SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
heartsoffire

Re:

“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:8-9 NAS95)

2003/7/29 0:07Profile
heartsoffire

Re:

Todd,

Verse context...

“For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain. One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons." This testimony is true. For this reason reprove them severely so that they may be sound in the faith, not paying attention to Jewish myths and commandments of men who turn away from the truth. To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled. They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.” (Titus 1:10-16 NAS95)

2003/7/29 0:10Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Legalism and Holiness appear to be mirror images of each other. But what could be more holy than losing the affections for the things of this world and gazing into the light of His glory and grace.

I think legalism is a two way street. Some show their legalism by what they don't do and disguise it as holiness and others, less talked about, disguise their legalism as "freedom in Christ."

The pharisees not only made the law unbearable (the first group), but then conveniently found loopholes for themselves (the second group). We are all too quick these days to attack someone who has come to a realization that there is more to this life than the pursuit of happiness. Underneath the venear of this world lies a secret place. A place where all desires pass away, and the Lord fills the heart. But it can only come at a price. "The Lord suffers no rivals." (A. W. Tozer) I once heard a preacher say that salvation is the only free gift that will cost you your life. But what a trade off.

You may celebrate what you are free to do. But I'll show you my joy by what I'm free from. The "good things" of this world are a heavy weight that have weighed down many a "liberated" Christian. Beware lest your Christian liberty becomes your biggest chain.

To the one who has found this freedom in Christ: let them call you a legalist, or any name that they can come up with. You just continue to go on to the fullness of Christ untill the veil of this life that separates you from Him seems as thin as a tissue. You will be misunderstood by a Church that has not comprehended the life which has taken ahold of you.(this Paragraph was inspired by the sermon The Cost Of Going All The Way With God by David Wilkerson).

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/7/29 0:56Profile
TaKa

Louisiana

Re: Entertainment

I believe that I am responsible for all those around me who are touched by my influence. That's a very good point.

In my church, there is no difference between full-time paid staff and lay people who have expressed that they feel called to ministry and who have gone through leadership training and help with the assistance of the ministries of the church.

Moses appointed men over thousands and hundreds so that the burden of ministry could be shared.

No church member is neglected or passed over. Everyone is prayed for by name every day, and everyone receives a call every week to see how they're doing and if they need specific prayer for any area of their lives.

The arms take care of the hands and the hands take care of the fingers.

Yes, ministry means servanthood. Jesus taught servant leadership, and that those who would be great among us would be the servants.

That's how we do ministry in our church. Check out Exodus 18 if you'd like to see where we got the original idea for this.

I am also of the camp that believes we are not all sinners. Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil. Paul said that if we have been baptised into Christ we have been (always using the past tense) baptised into his death. Sin has no more rule over us.

The Scripture says that if we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. And this is the key: Christ IN us is our hope of glory.

AW Tozer, in his book entitled When He is Come, says that it is because we don't give the Holy Spirit His rightful place in our lives that we fail to live a victorious sin-free life.

There's an old book by John Wesley that talks about this as well. I think it's called Entire Sactification: Possible in this life.

Alot of Christians believe that it is inevitable that we're going to sin everyday for the rest of our lives. To them I would recommend a book called Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray.

In this book Murray teaches on Romans 6 and 7 and makes a few really good observations. When Paul is struggling with sin in chapter 6, notice how many times the words me, my and I are used. The Holy Spirit is not even mentioned once.

Then read chapter 7 and find out the key to victory. It is the Holy Spirit doing the work and not us trying to do it by our own strength.

Man, I need to get myself in here more often. There have been alot of posts on this topic since I last visited, and it seems like it was just a few days ago. :-P

I pray everyone is having a good week. Talk to you guys again soon!

2003/7/29 18:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy