SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : with twain he covered his feet

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HopeinChrist

with twain he covered his feet

Isaiah 6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

I'm not trying to be funny. This just struck me today. I understand why he would cover his eyes and that two were needed to fly but why would he cover his feet? Any ideas?
Hope

2007/3/21 16:54Profile

Re: with twain he covered his feet

Two wings cover his face to shield his eyes and ears from beholding the evils on earth. Or, conversely, the dazzling brilliance of the LORD's presence is too much for the poor creature to behold directly.

Two wings cover his feet to stop him from moving to and fro by his own will.

Two wings outstretched to glide wheresoever the wind (Holy Ghost) takes him.

This is only my own private interpretation. Anyone else?

2007/3/21 18:56
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This is only my own private interpretation. Anyone else?

What comes to my mind is the picture of these angelic covering themselves comprehensively in the presence of God's holiness. This appears to me to be top-to-toe humility and submission.

2007/3/22 6:02Profile

Re:

Don't you mean "modesty"?

2007/3/22 19:59
HopeinChrist

Thanks to both of you for sharing your insight on this. You have expanded my understanding.
Hope

2007/3/22 21:15Profile

Re:

You bet. Let us know if you find anything else on this subject.

2007/3/22 22:03
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Matthew Henry's Insight

Here's what the venerable Matthew Henry had to say about these verses. I am glad to notice how in-line Ron and Corey's insights are with the Puritan's! SermonIndex is truly a good place to grow and learn and ask questions.

"It is the glory of the angels that they are seraphim, have heat proportionable to their light, have abundance, not only of divine knowledge, but of holy love. Special notice is taken of their wings (and of no other part of their appearance), because of the use they made of them, which is designed for instruction to us. They had each of them six wings, not stretched upwards (as those whom Ezekiel saw, ch. 1:11), but, 1. Four were made use of for a covering, as the wings of a fowl, sitting, are; with the two upper wings, next to the head, they covered their faces, and with the two lowest wings they covered their feet, or lower parts. This bespeaks their great humility and reverence in their attendance upon God, for he is greatly feared in the assembly of those saints, Ps. 89:7. They not only cover their feet, those members of the body which are less honourable (1 Co. 12:23), but even their faces. Though angel’s faces, doubtless, are much fairer than those of the children of men (Acts 6:15), yet in the presence of God, they cover them, because they cannot bear the dazzling lustre of the divine glory, and because, being conscious of an infinite distance from the divine perfection, they are ashamed to show their faces before the holy God, who charges even his angels with folly if they should offer to vie with him, Job 4:18. If angels be thus reverent in their attendance on God, with what godly fear should we approach his throne! Else we do not the will of God as the angels do it. Yet Moses, when he went into the mount with God, took the veil from off his face. See 2 Co. 3:18. 2. Two were made use of for flight; when they are sent on God’s errands they fly swiftly (Dan. 9:21), more swiftly with their own wings than if they flew on the wings of the wind. This teaches us to do the work of God with cheerfulness and expedition."

2007/3/22 22:13Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Corey_H on 2007/3/23 0:59:38
Don't you mean "modesty"?

Are you wanting to distinguish between modesty and humility?

2007/3/23 6:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
PaulWest on 2007/3/23 3:13:41
Here's what the venerable Matthew Henry had to say about these verses.

Thanks Paul, this is vintage Matthew Henry!

2007/3/23 6:57Profile
Intelligent1

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also Yahweh sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up... Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. Isaiah 6: 1-2.

That is a description of the creators dressed in their one piece space suits fitted with six small jet engines, two on their backs, two on their hands, and two at their feet, these ones for steering purposes.

2010/9/10 3:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy