Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Christian Life ~ Various

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: The Concentration of Personal Sin

[b]The Concentration of Personal Sin[/b] by Oswald Chambers

Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips. (Isaiah 6:5)

When I get into the presence of God, I do not realize that I am a sinner in an indefinite sense; I realize the concentration of sin in a particular feature of my life. A man will say easily - 'Oh, yes, I know I am a sinner'; but when he gets into the presence of God he cannot get off with that statement. The conviction is concentrated on - I am this, or that, or the other. This is always the sign that a man or woman is in the presence of God. There is never any vague sense of sin, but the concentration of sin in some personal particular. God begins by convicting us of the one thing fixed on in the mind that is prompted by His Spirit; if we will yield to His conviction on that point, He will lead us down to the great disposition of sin underneath. That is the way God always deals with us when we are consciously in His presence.

This experience of the concentration of sin is true in the greatest and the least of saints as well as in the greatest and the least of sinners. When a man is on the first rung of the ladder of experience, he may say - I do not know where I have gone wrong; but the Spirit of God will point out some particular definite thing. The effect of the vision of the holiness of the Lord on Isaiah was to bring home to him that he was a man of unclean lips. "And he laid it upon my mouth, and said Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged." The cleansing fire had to be applied where the sin had been concentrated.

2007/4/16 16:02Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Counsel Based on Tradition

[b]Counsel Based on Tradition[/b] by Theodore Epp

Job 8:1-10

Bildad made no appeal to the revealed will of God but only to whatever wisdom the fathers may have taught.

He asked if God perverted justice. The answer, of course, is no. Then Bildad used this premise to argue that Job must have lost his children because of some transgression on their part. He also charged Job with lack of purity and uprightness.

This was little help to a man who, according to Job 1, had offered sacrifices to God just in case his children had offended God in something they had said or done. Then to have them accused of some sin that was so great that they all died because of it was a terrible charge to make.

The arguments of Bildad were all from appearance and based on suppositions. He used many "ifs." He did not really know, but he supposed many things. This was the way he interpreted the situation, but his interpretation was wrong.

Christians need to learn to distinguish between facts and how the facts are interpreted. Just because we read something does not mean we may assume that something else is also true.

Just because one person interprets a set of facts a certain way does not mean that his interpretation is correct. All the facts may not be given. And often the withholding of one essential fact can change the interpretation.

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ" (Col. 2:8).

2007/4/19 9:09Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

[b]Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?[/b] by A.B. Simpson

Who shall separate us from-the love of Christ? After all the possible obstacles and enemies have been mentioned, one by one, the triumphant answer comes: In all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us (v. 37). Our trials will be turned to helps; our enemies will be taken prisoners and made to fight our battles. Like the weights that keep the tall pendulum clock going, so our very difficulties will prove incentives to faith and prayer and occasions for God's becoming more real to us. We shall acquire from our troubles not only deliverance but triumph, and in all these things we shall be even more than conquerors through Him who loved us. Our security depends not upon our unchanging love but on the love of God in Christ Jesus toward us. It is not the clinging arms of the baby that keep it from falling, but the strong arms of the loving mother. God loves us with an everlasting love, and although all else may change He will never leave us, never forsake us.

2007/4/21 13:46Profile

Re: The Christian Life - Various

from Theodore Epp; posted on 19/4/2007

Quote:
Christians need to learn to distinguish between facts and how the facts are interpreted.

Just because one person interprets a set of facts a certain way does not mean that his interpretation is correct. [b]All the facts may not be given. And often the withholding of one essential fact can change the interpretation.[/b]

I've heard it said that where there is [i]criticism[/i], it is usually because someone doesn't have [u]all[/u] the facts.

2007/4/21 15:14
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Let Us Take It Personally

[b]Let Us Take It Personally[/b] by A.W. Tozer

What a difference it makes when we humans cease being general and become pointed and personal in our approach to God! We then come to see that all that God did was for each of us. It was for me that holy men spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. For me Christ died-and when He arose on the third day it was for me. When the promised Holy Spirit came it was to continue in me the work He had been doing for me, since the morning of the Creation! So, I have every right to claim all of the riches of the Godhead in mercy given. What a blessed thought-that an infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children! He does not distribute Himself that each may have a part, but to each one He gives all of Himself as fully as if there were no others. All that He is and all that He has done is for us and for all who share the common salvation.

2007/4/22 18:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy