SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : NEEDED: hosting for 130 gb's of sermons (server)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 NEEDED: hosting for 130 gb's of sermons (server)

Saints,

There is a need for someone or someone that runs a hosting company to help host the 130 gb's of sermons at sermonindex. The current host is working but is very slow at times and I am looking for possibly an additional 2 download servers to be established for the sermons.

If you run a christian school, company, server hosting, etc and are intested in helping this ministry then people do contact us.

I ask all the saints to pray that this will work out and God will allow this site to grow as He permits.

2007/4/3 14:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: NEEDED: hosting for 130 gb's of sermons (server)

Just a suggestion, but if you are hurting for space some why not just trim out the fat? I mean, there have to be hundreds if not a couple thousand sermons on this site that simply generate little to no interest, and are probably of little profit?

2007/4/3 15:51Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

KingJimmy, you missed the point... part of what makes this site great is that you can find a diamond in the rough. You can find a sermon by someone like George Verwer or Brother Andrew that may not be available on any other site, listen to it and get blown away -and your neighbor could think nothing of the same sermon.

Greg makes all these sermons available as a resource to believers, people are going to respont to different speakers with different ammounts of impact. You know, I love Leonard Ravenhill, but there are times when I'd rather listen to his son David. I doubt many people on this site would come out punching to save David Ravenhill's sermons in light of his fathers, but I really don't think that it is up to anyone to decide what is better or worse as far as the word of God is concerned in the sermons on this site.

2007/4/3 16:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Just a suggestion, but if you are hurting for space some why not just trim out the fat? I mean, there have to be hundreds if not a couple thousand sermons on this site that simply generate little to no interest, and are probably of little profit?

The main reason for having a newer hosting situation firstly is "security" secondly is a "need of space" and the reason why I want multiple servers with the content is multi-fold also, firstly so there will be "multiple download links" which will help as site traffic increases, this has too be done also because of bandwidth issues. Secondly to be able to offer these sermons to other websites so I can host those materials on servers such as are going to be setup.

This is a important need and I do hope the saints at SermonIndex pray that God will guide the right people to help me with this process. That God would lay it on certain people's hearts to help this ministry in hosting these materials.

2007/4/3 17:42Profile
PassingThru

Re: NEEDED: hosting for 130 gb's of sermons (server)

Although it won't save storage space, implementing BitTorrent on the popular downloads would allow users to reduce SermonIndex bandwidth costs and make downloads more responsive. I imagine most users have idle bandwidth, especially off hours.

It should be possible to set it up in a fashion that preserves the download statistics, especially since the Sermonindex server(s) would initiate each download and then indicate peers to the user's BitTorrent application.

PassingThru

2007/4/3 17:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Although it won't save storage space, implementing BitTorrent on the popular downloads would allow users to reduce SermonIndex bandwidth costs and make downloads more responsive. I imagine most users have idle bandwidth, especially off hours.

It should be possible to set it up in a fashion that preserves the download statistics, especially since the Sermonindex server(s) would initiate each download and then indicate peers to the user's BitTorrent application.

I have spoken to some people on this issue and the problem with bittorrent is to maintain the file credibility of it still being the sermonindex file. Abuse and tampering could make it a futile process. I could have setup a private peer to peer network but I would need help with that in every aspect. It would be alot of work!

2007/4/3 19:49Profile
winthrup7

Re:

Just wanted to confirm/clarify:

1. Sermonindex needs more adequate space for content/storage (If you are going to set up something new, I would suggest starting at 400GB as a minimum seeing that you are at 90% plus capacity now)

2. You would like to have 1 or 2 mirror sites with all the sermons and other downloaded content.

[Q: Do you have any stats on how much bandwidth you currently take up? I ask because of hosting limits, etc.]

3. You want new hosting for security. Although you grateful for the current blessing you have, could you elaborate on what security would be adequate? Meaning, is a typical hosting company sufficient? Wasn't quite sure what you meant.

4. Also, what are the server's requirements? Can it run on linux, or is it Windows right now? DB: Sql server? or mysql/oracle/etc. (For some mirroring software, this makes a big difference).

thanks.

-w

2007/4/3 21:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
1. Sermonindex needs more adequate space for content/storage (If you are going to set up something new, I would suggest starting at 400GB as a minimum seeing that you are at 90% plus capacity now)

Good suggestion brother.

Quote:
2. You would like to have 1 or 2 mirror sites with all the sermons and other downloaded content.

[Q: Do you have any stats on how much bandwidth you currently take up? I ask because of hosting limits, etc.]

Yes, I think it would be good to get up at least 1 mirror of ALL the media content on sermonindex. 130 gb's.

Quote:
3. You want new hosting for security. Although you grateful for the current blessing you have, could you elaborate on what security would be adequate? Meaning, is a typical hosting company sufficient? Wasn't quite sure what you meant.

Right I am running a dedicated server myself which is secured but it might be better to get hosting in a more secure enviroment where security is taken care of by professionals. I am praying that some big christian organisation will take the MAIN hosting of the sermons.

Quote:
4. Also, what are the server's requirements? Can it run on linux, or is it Windows right now? DB: Sql server? or mysql/oracle/etc. (For some mirroring software, this makes a big difference).

I have hosting for the SQL and PHP with gospelcom.net which is on a different server. All I need is hosting [b]strictly[/b] needed for the media files. It does not matter if its a linux or windows box. Right now I am using a windows box. Yes, it might be easier to have the "mirror" server to be linux to backup the content.

2007/4/3 23:20Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Maybe you could consider approaching somebody like YWAM (Youth With A Mission) or the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association? They are pretty big groups, but have a dedication to preaching, missions, revival, etc. Not to mention, they have very deep pockets, and a lot of tech. support. For them to host your content would probably be a very small thing for them to do.

2007/4/4 6:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Maybe you could consider approaching somebody like YWAM (Youth With A Mission) or the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association? They are pretty big groups, but have a dedication to preaching, missions, revival, etc. Not to mention, they have very deep pockets, and a lot of tech. support. For them to host your content would probably be a very small thing for them to do.

Great ideas brother! I recieved a email that I should contact ccel.org which I did also. I will seek out these organisations and others that I come across. This is really the reason I posted this thread is to get the consensus and thoughts of the saints that visit this resource. I thank God for everyone over the last 4 years that have given great input and thoughts to help this resource grow to what it has become. God has used all the body of Christ to provide a resource for all the body of Christ. His ways are perfect.

2007/4/4 12:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy