SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Brengle's Account

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Brengle's Account

Saints, this article speaks of something we all on SermonIndex need to desire, nay, [i]yearn[/i] for to happen in our lives. This account by Brengle caused a deep stirring in my inner man...God wants us to know there is something far greater than any of us have experienced thus far in our walks - a graciously bestowed purity, a triumphant victory over the dark vices in our hearts, a deep, inner cleansing that causes the face of men to shine. My mind is entrenched in the thought of holiness unto the Lord, the obsession of yearning for purity in heart, of blessed victory over inner sin, lust, pride, hypocrisy, unbelief, carnality. Brethren, I know the scriptures tell us to count it all joy wen we fall into divers temptations, knowing that the trying of our faith worketh patience, ah, but this doesn't stop me from yearning for a holy, cleansed heart, free of deceit [i]now[/i]. This mysterious heart-change is mentioned throughout the holy hymns by saints like Wesley, Hoffman, and Crosby. O Lord, please give me this clean heart so that I may never offend thee again...and I ask also that you give it to any brother or sister reading these forums that may desire this blessed bestowal in all humility of faith. - Bro. Paul

"When we are converted, our sins are forgiven, and we feel a sweet peace within, and we love God and man, and want to do good and be good all the time, and we have power to do good, and to overcome bad habits and temptation, but there is still something in our hearts that needs to be removed before we are holy. That something within, the Bible calls, "the old man." It is the old nature that gets angry when people or things do not suit us; that is deceitful, and proud, and unclean, and disobedient, and silly, and selfish. Of course, conversion gives a great blow to this 'old man,' and subdues him, and makes him behave himself, so that he no longer acts so badly as he once did; but he is still alive, and watching his chance to get the victory again. And, sad to say, he often does get the victory, causing converted people to do and say things that are wrong, and that grieve and quench the Holy Spirit. The "old man" causes quarrels and jealousies, and envyings and evil speakings, in churches and in Corps, and leads to backslidings of all kinds, and the ruin of many Christian lives.

Before we can be holy, this "old man" must be put off, this evil within must die, this [i]seed of all sin[/i] must be destroyed, and this is something that can and does take place just as soon after conversion as we see the need and the possibility of its being done, and come to Jesus with all our heart, and with perfect faith to have it done.

Some people say that we cannot get rid of this evil nature until we die; but we must stick to the Bible, and believe what that Book says. And the Bible certainly teaches that we can be made holy in this life. The Bible says, "Be ye holy" and that means now, not after death. The Bible says, "Put off the old man, which is corrupt and put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." (Eph. 4:22-24) We are told to put off all these: "anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." And we are told to "be filled with the Spirit." All this is to take place now.

We read of the disciples who "were all filled with the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:4), and of "Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 6:5), and of believers whose hearts were purified by faith (Acts 15:9) long before they got to Heaven. God is no respecter of persons, and just as He gave this great blessing to the early Christians, He will surely give it to us, when we give ourselves fully to Him.

I shall never forget how one Sunday afternoon, after hearing of the possibility and blessedness of a pure heart, a beautiful girl of sixteen walked straight up to the penitent-form, fell on her knees, and lifting her face to Heaven with tears, told the Lord how she wanted a clean heart filled with the Holy Spirit just then. She saw that she need not wait, but that now was the accepted time. And oh! how God blessed her! Soon the smiles were chasing away the tears, and the joy of Heaven was shining on her face. Years after, I found her on the platform, a Lieutenant, with her face still shining, and her heart still cleansed.

And so, my dear young Comrade, this priceless blessing may be yours. Jesus has died to purchase this uttermost salvation, and it is your Heavenly Father's will for you, just now. Have faith in God, give yourself utterly to Him, even now, and begin to seek the blessing with a determination never to stop seeking until it is yours, and you shall not be long without it. Praise the Lord!

Saviour, to Thee my soul looks up, My present Saviour Thou; In all the confidence of hope I claim the blessing now.

'Tis done! Thou dost this moment save, With full salvation bless; Salvation through Thy blood I have, And spotless love and peace."

- Samuel Logan Brengle

2007/3/23 3:48Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Brengle's Account

No doubt, we can identify with the fight within, for the 'old man' to be defeated and to find the holiness and life that God desires for us.

Sad fact is, while we do want holiness, we want it on our terms and conditions rather than God's.

'Abstain from every form of evil', 1Thess 5v22,
yet we will go where 'we' want, dress how 'we' want and do as 'we' please.

Hence, the strength of the old man and the flesh, and the weakness of the spirit to accomplish what should have been accomplished by now.

Holiness and the defeat of the old man is closer than we would imagine, if only we desired it as much as God does.

God bless.

2007/3/23 5:47Profile

Re: Brengle's Account

Brengle is not the only one who sought this! I'm not going to argue with anyone about what the Lord showed this woman that I knew years ago. This is her testimony (given by a third party - me!) And this is only one of many descriptions of what she said the Lord required of "her."

She and her husband were church-going folk but at social gatherings (in the 1940's) when everyone would square dance, she and her husband would too. It was one of their favorite things to do. The Lord showed her the even though the dance was not bad in and of itself, men were still lusting after her and other women. She didn't run and preach to the others but she did give up dancing and when any would ask why, she would tell.

She didn't want to cause anyone else to sin and she gave up something that she enjoyed for the Lord sake, not her own. Some people I've come across today (and I used to be one of them), I believe would say, "You've got to work out your own salvation, so you work on your own lust and I'm going to keep dancing, in the name of Jesus! Hallelujah!!"

I believe that there ARE a remnant of people who want to live a holy life and seek the Lord with all that is within them to obtain it. We cannot do it on our own - there is no good thing in our flesh that we should even think gives us the ability! Time spent in prayer and more prayer and even more prayer - along with the Word!! Well, that's my two cents anyway!!

God bless....

2007/3/23 7:57
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Quote:
This account by Brengle caused a deep stirring in my inner man...God wants us to know there is something far greater than any of us have experienced thus far in our walks - a graciously bestowed purity, a triumphant victory over the dark vices in our hearts, a deep, inner cleansing that causes the face of men to shine. My mind is entrenched in the thought of holiness unto the Lord, the obsession of yearning for purity in heart, of blessed victory over inner sin, lust, pride, hypocrisy, unbelief, carnality.

I too want that blessed experience, we need to get rid of our old man and deliverance from the indwelling sins.We need the experience of the cross again and again to have victory over sin, it's the blood our cover of sins, very present sin needs to be washed away, dying with Christ dayly so that my sin nature will not control me.
may the Holy Spirit have control of our bodies, souls, and spirits and sanctify them entirely.

Call it perfect love, entire sanctification, baptisme of the Holy Ghost, higher or deeper life, a second blessing or second work of grace.
We know from the past them men and women of God have really experienced not only deliverence from the power of sin but from the indwelling sin and their service for God has been annoited in a fresh way, so their witness for Christ became very effective and powerful.

May God bestow us his blessings as we seek his face and will.

2007/3/23 19:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy