SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 7

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tears_of_joy

Re: Great Quotes 7

“It is not hasty reading, but seriously meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that makes them prove sweet and profitable to the soul. It is not the bee’s touching of the flowers that gathers honey, but her abiding for a time upon them and drawing out the sweet. It is not he that reads most, but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest, and strongest Christian.” -Anonymous

2007/5/16 12:22Profile

Re:

'If an archangel from heaven were to come, and were to start giving me, telling me, teaching me, and giving me instruction, I'd ask him for the text. I'd say, "Where's it say that in the Bible? I want to know." And I would insist that it was according to the scriptures, because I do not believe in any extra-scriptural teachings, nor any anti-scriptural teachings, or any sub-scriptural teachings. I think we ought to put the emphasis where God puts it, and continue to put it there, and to expound the scriptures, and stay by the scriptures. I wouldn't - no matter if I saw a light above the light of the sun, I'd keep my mouth shut about it 'til I'd checked in Daniel and Revelation and the rest of the scriptures to see if it had any basis in truth. And if it didn't, I'd think I'd just eaten something I shouldn't, and I wouldn't say anything about it. Because I don't believe in anything that is unscriptural or that is anti-scriptural.' A.W Tozer

2007/5/16 13:41
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

"The day that you decide to fast is the day that you’ve decided to quit hiding from whatever it is that is in you that just don’t care. That you don’t care about the naked, you don’t care about the captive, the poor, whether anyone is getting saved, whether anyone is getting healed. To even get a shred of burnt out conscience we have to show you movies of starving kids. What kind of walk is that?"

-Dave Roberson - The Basic of Fasting – Don’t Hide From Your Flesh

2007/5/16 14:00Profile
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

(Speaking on the impossibility of earning/maintaining God's favor/salvation)

"If I thought that you had to earn the favor of God, then the moment you got born again I’d just kill you."

-Andrew Wommack “Is Jesus Enough?” (War is Over Series)

2007/5/16 14:05Profile
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

"Many people in the world have not rejected Christ. They have rejected the Christ they’ve seen, projected by Christendom."

"A lot of things that are being spoken of today as the ministry of the Holy Spirit, it’s just emotional exuberance. Because people don’t know what is soul and what is spirit….Young people are so often taken up with that exuberance and say, ‘Oh, this is Holy Spirit.’ It’s not, if it were Holy Spirit it would bring holiness. “

“I’m not against noise, it’s a matter of your temperament….if your trinity is Father, Son and Noisy Spirit, mine is not….if you’re filled with the Holy Spirit, you have holiness.”

-Zac Poonen “A Renewed Soul” (Sanctification Series)

2007/5/16 14:05Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Quotations from Thomas Brooks

Let those be thy choicest companions who have made Christ their chief companion.

The lives of ministers oftentimes convince more strongly than their words; their tongues may persuade, but their lives command.

Christ choosing solitude for private prayer, doth not only hint to us the danger of distraction and deviation of thoughts in prayer, but how necessary it is for us to choose the most convenient places we can for private prayer. Our own fickleness and Satan's restlessness call upon us to get into such places where we may freely pour out our soul into the bosom of God [Mark 1.35].

Suffering times are sealing times. The primitive Christians found them so, and the suffering saints in Mary's days found them so. When the furnace is seven times hotter than ordinary, the Spirit of the Lord comes and seals up a man's pardon in his bosom, his peace with God, and his title to heaven. Blessed Bradford looked upon his sufferings as an evidence to him that he was on the right way to heaven.

It is better to have a sore than a seared conscience.

God sees us in secret, therefore, let, us seek his face in secret. Though heaven be God's palace, yet it is not his prison.

God's hearing of our prayers doth not depend upon sanctification, but upon Christ's intercession; not upon what we are in ourselves, but what' we are in the Lord Jesus; both our persons and our prayers are acceptable in the beloved [Eph 1.6].

Christ is the sun, and all the watches of our lives should be set by the dial of his motion.

An idle life and a holy heart is a contradiction.

Repentance is a grace, and must have its daily operation, as well as other graces. A true penitent must go on from faith to faith, from strength to strength; he must never stand still or turn back. True repentance is a continued spring, where the waters of godly sorrow are always flowing. 'My sin is ever before me'.

It was a choice saying of Augustine, 'Every saint is God's temple, and he who carries his temple about him, may go to prayer when he pleaseth'.

Prayer is nothing but the breathing that out before the Lord, that was first breathed into us by the Spirit of the Lord.

Those years, months, weeks, days, and hours, that are not filled up with God, with Christ, with grace, and with duty, will certainly be filled up with vanity and folly. The neglect of one day, of one duty, of one hour, would undo us, if we had not an Advocate with the Father.

You had better be a poor man and a rich Christian, than a rich man and a poor Christian. You had better do anything, bear anything, and be anything rather than be a dwarf in grace.

Much faith will yield unto us here our heaven, but any faith, if true, will yield us heaven hereafter.

A man's most glorious actions will at last be found to be but glorious sins, if he hath made himself, and not the glory of God, the end of those actions.

The two poles could sooner meet, than the love of Christ and the love of the world.

'My sin is ever before me' [Psalm 51.3]. A humble soul sees that he can stay no more from sin, than the heart can from panting, and the pulse from beating. He sees his heart and life to be fuller of sin, than the firmament is of stars; and this keeps him low. He sees that sin is so bred in the bone, that till his bones, as Joseph's, be carried out of the Egypt of this world, it will not out. Though sin and grace were never born together, and though they shall not die together, yet while the believer lives, these two must live together; and this keeps him humble.

The only way to avoid cannon-shot is to fall down. No such way to be freed from temptation as to keep low.

The best and sweetest flowers of Paradise God gives to his people when they are upon their knees. Prayer is the gate of heaven, a key to let us in to Paradise.

2007/5/16 16:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"If you will here stop and ask yourself why you are not as pious as the primitive Christians were, your own heart will tell you that it is neither through ignorance nor inability, but because you never thoroughly intended it."
-William Law

2007/5/18 14:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"It is not under names, creeds, or professions that men shall be saved at the last day; those alone who were holy, who were here conformed to the image of Christ, shall inherit the kingdom of God. Those who expect it in any other way, or on any other account, will be sadly deceived."
-Adam Clarke

2007/5/21 12:40Profile
Tears_of_joy

Are You a Worshipper? Really?

Conversation.... God: "Would you say that a person who watches 20 minutes of television a week worships the TV?"

Us: "Probably not."

Father: "Then why would you say that someone who worships ME 20 minutes a week is a worshipper of God?"

2007/5/23 19:26Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Would that God would make hell so read to us that we cannot rest; heaven so real that we must have men there."
-J. Hudson Taylor

2007/5/24 14:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy