SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : quotes about scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

quotes about scripture

some quotes from Spurgeon on the bible....

BIBLE -MEMORIZATION OF

The Bible in the memory is better than the Bible in the book case

Be walking Bibles.

BIBLE -NEGLECT OF

There is dust enough on some of your Bibles to write “damnation” with your fingers

Perhaps there is no book more neglected in these days than the Bible. I do verily believe there are more mouldy Bibles in this world than there are of any sort of neglected books. We have stillborn books in abundance; we have innumerable books which never see any circulation except the circulation of the butter shop, but we have no book that is so much bought, and then so speedily laid aside, and so little used, as the Bible.

But we must search the word, for unread Bibles are evidences against rebels, and are unbecoming in believers.

BIBLE -POWER OF

It is better to preach five words of God’s Word than five million words of man’s wisdom. Men’s words may seem to be the wiser and the more attractive, but there is no heavenly life in them.

I confess that the words of Scripture thrill my soul as nothing else ever can; they bear me aloft or dash me down, they tear me in pieces or they build me up after an unrivalled fashion. The words of God have more power over me than ever David’s fingers had over his harp strings. Is it not so with you?

BIBLE -NOURISHMENT FROM

I have many an old book in my library in which there have been book-worms, and I have sometimes amused myself with tracing a worm. I do not know how he gets to the volume originally, but being there he eats his way into it. He bores a hole in a direct line, and sometimes I find that he dies before he gets half-way through the tome. Now and then a worm has eaten his way right through from one wooden cover to another; yes, and through the cover also. This was a most successful bookworm. Few of us can eat our way quite so far. I am one of the book-worms that have not got half-way into my Bible yet; but I am eating my way as fast as I can.

Scripture reading is our spiritual meal-time.

Dear friends, beware of reading the Bible for other people. Get your own text—your own morsel of marrow and fatness—out of Scripture; and do not be satisfied to be sermon-making or lesson-making for your class in the Sunday-school. Feed on the word yourselves, or else your own vineyards will not be kept.

The word that cometh out of Christ’s mouth is the daily manna of our heavenly life, and it behooves every Christian, however feeble or however strong, to keep the word of God with all his might against all comers, since it is his life.

It was God’s word that made us; is it any wonder that his word should sustain us?

How instructive to us is this great truth that the Incarnate Word lived on the Inspired Word! It was food to him, as it is to us; and, brothers and sisters, if Christ thus lived upon the Word of God, should not you and I do the same? He, in some respects, did not need this book as much as we do. The Spirit of God rested upon him without measure, yet he loved the Scripture, and he went to it, and studied it, and used its expressions continually.

Precious Book! I would say of thee what David said of Goliath’s sword, “There is none like that; give it me.” Thou art marrow and fatness, honey, wines on the lees well refined; yea, manna of angels, and water from the Rock Christ Jesus. Of all soul-medicines thou art the most potent; of all mental dainties thou art the sweetest; and of all spiritual food thou art the most sustaining.

BIBLE -READING OF

When you shall come before him, he shall say, “Did you read my Bible?” “No.” “I wrote you a letter of mercy; did you read it?” “No.” “Rebel! I have sent thee a letter inviting thee to me: didst thou ever read it?” “Lord I never broke the seal; I kept it shut up.” “Wretch!” says God, “then thou deservest hell, if I sent thee a loving epistle and thou wouldst not even break the seal: what shall I do unto thee?”

The fact is, we sometimes read Scripture, thinking of what it ought to say, rather than what it does say.

Read the Bible in a common-sense way. Do not read it on your knees, as I have known some people do, it is an awkward posture: get into an easy chair: read it comfortably. Pray after you have read it as much as you like, but do not make a penance of what ought to be a pleasure.

True Bible-readers and Bible-searchers never find it wearisome. They like it least who know it least, and they love it most who read it most. They find it newest who have known it longest, and they find the pasture to be the richest whose souls have been the longest fed upon it. When one of our missionaries had to read a certain Book of the Old Testament through a hundred times while he was translating it, he said that he certainly enjoyed the hundredth time of reading it more than he did the first, for he understood it better, and it seemed to him to be fuller and fresher the more familiar he became with it.

BIBLE -STUDY OF

Holy Scripture requires searching—much of it can only be learned by careful study

Bible study is the metal that makes a Christian; this is the strong meat on which
holy men are nourished; this is that which makes the bone and sinew of men who
keep God’s way in defiance of every adversary.

BIBLE -TWISTING OF

It is an ill sign when a man dares not look a Scripture in the face, and an evidence of
brazen impudence when he tries to make it mean something less condemnatory of his
sins, and endeavours to prove it to be less sweeping in its demands.

Some want to shape the Scriptures to their creed, and they get a very nice square
creed too, and trim the Bible most dexterously: it is wonderful how they do it, but I
would rather have a crooked creed and a straight Bible, than I would try to twist the
Bible round to suit what I believe.

There can never be any justification for twisting Scripture, in order to wrench it out
of an enemy’s hand.

There are some commentaries that seem to have been written on the principle of
twisting the text into the shape that the commentator approved, and I am afraid we
have all had a share in attempts to make the Word of God say what we think it ought
to have said according to our system of divinity.

2007/3/17 10:10Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: quotes about scripture

BIBLE -WARNINGS IN

Idle words are in the speech of man, not in the writings of Jehovah.

A precept of Scripture is like a lighthouse upon a quicksand or a rock; it quietly bids
the wise helmsman steer his vessel another way. The whole coast of life is guarded by
these protecting lights, and he who will take note of them may make safe
navigation; but remember, it is one thing for the Scripture to give warning, and
another for us to take it; and if we do not take warning, we cannot say, “By them is
Thy servant warned.”

The saddest story of Holy Scripture is a beacon, and never a lure.

2007/3/17 12:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy