SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : matt 26 ??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

matt 26 ??

When Jesus finished all these words, 2 he said to his disciples,
"You know that in two days' time it will be Passover, and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified."
3 Then the chief priests and the elders of the people assembled in the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas,
and they consulted together to arrest Jesus by treachery and put him to death.
But they said, "Not during the festival, 4 that there may not be a riot among the people."
5 Now when Jesus was in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper,
a woman came up to him with an alabaster jar of costly perfumed oil, and poured it on his head while he was reclining at table.
When the disciples saw this, they were indignant and said, "Why this waste?
It could have been sold for much, and the money given to the poor."
Since Jesus knew this, he said to them, "Why do you make trouble for the woman? She has done a good thing for me.
The poor you will always have with you; but you will not always have me.
6 In pouring this perfumed oil upon my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.
Amen, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be spoken of, in memory of her."
Then one of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, 7 went to the chief priests
8 and said, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver,
and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over.
On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, 9 the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover?"
10 He said, "Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, 'The teacher says, "My appointed time draws near; in your house I shall celebrate the Passover with my disciples."'"
The disciples then did as Jesus had ordered, and prepared the Passover.
When it was evening, he reclined at table with the Twelve.
And while they were eating, he said, "Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me." 11
Deeply distressed at this, they began to say to him one after another, "Surely it is not I, Lord?"
He said in reply, "He who has dipped his hand into the dish with me is the one who will betray me.
12 The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born."
13 Then Judas, his betrayer, said in reply, "Surely it is not I, Rabbi?" He answered, "You have said so."
14 15 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, "Take and eat; this is my body."
Then he took a cup, gave thanks, 16 and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you,
for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.

During Quaker Meeting for Worship in Nashville this last 1st day i was doing a blind Bible reading, something i often do.

I came upon Matt 26 above and can't shake the feeling that something is really wrong with this passage.

It says that the disciples were deeply distressed upon learning that one of them would betray Jesus. But then, the next thing Jesus identifies just who this is, Judas, and then they sit back and eat like nothing just happened. then they allow Judas to do his work??!! with full knowledge of what will happen???!!!

the other part of this passage that i have great difficulty with is "It would be better for that man if he had never been born."

does this mean that God is punishing Judas in hell for betraying Jesus, and also that He created Judas for this role in history?

something to chew on

Bub

2007/3/19 23:27
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: matt 26 ??

Quote:
i was doing a blind Bible reading, something i often do.

Hi Bubba,

I'm not familiar with this. What is a "blind Bible reading"?

Thank you,

Paul

2007/3/19 23:32Profile

Re:

Paul,

a blind Bible reading is when you sit in expectant, meditative worship with two or more persons gathered, waiting upon the Spirit.

hold your Bible with your eyes closed, maybe flip it around a few times so you don't know which is front or back cover, wait, open it when you are ready or "know" to do so, with no intention whatsoever.

95% of the time some passage on the page i open to speaks to my condition at that time. the rest of the time i figure i'm not paying correct attention. :) bub

2007/3/19 23:43
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
hold your Bible with your eyes closed, maybe flip it around a few times so you don't know which is front or back cover, wait, open it when you are ready or "know" to do so, with no intention whatsoever.

Sounds similar to how people use a ouija board. The same principle anyways.

2007/3/20 10:21Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: matt 26 ??

Quote:
I came upon Matt 26 above and can't shake the feeling that something is really wrong with this passage.

...or with the spirit that you are listening to.

2007/3/20 10:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
13 Then Judas, his betrayer, said in reply, "Surely it is not I, Rabbi?" He answered, "You have said so."

Hi Bubba

The same account in John's Gospel (John 13:21 following) gives the impression that this was a private "aside" between Jesus and Judas, in response to John's question. It's likely that only John, "leaning on Jesus' bosom", heard the full exchange, and he was probably too stunned to react - or maybe Jesus told him to say nothing.

Perhaps the others were in the middle of the argument about who would be greatest in the Kingdom!

But this is speculation.

You have to take all the accounts together to get the full picture of any Biblical incident. As with any eyewitness account, or a record of an eyewitness account, different individuals will remember and record different details, and leave out others, often writing only the bare facts.

To trust the Bible as accurate doesn't need "blind" faith, but it does need [b][i]complete trust in the Lord[/i][/b], that He caused the accurate recording of Truth, and of events we need to know about.

To think that there is something wrong with a particular passage, merely because it doesn't make sense to [i]our[/i] understanding is dangerous.

Often, as in this case, there is a simple explantation to the puzzle.

Thanks for the queston, its made me want to have a closer look at the accounts of the Last Supper.

Jeannette

2007/3/20 12:28

Re:

PreachParsly,

Your blasphemy of comparing the Bible with an Ouija board is deeply unsettling.

Bub

2007/3/20 22:29

Re:

Ron, the Spirit i am listening to is the Holy Spirit. I do these readings during Quaker Unprogrammed Meeting for Worship and as Jesus promised, where two or more are gathered in His name.. . He is with us.

The real telling part of your post is that you make no effort to address the issue. that the disciples do nothing to Judas when they learn of what he is to do (betraying Jesus.) this just makes no sense at all. but you are too happy to kill the messenger and smear the Holy Spirit!

bub

2007/3/20 22:35
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
PreachParsly,

Your blasphemy of comparing the Bible with an Ouija board is deeply unsettling.

Bub

I never called the Bible to be equal to a Ouija board. But the way you are using the Bible sounds just like how people use a Ouija board. They just move it around and let "the spirit" control them.

I've heard of several instances of people using the Bible in perverse manners. Once I heard of person putting a Bible in their mail box to scare off evil spirits.

2007/3/21 11:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

In case someone doesn't quite know where I'm coming from...

Just because someone uses a Bible doesn't mean that it is used the way God wants. I'm sure we all know this already. False prophets use the Bible to spread lies. Cults use the Bible. All sorts of people use the Bible in wrong manners.

Some use the Bible as it is a "good luck charm." I once had a friend that was what we call around here "a good ol boy." Meaning he "loved God" and did what was "right" but also loved to get drunk, ect. He would probably fight if someone used God's name in vain. The reason I am mentioning him is that he would never allow anything to sit on top of his Bible at home. No other book, nothing could be on top of it because it was a "holy book." Too bad he wouldn't read and obey it.

God's word is for study and is "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." It was not given for you to use as a good luck charm. Nor was it given for you to flip around and randomly open it up for the "spirit" to talk to you. I have opened up the Bible before and just started reading where it opened, but it was never with the thought that the "spirit" was controling me and had me open it to that page.

God never intended for you to play spiritual "pin the tail on the donkey" with the Bible.

2007/3/21 12:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy