SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am in Highschool and I had a biology teacher who said she was Christian, but believed in evolution

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigQuill09

I am in Highschool and I had a biology teacher who said she was Christian, but believed in evolution

How is this? That would throw off the the creation of man, the way sin came into the world, and basically throwing the WHOLE entire book of Genesis out of the Bible..can someone please explain this to me.

2007/3/20 22:16Profile

Re: I am in Highschool and I had a biology teacher who said she was Christian, but be

BigQuill09,

Many people who are Christians read Genesis as a representational accounting of God creating the universe and mankind. a day for God can be eons for mankind, and thus, within this framework both Genesis and evolution can comfortably co-exist for the Christian.

Bub

2007/3/20 22:43
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: I am in Highschool and I had a biology teacher who said she was Christian, but be

And many more do not...
Have you tried asking your teacher how she reconcilles the two?

2007/3/20 22:50Profile
psalm1

hi big, you are right evolution is the devils religion . It takes faith to believe that fairy tale from hell.Try to get a private meetihg with teach.Before you meet study up on the fossil record. THERE IS NONE! Evolution is bankrupt. NO TRANSITIONAL RECORD. SHOULD BE EVERYWHERE! Dr Carl Baugh[Spelling?] Is a great source.[He has a creation museum in Texas.]Also David Hovine[Spelling?] has a creation museum in Pensacola.Carbon dating is a joke! Dr Baugh has a cowboy boot with a petrafied leg in it. Carbon dates to some ancient time like BC 4000. What a farse!Another BIG BIG BIGGIE,Is separation of species.Play it backwards and it stops immediately. In otherwords a parrot cant make a chicken,and a swan cant make a duck! And get this;a monkey cant make a man.[Pray Pray Pray and ask God for an entrance to this teacher and ask God to go before you]....But if I were you I would do it In private,BUT NOT ALONE ,TAKE A FRIEND.I think you will do fine. please keep me posted!......God bless,David

2007/3/21 0:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
A few years ago it was fairly popular practice for Bible teachers to claim to find in the Scriptures confirmation of almost every new discovery made by science. Apparently no one noticed that the scientist had to find it before the Bible teacher could, and it never seemed to occur to anyone to wonder why, if it was there in the Bible in such plain sight, it took several thousand years and the help of science before anyone saw it.

Now, I believe that everything in the Bible is true, but to attempt to make it a textbook for science is to misunderstand it completely and tragically. The purpose of the Bible is to bring men to Christ, to make them holy and prepare them for heaven. In this it is unique among books, and it always fulfills its purpose when it is read in faith and obedience.

A.W. Tozer

2007/3/21 15:43
Compton

Re:

We can agree that the bible is not a science book per se. The scriptures do not explain how to pasteurize milk or land on the moon.

However the bible remains a book of certain material facts. Christians consider the bible to be book of material history...a book that faithfully represents facts of Earthly history. We regard the essential facts of history recorded in the bible with the same clout that we give modern historical 'research'. We categorize the annals, narritives, memoirs, geaneologies, events, as far more then mere 'wisdom' literature. The scriptures claims of authoritative spiritual truth are intrinsically intertwined with specific records of material history. If we excuse away the written history of the bible, we denude the spiritual authority of the bible.

This is not to say that we can add to what is not written, but that we cannot excuse or explain away what is written.

Blessings,

MC

2007/3/21 19:03Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: answering...

Brother Mike,

"The scriptures claims of authoritative spiritual truth are intrinsically intertwined with specific records of material history. If we excuse away the written history of the bible, we denude the spiritual authority of the bible."

Very much appreciate the way you've put this. Think also of John 3:12 and Luke 16:31.

While the Bible may not be a book of science, or archeology, or history, yet it does touch upon these things and quite often. So when the fashions of secular thought run contrary to what Scripture says shouldn't there be a balance in how we respond?

Must be somewhere in or between these...

[i] Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.[/i]

[i]Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.[/i]

Chris

2007/3/21 20:34Profile

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
And many more do not...
Have you tried asking your teacher how she reconcilles the two?

I was a Biology teacher and don't believe in Evolution - even on scientific grounds!

No doubt someone has already pointed you to Answers in Genesis or other Creationist websites. Look up "Evolution" in the search on this site too, there is at least one recent thread on it.

But, as Bubba said, there are Christians, even ones with a good knowledge of science, who do manage to believe in Evolution as well (how they do it I don't know, but they do!) Which means that Genesis, and no doubt other historical accounts in the Bible, need to be reinterpreted in a non-historical way.

I had just started on a biological sciences degree course when I found the Lord.

A few months later I was challenged by a Christian doctor who said, "How can you believe in Evolution if you're a Christian?"

I was furious, but because he was a doctor and I was only a young first year student, couldn't really argue with him. No doubt you could have the same problem with your teacher. Pray for your teacher that the Lord will open his/her eyes as He did mine.

I was so angry that it brought me up short. I wondered, "Why am I so angry if its only a theory? I must have been brainwashed!"

Suddenly my mind was clear! I began to question the "Theory" and realised very soon that there was a great deal of evidence that made Evolution extremely unlikely even as a scientific hypothesis (a theory has to have had much experimental evidence to suggest its true before it can be called that. Which Evolution doesn't have)

There was even a non-Christian lecturer (he would probably call himself a humanist) who didn't believe in Evolution on scientific grounds.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/3/22 9:45

My Mother and Sister who are both Christians believe that God created the heaven and the earth, while believing that things do evolve. For example, Languages evolve, landscapes change, Islands appear, even today our weather is changing, etc.. etc.. We even evolve in our Christian walk, look at this verse:

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Darwin was demon possessed, however there is nothing wrong with the word evolution when applied to good solid bible teaching.

2007/3/22 10:52
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I think this is about "macroevolution" - the theory of humans evolving from primates; the primates also having evolved from something else that had its ultimate genesis in the sea. This is what people normally think of when they hear the word "evolution": a glob of primordial soup - the slithering motherslug - from which all animate beings had their beginning.

2007/3/22 11:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy