SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 1st John Contradicts Itself

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

It might be worth pointing out that Paul Washer has done several excellent series of sermons on this book. I would recommend that you all listen to them!

2007/4/16 9:48Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Jeff wrote:

Quote:

"Have you considered the sin that we commit in ignorance?"

James 4:11-17 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Who teaches us to do good? Is it not the good Christ in us speaking through the Holy Spirit to the believer? What ever Jesus speaks, that is what the Holy Spirit speaks to us.

John 16:7-14 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

We already know the bad things that are sin and we in the power of Christ and His righteousness made in us are expected not to do these things. If we don't know it is sin, it will be revealed and we will know it is bad. This verse could also say, Therefore to him that knoweth to do
bad and does it, to him it is sin.

If you don't know it is bad it will be revealed to us, just as the things we don't understand about God. Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Phl 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Who makes us perfect? That we are to be thus minded? Of Course it is the Christ in you. God must reveal this unto us. Man's rules do not apply.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/4/16 21:05Profile
DesiJr

Re:

Why do we have to make this so complicated.

1John 1 --- John is taking about the sin against the old covenant...the law that Jesus fulfilled for us.

if we say that we haven't sinned against this law we are liars.

1John 3 --- John is talking about the sin against the new covenant...the law of loving God and loving others.

If we sin against these laws we have yet to be born of God....we have yet to even see God.

At a genuine conversion....your heart is changed by the Spirit of God and you now are able to Love God and love others the way Christ loves others....

There is no contradiction...why do we try to make excuses. we should just admit our lack of understanding and as God to reveal His wisdom to us. Instead we try to make human sense of it and say things like....oh well 1Johns 3 he's talking about if you habitually sin....or continue to sin ......John didn't say that....he said plainly...IF YOU SIN YOUR OF THE DEVIL.

The key is understanding what sin. It can't be the old covenant because we all habitually break all of them every day. EVERY DAY.

But Christ fulfilled that law...so now there is a better understanding of the law...Love God and Love others....if you sin against these....it's obvious your of the devil and you have yet to be truly born again.

2007/4/16 21:15Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Compliments wrote:

Quote: ""The "old man mind" can never be clear enough to receive any truth whatsoever, "It's not subject unto the law of God neither indeed can be""

""The "old man mind" "Cannot receive the things of God", it's destiny is an overhaul. The carnal mind has been totaled, it's been wrecked. We need a transformation, it can't be trusted. The Mind of Christ is our inheritance. Lets take it by force." ""

The old man mind and it memories of the spirit of Satan does not change over night even though it is now the mind of Christ and that is why we are to renew our mind to the Mind of Christ by the Power of Christ spoken and taught by the Holy Spirit, the things Christ has give The Holy Spirit to glorify Jesus Christ in us.

The old man can know nothing of the things of God unless he is born again.

John 3:3-6 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

The Mind of Christ in the new man in Christ is being renewed from the old man mind to the mind of Christ. Yes the new man mind has become completely new, but the memories and body pulls of the spirit of Satan's control must be changed and is being changed unto the day of Jesus Christ. This is what transforms our mind.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

I hope this makes it clearer about the statement I made.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/4/16 21:19Profile
rookie

Re:

Compliments wrote:

Quote:
We need the word tucked away in our hearts so that we will not sin against Him, these young men had the word abiding in them, it was quickened to them during thier time of temptation, they overcame the devil as Jesus did in the wilderness.

Heb 5

13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

What you said and what Scripture says is true. The young men who John describes are enabled by Scripture to recognize the ways that Satan tempts us.

On the other hand, a babe in Christ does not often recognize that he or she is actually being manipulated to open themselves up to the ways Satan tempts us.

I asked you a pointed question in order to build upon the importance of first, we must recognize that there is a spiritual battle. Secondly, we are often caught by the devices of Satan, which cause us to suffer. Thirdly, as we submit to the Scriptures, the Scriptures themselves will exercise our mind to recognize and then discern that which is good and evil.

So if we say we do not have sin, the truth is not in us. You see, Scripture alone will show us how we are in bondage to the devices of Satan. Scripture alone will convict us or absolve us of our hearts intentions whether these thoughts are of God or Satan. John declares that this maturity comes with time and is not instantenous...

Everyone who submits to Scripture will come to have personal testimonies of how the Holy Spirit has taught them about the ways Satan flings darts at us.

Jesus himself was tempted throughout His life in the flesh. We should expect the same.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/4/16 23:17Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Casting to the future

Quote:
The verse merely says that the one who is born of God [b]doesn't sin[/b]. Not will not, nor cannot, but does not. "Does not" is a present term. It it independent of past and future. Whether I [b]did sin[/b] or [b]will sin[/b], it neither adds, nor removes from the fact that I [b]do not sin[/b].

"present term". Like that brother. It does remind me of how much we can be busy about what we [i]may[/i] be reacting to in the future tense with so many things. It seems similar to hearing how "our sins are forgiven, past, present and future". That cringe at hearing the 'future' when it hasn't yet arrived and gives the sense of letting off the gas a little ... "nobodies perfect".

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that [b]ye sin not[/b]. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

"If"

2007/4/16 23:46Profile
DesiJr

Re: Don't make it so complicated

Why do we have to make this so complicated.

1John 1 --- John is taking about the sin against the old covenant...the law that Jesus fulfilled for us.

if we say that we haven't sinned against this law we are liars.

1John 3 --- John is talking about the sin against the new covenant...the law of loving God and loving others.

If we sin against these laws we have yet to be born of God....we have yet to even see God.

At a genuine conversion....your heart is changed by the Spirit of God and you now are able to Love God and love others the way Christ loves others....

There is no contradiction...why do we try to make excuses. we should just admit our lack of understanding and as God to reveal His wisdom to us. Instead we try to make human sense of it and say things like....oh well 1Johns 3 he's talking about if you habitually sin....or continue to sin ......John didn't say that....he said plainly...IF YOU SIN YOUR OF THE DEVIL.

The key is understanding what sin. It can't be the old covenant because we all habitually break all of them every day. EVERY DAY.

But Christ fulfilled that law...so now there is a better understanding of the law...Love God and Love others....if you sin against these....it's obvious your of the devil and you have yet to be truly born again.

2007/4/17 0:47Profile
rookie

Re:

DesiJr wrote:

Quote:

Are all born again people mature in Christ?

Do born again people need to confess their sins before our High Priest?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/4/17 2:29Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote,
"If"

...Indeed, "If" :-)

2007/4/17 4:47Profile
DesiJr

Re:

Do born again people need to confess their sins before our High Priest?

Yes.

Whats the first thing that must happen for a person to become a Christian.....

they must have a revelation of God.
A revelation of His Majesty,
A revelation of their corruption,
A revelation of His Grace,

All this by the working of the Holy Spirit.

After these revelations they are enabled by the Spirit to trust and believe that God is able and willing to satisfy the debt for their sin against His law.

Once we receive Christ as our propitiation that law is no longer held against us...YET, our daily dependance on Christ to continue to be our propitiation is what motivates us through the Holy Spirit to Love God and Love others and to confess our sins against the Law that we could not keep but Jesus so graciously fulfilled for us.

So to answer your question..confessing your sin even after you've been born again is a must because it is a witness to God by the Spirit that you are still dependant on HIM to keep you righteous before the eyes of God.

2007/4/17 12:13Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy