SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dead to Sin by Kerry Stevenson Part II

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
kerrylou

Australia

Dead to Sin by Kerry Stevenson Part II

The clue to overcoming sin is to love the way God loves. Love that is impartial; love that seeks not its own. This is a high order but Jesus did it and he said, "You will do greater works than I because I return to my Father."

That's an amazing statement. We will not do greater works because we are better but, because He has returned to His Father, and our Father if we believe. It seems the world has not experienced this power in modern times.

True sinlessness does not exalt itself because pride is sin. So you will not find one who is sinless boasting of it as an accomplishment. Even Paul wrote, "Not as though I have already attained, but I press on toward the mark." Sinlessness is not to be spoken out, it is to be lived out.

But I speak to those who are afraid they shall never be free of sin. Don't live in fear of it, rather, thank God for His victory over it. Don't live expecting to sin, live expecting not to. It saddens me to hear someone say, "You will always have sin in your life till Jesus returns" because it doesn't have to be so. You CAN aim to no longer sin. You can make it your goal to accomplish. And you will if you trust Jesus.

How Shall We That are Dead (a song by Kerry Stevenson 1995)

How shall we that are dead to sin
Live any longer therein?
Live any longer therein?
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
Has made me free from the law of sin;
Yes, the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
Has made, has made me free.
(repeat)

O, death, where is your sting?
O, grave, where is your victory?

Live any longer therein?
Live any longer therein?
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
Has made me free from the law of sin;
Yes, the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
Has made, has made me free.

2007/3/16 13:52Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Dead to Sin by Kerry Stevenson Part II

REPLY To kerrylou
You are a blessing to me and I will watch for more of your post.
Are you Kerry Stevenson?
Eddie

2007/3/24 7:57Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Quote:

kerrylou wrote:
The clue to overcoming sin is to love the way God loves. Love that is impartial; love that seeks not its own. This is a high order but Jesus did it and he said, "You will do greater works than I because I return to my Father."

[color=0033FF]I agree that learning to overcome sin can only be accomplished by learning to live in love, the love that God loves, Agape love.

Alas, your conclusion is incorrect, not in what you wished to say, but in that it does not support your initial statement.[/color]

In [color=993300]John 14: 12. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.[/color]

That's an amazing statement. We will not do greater works because we are better but, because He has returned to His Father, and our Father if we believe. It seems the world has not experienced this power in modern times.

[color=0033FF]Christ's promise is indeed amazing, but it has absolutely nothing to do with your initial statement on the power of living in God's love to succeed against sin. It is rather a testament to Christ's glory through man's belief in Him, for without that belief our prayers are as nothing.

Even with our love in Christ, and His in us, we cannot cease from sinning. It is built in genetically, though we may learn, in the love of God, to sin less and less with practice and much devotion.[/color]

True sinlessness does not exalt itself because pride is sin. So you will not find one who is sinless boasting of it as an accomplishment. Even Paul wrote, "Not as though I have already attained, but I press on toward the mark." Sinlessness is not to be spoken out, it is to be lived out.

[color=0033FF]Truly, I wish sinlessness could be lived out, yet it seems that the more I love God and want to please Him, the more aware I am of my faults, my ever present pride and rebellion that keep me from more than a moment or two of sinlessness after prayers and communion, then the 'ME' of me trys to take back over again. And my love for God only keeps me trying to work with the Holy Spirit to be changed, for without that help, we cannot change, we cannot sin one less sin than we achieved through our will power, and how short a time that lasts.[/color]

But I speak to those who are afraid they shall never be free of sin. Don't live in fear of it, rather, thank God for His victory over it. Don't live expecting to sin, live expecting not to.

[color=0033FF]Oh, how I wish this were true, but experience has taught me that the moment I begin to believe I will succeed, for an hour, for a day, the world, the flesh and the devil conspire against my best efforts to be sinless.

Rather, understand that sin is our portion in this human body, and that we must fight against it moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day, and only look to make progress in sinning less than we did in earlier times. For we have no righteousness of our own.[/color]

[color=993300]Romans's 3:10. As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11. There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
[/color]

It saddens me to hear someone say, "You will always have sin in your life till Jesus returns" because it doesn't have to be so. You CAN aim to no longer sin. You can make it your goal to accomplish. And you will if you trust Jesus.

[color=0033FF]Oh, that this were true, that we could be sinless in ourselves, through Jesus. Yes, we can aim for less and less sin in our lives, but only under the covering of the blood of Jesus are we actually given His Righteousness. It is nothing that we do, or can do, to become as righteous as He. It is because of who He was and what He did at the cross that saves us at all. Our striving is only that we may try to please Him by attempting obedience, a moment here or there without sin, as the proof of our love of Him.

In His love,
[/color]

[color=0033FF][/color]

2007/3/24 8:58Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Kerry I agree and feel that you are describing the point where we Christians begin maturity and able to eat strong meat and at the same time we have to love the children enough to keep repeating the principles of the doctrine of Christ while the mature seek perfection until we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God.

KJV
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

KJV
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers, for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

KJV
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
And this will we do, if God permit.

Eddie

2007/3/24 13:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy