear it."

"Some preachers ought to put more fire into their sermons or more sermons into the fire."

"If you want to be popular, preach happiness. If you want to be unpopular, preach holiness."

2007/4/15 0:02Profile

Re: Quotes by Leonard Ravenhill

“Finney never made an altar call within the first twenty eight nights of preaching. Most of our evangelists don’t have twenty eight sermons. Twenty eight nights in a row and he never made an altar call. He didn’t preach the love of God. He didn’t say “you’re a sinner, God loves you.” He said “God is angry with the wicked every day” (Ps 7:11) which the Word of God says. He didn’t preach grace, he preached Law. He didn’t preach love, he preached judgment. He didn’t preach heaven, he preached hell. He didn’t say “you’re a wonderful person” he said “you’re a rebel”. But he got results. 64% of D. L. Moodys converts backslid, 72% of the converts Finney got stood because he knew how to attack the human will, not just the emotions.” Leonard Ravenhill

2007/4/15 0:18
myfirstLove

Re: Quotes by Leonard Ravenhill

"If we are really going to get a concept of revival we have to get a vision of God's sorrow over sin. We have to get a concept of how, day by day, we offend God. As a nation we offend God in millions of ways."

"People say to me all over the country, "I am interested in revival." I say, "Yes, so are a million other Americans."
I find all kinds of people interested in it. I don't find many people burdened for it. People are very interested in revival, but we don't start to break the fallow ground. We don't prepare the way of the Lord."

"There will be a thousand people who, if you get a heart and a vision, will say, "Oh, you've got tunnel vision." Hmm? Well, I think the one reason why the Apostle Paul conquered... and triumphed... and out-smarted us... and out-suffered us... and out-prayed us... and out-sacrificed us... and out-preached us was because he settled for one thing: "This one thing I do."
You've got to have one vision,
You've got to have one heart,
You've got to have one purpose,

"This one thing I do..." I sell out to God's will totally."

"When you start to move in spirituality, it's very easy to bear the criticism of the world and the roughness of the world, but it's the criticism of "saints" that gets you down.
Somebody says, "Ohhh, don't do that. You're getting too serious!"

"You know, "our" people will warn you: "Don't get too spiritual." You never hear them say, "Don't get too rich. Don't get too much education." but rather, "Don't get too spiritual..."

Do you know why?Because they've been dragging their feet for the last ten to twenty years, and they're afraid you'll get ahead of them."

"Your doctrine can be as straight as a gun barrel-and just as empty!"

"Everyone wants to be clothed but no one wants to be stripped."

2007/4/15 0:51Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

[b]The world has lost the power to blush over its vice; the Church has lost her power to weep over it.[/b]

A man may study because his brain is hungry for knowledge, even Bible knowledge. But he prays because his soul is hungry for God.

To be much for God, we must be much with God. Jesus, that lone figure in the wilderness, knew strong crying, along with tears. Can one be moved with compassion and not know tears? Jeremiah was a sobbing saint. Jesus wept! So did Paul. So did John...Though there are some tearful intercessors behind the scenes, I grant you that to our modern Christianity, praying is foreign.

2007/4/15 1:06Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
"Do you ask, "Well now, where do we go from here?" The answer is, "Where sinful individuals or sinful nations can only go - back to a merciful God." Hear me! Every church without a prayer meeting condemns us; every Bible daily unopened condemns us; every promise of god unused condemns us; every lost neighbor condemns us; every lost heathen condemns us; every dry eye among us condemns us; every wasted minute of our time condemns us; every unclaimed opportunity for God condemns us. Next year is not ours. Tomorrow may be too late. Unless we repent now, unless we return and fire the prayer altars now, unless we fast and weep now, woe unto us at the judgment!" -The Late Leonard Ravenhill

I found this quote a very prophetic and strong exhoration to the church in his day and our day!

2007/4/15 1:51Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

This quote speaks volumes of truth, what a state we are in the Americas:

[b]The world has lost the power to blush over its vice; the Church has lost her power to weep over it.[/b]
-Leonard Ravenhill

!!!!!

2007/5/17 19:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy