Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Moved with envy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Moved with envy

"And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him" -Acts 7:9

"And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. " -Acts 6:32

These two passages of scripture have stood out to me this past week. It seems to me they are related.

What stands out to me the most is this being [i]moved with envy[/i].

God was with Joseph and his brothers hated him and were even going to kill him(Gen 37:18). But they were stopped by the counsel of Reuben, v21.

Peter declares here that God was with [i]them[/i], that is, He was with the Apostles by the Holy Spirit, and the religous leaders wanted to kill them also. And they were stopped by the counsel of Gamaliel, vs34,40.

It appears to me the same danger is with us.

We too may be moved with jealousy and envy against those whom God has favored with His Spirit, especially when we are at a time of particular dryness. It is especially hard to see others walking in and enjoying the blessings which we so much desire. Ohh beloveds of God, may He help us in this and give us patience, and help us to trust in His hidden plans. And in the wisdom of His dealings with all of us.

And may God help us too, if we have recieved so many blessings of Him, to walk in love towards others, and to not at all provoke them to envy, by any of our ways.

And God give us a heart that we should want to share all His goodness with others and treat none of it as if it were our own. And in love to rejoice to see our brothers and sisters blessed as much as if the blessings were our own.

Grace, and peace, and a heart full of faith be to you and with you all. Amen.

EDIT: corrected spelling mistakes, changed council, should be counsel. Duh!

2007/4/10 11:57Profile

Re: Moved with envy

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
"And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him" -Acts 7:9

"And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. " -Acts 6:32

These two passages of scripture have stood out to me this past week. It seems to me they are related.

What stands out to me the most is this being [i]moved with envy[/i].

God was with Joseph and his brothers hated him and were even going to kill him(Gen 37:18). But they were stopped by the council of Reuben, v21.

Peter declares here that God was with [i]them[/i], that is, He was with the Apostles by the Holy Spirit, and the religous leaders wanted to kill them also. And they were stopped by the council of Gamaliel, vs34,40.

It appears to me the same danger is with us.

We too may be moved with jealousy and envy against those whom God has favored with His Spirit, especially when we are at a time of particular dryness. It is especially hard to see others walking in and enjoying the blessings which we so much desire. Ohh beloveds of God, may He help us in this and give us patience, and help us to trust in His hidden plans. And in the wisdom of His dealings with all of us.

And may God help us too, if we have recieved so many blessings of Him, to walk in love towards others, and to not at all provoke them to envy, by any of our ways.

And God give us a heart that we should want to share all His goodness with others and treat none of it as if it were our own. And in love to rejoice to see our brothers and sisters blessed as much as if the blessings were our own.

Grace, and peace, and a heart full of faith be to you and with you all. Amen.

Brother Chris that is soooo challenging.

Thank you

Jeannette

2007/4/10 17:41
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:

This is a good, strong word. Challenging. What is it about us that doesn't particularly like to see blessings fall on others? Why is the initial secret impulse in us when we hear someone is having a hard time one of pleasant intrigue? Be honest with yourself - it's true! It may last a moment before you mortify it, but the spark was still there nonetheless.

2007/4/10 18:21Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Challenging...brother and sister it certainly is challenging to me!

As brother Paul asks...

"What is it about us that doesn't particularly like to see blessings fall on others?"

Whatver it is, it is deep within our hearts. :-(

2007/4/10 18:30Profile

Quote:

ChrisJD:

This is very good, brother Chris. One action that people will take who are moved with envy is to slander the person who is being blessed. [i]My[/i] discontentment can lead me to tear down and try to take away the blessings of others. What satisfaction does one gain from this? I don't know...but it does reveal the great need of men's hearts.

I think many church splits come out of this...envy...envy for position, slandering someone whose spiritual status you wish was your own. A heart full of pride will be moved with envy.

How can a humble, broken person be moved with envy?

2007/4/10 18:45
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Thanks for this searching word, Chris.
Search me O Lord, and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts, and see if there be any wicked way in me...
It has helped me to ask the Lord to show me the reality of truth of the body of Christ. So then, if God shows my brother things he hasn't shown me, if my brother excels in "seeing," do I envy my own eyes? For we are members one of another. Or if my brother is given to speak with great anointing, something which I have not been given to do, do I rejoice? Or do I get that bitter-green taste in my mouth, secretly wishing God would give me that glory?
These are deeply searching things, and we are thankful God is searching us out like this, for it's an indication He is preparing us, readying us, for the Glory He is about to reveal.
"And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. Now ye ARE THE BODY OF CHRIST..." (1 Cor. 12.26) So then, Let HIM be glorified in His own Body.
Thank you, Lord, for searching us to the depths, for discovering these deadly things within us, like envy. Look within us with those Eyes of Fire, discover for us all filthiness not only of the flesh, but also of the spirit... and let that Fire burn it all out of us. Cause us to know your own beautiful humility, and the passion you had to see the Father glorified in all things. And may the passion to see YOU glorified in the Body of Christ become the motive that governs all we say and do both toward You, and also toward one another. Cause us to be faithful stewards of the manifold grace of God, that whatever You have given us, we know You have given it to us, actually, for OTHERS. Amen.
AD

2007/4/10 21:51Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Roniya,

"One action that people will take who are moved with envy is to slander the person who is being blessed. My discontentment can lead me to tear down and try to take away the blessings of others. What satisfaction does one gain from this? I don't know...but it does reveal the great need of men's hearts.

I think many church splits come out of this...envy...envy for position, slandering someone whose spiritual status you wish was your own. A heart full of pride will be moved with envy."

I noticed Proverbs 11:9 this morning and thought of what you said here.

ADisciple,

"...show me the reality of truth of the body of Christ"

"Cause us to know your own beautiful humility, and the passion you had to see the Father glorified in all things."

Thank you brother. May it be so.

2007/4/13 22:16Profile

ADisciple said

Quote:
"And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. Now ye ARE THE BODY OF CHRIST..." (1 Cor. 12.26) So then, Let HIM be glorified in His own Body.

Some weeks ago, I understood (for the first time) that 'discerning the Lord's body' (1 Cor 11:29) is something about being one, rather than somehow [i]judging[/i] who is part of it or who is not. The Lord's body is the loaf.

I see that it is possible to envy particular ministries, but I believe all true ministry is borne out of genuine submission to God... then He trusts a person with authority (maybe only a little, but HIS authority nevertheless). So, the challenge imho, is to seek out the Lord's will and do it. If we are still unwilling to take the lowest place we know of, are we really ready for His service? (Sorry if I'm rambling a bit... I guess I think someone will be following my train of thought here....)

Oswald Chambers (though I don't know where) expounded the thought that to be part of the loaf - bread ready to be broken to the world - it is necessary to be flailed that the chaff blow away or is burned up; then to be milled into flour; then to be kneaded into shape; then finally to be baked in a very hot oven.

At the end of this, there IS no partiality. All we are can be defined as crumbs waiting to be separated. And who wants to be part of the crust, which bore the brunt of the heat?

Beloved, let us be grateful the Lord knows how much we can stand, and He will only crush us (the olive) [i]so[/i] much. GaryE, many months ago, explained that this way ... that the oil of healing may appear for others. That thought blessed my socks off!

It is blessed to come to the place where we can give ourselves up to His choices first and often, trusting His judgment more and more.

2007/4/14 15:38
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Dorcas,

"If we are still unwilling to take the lowest place we know of, are we really ready for His service?"

Thank you, and thank you for this above.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=6567&commentView=itemComments]Everyone needs to do nursery (compilation)[/url]

2007/4/16 10:14Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Dealing With Envy

From "The Christian In Complete Armour" by Wm Gurnall, Part I, page 430:

"Hast thou any grudgings in thy heart against thy brother? Think it not enough to quench these sparks of hell-fire; but labour to kindle a heavenly fire of love to him, so as to set thee a praying heartily for him. I have known one who, when he had some envious, unkind thoughts stirring in him against anyone-- and who so holy as may not find such vermin sometimes creeping about him?-- would not stay long from the throne of grace; but going there, that he might enter the stronger protest against them, would most earnestly pray for the increase of these good things in them, which he before had so seemed to grudge (ie, desiderate, or wish for himself) and so revenged himself of those envious lustings, which at any time rose in his heart against others."

Meaning, when I see my brother with successes or honours (whether in the natural or spiritual realms) that I wish were my own, I pray for that brother earnestly asking God to INCREASE in him those very things, and bless him even greater. And so doing I "take vengeance" on those envious thoughts that rose up in my heart. Thank-you, Mr. Gurnall. Thank-you, Lord.

AD

2007/4/26 0:05Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy