SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Our God is reconciled?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PCB

Our God is reconciled?

I wonder can anyone help me out, I am doing a study on 'reconciliation' as an aspect of the atonement.

I remember reading on these forums somewhere that God Himself is the one that is 'reconciled', as well as, or rather than, us. One of Wesley's hymns says 'Our God is reconciled'

Does anyone know how it is that God Himself is the one who is reconciled.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

2007/4/13 5:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Our God is reconciled?

Peter
Can you get access to Leon Morris' book "The Cross in the New Testament"?

He concludes that it is not inappropriate to refer to God being reconciled.

For myself I think in terms of subject and object. Who is the reconciler? That would point to God but the main sense of reconciliation is that two are back together again rather than defining which one has moved. Hence the invention of Wycliffe in the word 'at-one-ment' which as the older versions used it is really the consequence of reconciliation rather than the act of reconciliation itself. As Wycliffe used it and Tyndale it is the fruit of being back in right relationship with God, hence at-one-ness/ment.

Rom 3 tells us that God himself made the propitiation through the penalty born by his son. Christ is the price paid rather than the one who paid the price; God is the propitiator. God is propitiated and man is restored to fellowship.

2007/4/13 5:41Profile
PCB

Re:

thanks v much Ron I will look that book up

Peter

2007/4/16 19:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy