SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do we enjoy arguing ??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Do we enjoy arguing ??

Many times when people dis-agree with us our first response is to be hurt ( or ) their challenging my position ... how dare they.

Paul said some preach Christ even of strife and contention, supposing to rub it in even more - but others sincerely !!

So then Which category does s.o.t fit into then ??

That depends on how i carry myself and how i deal with barrages, criticism, objections....or just people who insist i have the wrong take on a particular passage.

You see for the most part - im so over this thing of the [petty squabbles and in-fighting] - or that of seeking to justify myself or to have the last word ( on the matter ).

Blessed are the who ? "The peacemakers - not the peace breakers"

We are cautioned from the book of Galations not to bite and devour each other ~~ lest ye be consumed the one of the other.

Things between brethren can quickly escalate and deteriorate to the point brothers never talk to each other again.

Differing views as we know saw Barnabus and Saul depart from each other over the issue of John Mark and their contentions became so strong they split asunder ( such a thing was not necessary ) but the nonetheless Paul later speaks of his friend Barnabus in glowing terms having put it behind him and moved on. !!

Doth not Peter say grudge not against each other brethren ~~ dis-agreements and mis-understandings will come, but the best way to abort it from becoming a raging fire is to simply move on and walk away.

Otherwise you get situations like this between warring brethren " you said this and i tell you are so so wrong about the matter " then that person will usually respond by saying words to the effect " i never said that at all - and your mis-quoting me "

And on and on and on -- then the drama and saga continues ( the whole he said - she said thing, with both parties insisting their in the right and with both parties insisting they've done nothing wrong ) ad-infinitum

This is why it is often hard for a [court of law] to determine guilt and innocence - and who is at fault ... as both parties often wrangle and give conflicting stories and evidence to the judge and jury listening - and collating the evidence

Jesus was right "woe unto the world because of offences" it is enevitable offences will come, but woe unto the person by WHOM -- it came

Ive met lots of people over the years that have a contrary and argumentative spirit !!

It's like everything you say, thay have alternative and differing view (or) always see two sides to everything you say.

What ive found out recently going back over the book of Galations is a word called "VARIANCE"

It means to be always contrary, to be off-side with people, to be diffadent, or to be at odds with people -- to be looking for arguments.

Paul talked to Timothy about perverse disputings
Doting about words to no profit....
But to the subverting of the hearer !!
strife of words etc etc

James says be not decieved the wisdom that comes from above is first PURE -- THEN PEACABLE, GENTLE, FULL OF GOOD FRUITS, [ and easy to be entreated ]

But contrarywise strife and envy is sensual and demonic ( devilish ) and ascends from the very PIT.

LET US NOT BE DECIEVED THOUGH BRETHREN EVEN THOUGH WE ALL CONFRONT STICKY SITUATIONS AT TIMES AND MIS-UNDERSTANDINGS FROM PEOPLE -- that it is the peacemakers who shall be called "the CHILDREN of God"

The world has a saying that goes like this: " you may win the argument -- but in the process lose a friend "

Ive known people over the decades that don't care about friendship, they only want to win the argument or to prove their bible knowledge is superior to yours.

But to sum the post up i would admonish us all including myself to fulfil this verse from 2nd peter 3:14 " be diligent that you may be found in him [ IN PEACE ], without spot and blameless.

NOTICE THE EMPHASIS IS "FOUND IN PEACE" -- OF HIM ( GOD THE FATHER )

Be not decieved ~~ whatever you bind on earth is also bound in heaven....if you bind bitternes to yourself - it will defile you and spread to others.

Whose sins SOEVER "YE RETAIN" ....then they are retained.

If you forgive not men their tresspasses then NEITHER - will your father forgive your offences either.

If you come to the altar and you know you have ought in your heart against a brother, leave your gift at the altar: and first be reconciled to your brother.

Confess your faults one to the other ...that you may be healed.

If you harbour grudges, hostility, or enmity in your heart....then your walking in darkness, even until now.

Don't justify your enmity -- deal with it, or it will consume you ~~and as Jesus said you will be given over to the tormentors until you release THAT PERSON -- from his alleged debt and offence.

Release them from your own prison of unforgiveness -- well i don't like you and your post offended me: and i won't read them anymore ( put away childish things brethren ) in malice be a child though - but in understanding ... BE MEN

2007/3/17 22:00Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Do we enjoy arguing ??

[b]A Word To End all Strife and Divisiveness on SI Forums[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12335&forum=35

2007/3/17 23:18Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

SI...thnx for the response

What we have to be careful about is - settling scores with people.

Or That we don't even write posts as a means of setting people straight !!

( IOW ) We had someone clearly on our minds or in our telescope sites [when we posted].

We have to gaurd against disguised retaliation by way of posting.

And When we read the Word - don't be thinking of everybody else, but apply it to yourself - first and foremost. And don't be thinking of sister hooten diddle or brother Joe smoosh ....thinking yep this surely applies to them - so i might post to set them -and- the record straight.

God has been clearly saying to me as of late apply the texts to your own heart ( SOF ) - and don't be thinking of everyone else and how they might (be) missing God.

Maybe they are missing God (or) overtaken in a fault as such, but don't use that as an excuse to vent or to seek vengeance - or by the letting of [off STEAM] !

Paul said in Romans [destroy not] your brother for whom Christ -- died !!

God bless to all
And grace be to your spirit
Amen
S.O.T

2007/3/18 9:21Profile
Logic

Quote:

sonofthunder wrote:
Many times when people dis-agree with us our first response is to be hurt ( or ) their challenging my position ... how dare they.

So then Which category does s.o.t fit into then??

I like to come as teaching and being taught.

As long as the other posting does not come into heresy, I would be okay if they kept there view on things, however, I would like each to see the others' viewpoint and at least concider.
Then, if I can not persuade, I will bear with their view.

2007/3/18 15:39Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

It's not that they can't have other views or even opposing views !!

Nobody is asking you to simply give up your convictions for the sake of "merely" getting along

True unity respects differing positions with-out this getting riled up thing (or)the getting angry~~ if others dis-agree !!

People wrongly think and assume in order to have unity we have to surrender beliefs ~~ if you lay down your view here and mine here.... then and onlt then will true oneness be achieved ( right )

Not necessarily i'd dare say in the early Church, that in it's [infant stage] there would have been diverse opinion [on bible interpration] etc etc

But they nevertheless strove to arrive at sound doctrine togather and they strove to be "ONE" IN THE SPIRIT !!!

Now there-in lies the difference ~~ with each respecting [where the other one was at] in their convictions and faith, but yet [in the Spirit] they earnestly sought to be of [ONE MIND] ~~ striving together in that [one mission and cause]

That's true unity odf the spirit ~~ when we together seek to arrive at truth and to have the mind of Christ -- but still respecting different levels of growth and differing levels of maturity.

True unity does not ask or force others to surrender convictions and that for the sake of just getting along -- but yet throughout all that we must be of sincerity and seek to work together in Christ !!

( agreed )
thoughts ??

2007/3/18 20:27Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Thank you for this thread SOT. It is very important if we disagree to still be agreeable. We must love our brethern more than our opinions. We don't have to compromise our beliefs in order to have peace between us.

[color=6600CC]Hbr 12:14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: [/color]

[color=6600CC]Phl 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings: [/color]

2007/3/18 23:11Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

I enjoy debate, particularly if I believe someone's viewpoint is skewed. But I detest quarreling, and try my best to write gently, although it is hard sometimes to regulate tonal differences when writing.

But even when I disagree doctrinally with someone, there is a point when we both have to say, we will never agree, but let us still be friends and brothers. Otherwise we are merely continuing from spite. I happen to get bored when the subject is fully discussed. Evidently most people here do as well.

Blessings,

2007/3/19 5:22Profile

Re: do we enjoy arguing?

Quote:

UniqueWebRev wrote:
I enjoy debate, particularly if I believe someone's viewpoint is skewed. But I detest quarreling, and try my best to write gently, although it is hard sometimes to regulate tonal differences when writing.

But even when I disagree doctrinally with someone, there is a point when we both have to say, we will never agree, but let us still be friends and brothers. Otherwise we are merely continuing from spite. I happen to get bored when the subject is fully discussed. Evidently most people here do as well.

Blessings,

Agree with all the above.

Its the [i]person[/i] who is posting that tends to interest me even more than their views. I like to find out [i]why[/i] they believe as they do, especially if its different from the way I see things. This means having to re-examine what I believe and why, too, which is very healthy. I think that's true even if we end up still disagreeing, and still believing more or less exactly what we did before. At worst it gives more understanding and appreciation of another viewpoint.

Stubborn refusal even to consider someone else's viewpoint is a sure discussion killer, as is personal attack (though its sometimes a temptation when someone seems to be acting unreasonable!)

Usually, the only time I get irritated and/or frustrated is if I can't get to the bottom of exactly what someone believes, or can't understand where they're coming from or what they're talking about. In that case I am a bit like a dog with a bone.

Its not out of spite, but because of wanting to [i]know[/i]!

Love in Him

Jeannette

2007/3/19 7:36

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy