SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread

Re:

Excellent question, Ben. I think the answer as it pertains to this discussion is that it is a description of the market they are trying to reach (meaning sell to) with their products.

Krispy

2007/3/21 17:45
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Excellent question, Ben. I think the answer as it pertains to this discussion is that it is a description of the market they are trying to reach (meaning sell to) with their products.

Krispy

So instead of saying "Christian" should one say "religious?"

I.E. Religious bookstore, religious cd, etc. A definition of religious means "pertaining to religion."

Just throwing this out to spur on the question this guy posed...

2007/3/21 17:56Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Why do we Christians label inaminate, non-living, non-breathing objects, 'Christian' (i.e. Christian bookstore, Christian shirt, Christian cd, Christian book, etc.)? If Christian means to be Christ-like in how we live, act, and respond, how can an object, that can't do any of these things be "Christian?"

Maybe we think by wearing these things or haveing them will help us live, act and respond like Christ like. But how are these object that we hang on our walls, and other little things help us to be Christ like?

In his love
charlene

2007/3/21 18:04Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

awakenwithin wrote:
Why do we Christians label inaminate, non-living, non-breathing objects, 'Christian' (i.e. Christian bookstore, Christian shirt, Christian cd, Christian book, etc.)? If Christian means to be Christ-like in how we live, act, and respond, how can an object, that can't do any of these things be "Christian?"

Maybe we think by wearing these things or haveing them will help us live, act and respond like Christ like. But how are these object that we hang on our walls, and other little things help us to be Christ like?

In his love
charlene

Great thought! :-D

2007/3/21 18:09Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
But how are these object that we hang on our walls, and other little things help us to be Christ like?

A fair question, but there is at least this scripture to show a link between what is in our hearts and what is hung on our walls.

"And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

Much of the Thomas Kinkaid fuzzy religous stuff is perhaps woefully inadequate taken by itself...but it isn't so bad, even if only the most superficial part of a loving Christian home environment.

There is much pablum in Christian retail today for sure, but I'm not sure I would pray for their closure in the same way I would pray for the demise of an adult bookstore. I actually see them as a healthy sign that there is still a healthy interest in Christian spirituality in America. It could be worse...we could be living in China or Europe where there is nary a Christian bookstore to be found.

Inspite of the poor quality of modern materials being made today there is still much good to be found in the Christian bookstore. For instance, the videos for family are a much better substitue over network programming. Even secular children's programming is becoming nothing more then early lessons in materialism and narcisism. (I realize many Sermon Indexers are beyond all forms of entertainment, but Christian programming sure comes in handy with children.)

It may be that the posters of Sermon Index are by their very nature, more contemplative and deep searching then the general church market. I have found that my own desire to dig deeper into the older writers is as much a reflection of my personality as it is my walk with Christ. If I wasn't reading Oswald Chambers, perhaps my old man would be reading some pagan philosopher. Conversely I know many fine Christians who have barely read Oswald Chambers but they still demonstrate much spiritual dept even if they are not very articulate in letter. And if they should ever want to find Oswald Chambers, Amy Carmichael, Ray Comfort, George Whitefield, Andrew Murray...all of their precious books can be readily found very cheap in the local Christian bookstore and all subsidized by the pricier glossier stuff.

Perhaps the glass is half full. ;-)

MC

2007/3/21 18:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy