SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Polite request from a non-American

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Polite request from a non-American

To all my friends in the Colonies

I wonder if you Yanks could try to remember that not all of us are from your side of the Pond. Sometimes you post about things and people we've never heard of.

A reent one about Kensington church for example. I've heard that there is a church in Kensington, London, called Kensington Temple, but never heard of aany other place or church called Kensington!

What is specially confusing re place names for us Brits is that many cities in America are named for places in the UK

Thanks Awwwwfully Dear old chaps...

Jeannette :-P

2007/3/26 15:12
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Polite request from a non-American

Do a google search on 'Kensington Church Detroit'. That's what I did. Jeannette, if you get a chance, since you're in the UK, you should try to meet George Verwer, he's the founder of Operation Mobilization and he currently resides in London and leads a lot of prayer groups for missions.

He's an American who learned to love Britain =p

2007/3/26 15:19Profile

Re:

littleGift-

i expected to read the words "Please stop sending your missionaries over here" based on the title of your post :0)

In Christ - Jim

2007/3/26 15:22
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Don't feel bad, Jeanette. I'm from the USA (though not a Yank - I'm a Texan) and I've never heard about this Kensington thing either. And I don't feel compelled to research it, either. There's enough stuff going on in my own life to keep me busy for ages.

I lift a cup of tea to you! ;-)

Brother Paul

2007/3/26 15:44Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Don't feel bad, Jeanette. I'm from the USA (though not a Yank - I'm a Texan) and I've never heard about this Kensington thing either. And I don't feel compelled to research it, either. There's enough stuff going on in my own life to keep me busy for ages.

I lift a cup of tea to you! ;-)

Thanks to all HAHAHA. You are referring to the Boston Tea Party, Paul?

I thought it was time to lighten up a little, I've had quite an intensive time today. Although the posts about Kenisngton Church seems very serious and of concern.

I do remember there's suppposed to be a difference between Yanks and other kinds of Americans but am not sure what it is - something to do with the Civil War?

We Welsh have a similar problem. One way to insult a Welshman is to call him English or say he comes from England.

And there's no real difference between Americans and Canadians, is there...

Try saying that to a Canadian!!!

Actually I'm ony half - or so - Welsh as both grandfathers came from over the border in England.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/3/26 16:10

Re:

Quote:

jimdied2sin wrote:
littleGift-

i expected to read the words "Please stop sending your missionaries over here" based on the title of your post :0)

In Christ - Jim

LOL Jim

Someone like David Wilkerson would be OK, but not those WOF's or Purpose-driven people, or folks who pray and make gold fillings in teeth, or gold dust or "angel feathers" fall on people. Or whatever new fad they have these days.

Why do you Americans have to be so [i]extreme[/i]. Bigger and better, or bigger and worse, than everyone else...

Love in Him

jeannette ;-)

2007/3/26 16:16
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
. You are referring to the Boston Tea Party, Paul?

Hehe, no, actually. Just trying to have a bit of fun. Do the Welsh not drink tea?

Quote:
One way to insult a Welshman is to call him English or say he comes from England.

Yes, I've heard of that. Everybody gets insulted if you mix up their heritage. The Scots don't like the English, and the Irish don't like the English, and the Welsh don't like the English. I sort of feel sorry for Ron Bailey (I can see why people don't like the English). :-P

It sort of reminds me of Russia. The Poles hate the Russians, the Czechs hate the Russians, the Serbians, the Ukrainians, Armenians (not to be confused with...well, you know), the Georgians, the Finns. Basically, [i]all[/i] the countries (except for Communist China) bordering Russia disdain being mistaken as "Russian". It's because of the years and years of oppresion.

I suppose it's the same deal for England. As far as Canada goes, I don't really know any American who would be insulted if they were thought to be Canadian. The [i]Canadian[/i] would probably be insulted, though! The only thing I can think of is if the American was a military guy he might take offense, as the Canadian military is laughed at here.

2007/3/26 16:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I sort of feel sorry for Ron Bailey (I can see why people don't like the English).

English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh... you can call me anything you like, as long as you don't call me late for my cup of tea.

2007/3/26 16:54Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
you can call me anything you like, as long as you don't call me late for my cup of tea.

Hey, since Jeanette didn't take me up on my offer, maybe you'd like to join me for that cup?

Yes, yes, I'm a Texan who drinks tea. Couple that with what I do for a living and I guarantee you'll never meet a stranger person on earth!

Brother Paul :-)

2007/3/26 17:06Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Nothing like a bit of levity!

As far as I'm concerned a Yankee today is one who lives in "New" England, that or a baseball player from N'yok. The name does originate from the civil was as far as I know. Confederates (south) verses the Yanks from up North.

I was English for 20 months when I was 8-9. Well at least I lived there and wanted it to stay that way! Alas twas not to be. I did get to visit Wales though.

Warmest Regards,

Doug

2007/3/26 17:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy