SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what should we wear?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
myfirstLove

Re:

This dressing stuff isn't that hard to understand, but when self is in the way you become blind to the simpliest truth!

When dressing we should think modesty just like paul encourage the woman.

punk rock dressing is NOT modest. I use to be into punk scene and there is NOTHING modest about punks.

I would think modesty would be not drawing too much attention to yourself, being simple.

1 Timothy 2:8-10

8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

Paul says dress in a way that is proper and appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

I don't believe that punk rock look is proper, and appropriate for women and men who profess to be godly.

Now I'm not saying that you have to look like a yuppie. I think alot of the way yuppie's dress is not simple either. Don't let the real clean look fool you. The clean shiny suits and jewlerys are not simple dress.

I dress in t-shirts and jeans most of the time.

Melody green has a really good article on modesty dress for girls and guys.

2007/3/21 19:43Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

myfirstlove

i agree, a punkrocker dont 'look' godly, and i believe this statement from Paul Washer is true,

"if your clothing is a frame for your body its sensual and God hates it, if your clothing is a frame for your face then God is pleased whit your clothing"

but..... again, many people in suits are devils even thou they look Godly.... and its a culture thing, some clothing you find appropriate another culture find offensive...

but as for us in the west, i believe as you say in modesty, we should be modest in clothing ourselves, we don't dress to please the world, we represent Jesus Christ. So lets dress in a way that is appropriate.

modest=

G2887
κόσμιος
kosmios
Thayer Definition:
1) well arranged, seemly, modest
Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G2889 (in its primary sense)

Strong's
G2887
κόσμιος
kosmios
kos'-mee-os
From G2889 (in its primary sense); orderly, that is, decorous: - of good behavior, modest.

and the word 'apparel'

G2689
καταστολή
katastolē
Thayer Definition:
1) a lowering, letting down
2) a garment let down, dress, attire
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G2687
Citing in TDNT: 7:595, 1074

and the word 'shamefacedness' from the KJV in verse 9

G127
αἰδώς
aidōs
Thayer Definition:
1) a sense of shame or honour, modesty, bashfulness, reverence, regard for others, respect
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: perhaps from G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492 (through the idea of downcast eyes)
Citing in TDNT: 1:169, 26

means to me we should dress in a way that dont offend other people, so we should not dress how we [i]feel[/i] like, but how God wants us to dress, in the same way i think smoking is a bad 'witness' for someone who is a Christian, o believe punk rock and similar dresses like the hip hop rap clothes also is a bad way of 'representing' Christ,

but we can still dress in a suit, but if we lack love to the punk rocker or treat them different because what they ware.... or a homeless person... then we are HYPOCRITES,

2007/3/22 4:11Profile
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Re: what should we wear?

May I ask what my wonderful brothers and sisters think of men wearing wonmen's - and women wearing men's clothing?

On the topic, we are free in Christ. We don't have to follow the fads and trends of this world. We have nothing in common anymore! Also the world knows how we should be, and are quick to point out any 'flaw' that a Christian may have.

2007/3/22 5:52Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

joyinjesus8 wrote:
May I ask what my wonderful brothers and sisters think of men wearing wonmen's - and women wearing men's clothing?

On the topic, we are free in Christ. We don't have to follow the fads and trends of this world. We have nothing in common anymore! Also the world knows how we should be, and are quick to point out any 'flaw' that a Christian may have.

i know there is a verse somewhere.....(someone can help give it im grateful) that says a man that dresses in womens clothes is an abomination to the Lord, or something similar if im not mistaken

2007/3/22 9:05Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

hmmhmm,
I think the scripture you are looking for is in Deut 22v5, 'A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman's garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God.

Can I ask, what is all this 'legalism' people keep referring to?

I really don't know.

God bless.

2007/3/22 9:52Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Quote:

Hi, joyinjesus

Do you believe woman shouldn't wear jeans?

2007/3/22 10:07Profile
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re: what should we wear?

Brethren,

This is a pertinent topic, and one that the church of today is largely ignorant of. Father, deliver us from our complacency and our conformity!

As with all aspects of our life, the clothing we wear ought to be distinctive from that of the world (Rom 12:2). If the inside is changed, why can't the outside change?

Could it be that, in our desire to conform, we are really just wanting to fit in with the crowd? Are we afraid of the persecutions that may come if we reject the status quo?

The church used to dictate the culture... could it be that the culture is now dictating the church? We are called to be thermostats, not thermometers!

It is amazing how the evangelical church of today is ruled by the culture she is in. Think of this: around sixty years ago, things like homosexuality, worldy and immodest clothing, drug use and evil music were shunned by the church and the general culture alike. But, the culture has gradually changed. Did the church? Not right away... although we are beginning to see them showing up. This seems to have been the pattern for hundreds of years! Who will stem the flood? Who will stand up and call sin what it is?

Father, deliver us from our complacency!

For the record, my family and I practice modest and gender-distinctive clothing, as well as the woman's headship veiling (I Cor 11). The witnessing opportunities we have had from this are incredible! People in this day of compromise are amazed to see Christians that are willing to be distinctive to please their Lord. Can this be said of some other types of clothing? Our object in dressing this way is to obey God's clear commands and manifest an outward testimony of the inward change God has wrought in our hearts. We do NOT do it because it brings us further merit in the Lord's eyes. Oh God, keep us from that dead legalism! The Christian must be exceedingly careful to never let his salvation rest on his works... rather, we ought to have a FAITH that WORKS!

A thought to ponder on gender-specific clothing: why is it that we go beserk when we see a cross-dressing man acting like a woman, and yet it raises no ilk to see a woman going about in tight jeans and doing a man's activities? :-)

Hallelujah for Jesus!

2007/3/22 12:51Profile
BenK

Harrisburg PA

Re:

How is representing a sports team somehow "better" than representing a style of music?

2007/3/22 12:57Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Quote:
A thought to ponder on gender-specific clothing: why is it that we go beserk when we see a cross-dressing man acting like a woman, and yet it raises no ilk to see a woman going about in tight jeans and doing a man's activities?

Are you saying that women should not wear jeans at all? or just tight jeans?

Now theres a big difference from a transvestite wearing a dress to a asian man wearing a sarong or a scottish wearing a kilt.

Just like there is a big difference from a woman wearing loose pants to a lesbian wearing pants and all the boyish trimmings.

2007/3/22 13:11Profile
Santana

Re:

I think Krispy should invest into some NY Giants jersey's. This whole time I thought he was a good guy :-x

2007/3/22 14:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy