SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
awakenwithin

AZ

what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

I was at Church yesterday, and thought hit me what should a Chirstain book store look like if it was bring the greatest glory to God? Even a book store can be a ministry, or is it just a job?
The ones that I have went into, seens they have been sold out to the world. It seens they are more about making money then being worried about what books they are selling. It made me think, what books would I have in the store? Could I stand there and sell a book to a brother and sister a book I myself would never read? I don't know If I could sleep at night knowing I sold books that were full of lies and where hurting them. A preach dosn't hand out book that go against what he is preaching. It would hurt him in trying share Chirst, So what is the differnce in a book store? and if they are selling these books, because this what people wnat to read or they have poor choices? so my question if you had a book store what would it look?
in his love
charlene

2007/3/19 11:21Profile

Re: what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

I was so grieved the last time I went in one, I ended up putting tracts in a lot of books by the false teachers.

Many people who work at these places will have bloody hands on the day of judgement.

In Christ - Jim

2007/3/19 11:45
free2bee63

My Christian book store would probably carry all sorts of books. It would be hard for people to grow and learn about the world if they only read books written with a Christian's interpretation of things.

An example would be: a Christian writing a book about Islam. I would much rather read a book written by a Muslim to understand Islamic belief, than read a book written by someone who is not a Muslim.

2007/3/19 11:47Profile
free2bee63

Re:

As far as Christian books that are off the path; I think it would be tough to leave those sorts of books out.

What examples do you guys have of books that are technically "Christian," but really aren't?

2007/3/19 11:58Profile

Re:

10 ways to use God to get rich quick... and other such titles for starters

2007/3/19 12:06
free2bee63

Re:

If I had a book titled "10 ways to use God to get rich quick," I would leave it off the shelf.

2007/3/19 12:08Profile
BenBrockway

Yeah, I hardly do any shopping at the Christian bookstores where I live. A big part of it is that they seem to be in it more for the money, then the ministry. Many of their things are massively overcharged (but that is the way it seems to go in the Christian industry).

Also, when a "Christian" Store sells, "Christian" My Little Ponies, Scripture candy, and Prayer of Jabez and WWJD stones, there is something wrong. Also, (and I hope to not offend any Catholics) but when a "Christian" store sells prayer beads, pictures, statues, and sayings dedicated to "Blessed Mary," it completely deters any interest of supporting that place.

{{edited}}

2007/3/19 12:11Profile
free2bee63

Re:

We have a small book store at my local church. (not me, but the church) People know they can trust most of what is on the shelf vs. having to go somewhere else to find a good book.

We only have books and music.

2007/3/19 12:15Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Also, in the meantime of these (Christian)stores selling large amounts of spiritually unprofitable books, their "classics" section is offensively small and without many wonderful, God fearing authors.

2007/3/19 12:18Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

The so called Christian book stores today are symptomatic of how wordly the church has become. They exist because they succeed at turning a profit. All the junk they sell is there because it does indeed sell. America is obsessed with materialism.

Because Christians are no longer lead to an intimate personal relationship with the Father and Son, the void in their hearts remains. Purchasing endless books, knick knacks, wall hangings ad infinitum is an attempt to fill that void. Sad isn't it?

I would love to have a bookstore filled with nothing but the classics. I'd have as much puritan writings as I could find, as well as Murray, Tozer, Torrey etc etc. Unfortuneately, such a store would go into bankruptcy.

Deep heavy sigh,

Doug

2007/3/19 12:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy