SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Blue Like Jazz

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Blue Like Jazz will be hot for a little while, and the Christian Bookstores will sell the "Blue Like Jazz" coffee mugs, bible covers, t-shirts, postcards, chewing gum, buttons, bookmarks, pencils, etc etc... heck, if they could they sell you Blue Like Jazz happy meals.

Anyone remember the "Prayer of Jabez" phenom?

And then it will die out and be forgotten, with no change in our society or generation... because there is only one [b]B[/b]ook that can make a change, and no one is reading it. Even so-called "Christians".

Remember when Mel Gibson's Catholic movie "The Passion" came out a couple years ago? Evangelicals could barely contain themselves because most believed this would spark a revival in this country. Well, it's been what? 3 years? ... I'm still waiting...

[b]God's Word[/b] is what changes lives. Not silly books and Catholic movies.

Krispy

2007/3/15 7:18

Re: Blue like Jazz

lovegrace said

Quote:
Something wrong with getting caught up with this website. Is that some people get the idea we need a 'Spurgeon' or a 'Wesley' or a 'Luther' etc etc. We don't need them. Honestly, we wouldn't listen to them. Why? because our CULTURE has CHANGED!

What we need is someone who is FULLY captivated with our Holy Loving God. We don't need a 'Paul'. We need a people who will follow what HE says to do for such a time as this.

Quote:
Here are God's words about being CULTURALLY relevant.

Acts 13:36
"For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep, and was laid among his fathers and underwent decay;

Then in Acts 17:22-34 it shows Paul speaking a message a little different than the rest. Instead of saying 'the Messiah has come' he refers to Jesus as an 'unknown god'. Today, if we talked like that, brothers (like yourself) would say 'thats sin and blasphemy'. Not only does he refer to the 'gods' of their culture but THEIR Poetry. *Vs.28*

Hi lovegrace,

I appreciate this exposition, especially knowing how active you are in ministry including evangelism.

Unless a person has internally processed the gospel (ie made it their own, as Paul did), they are not likely to be able to do what Paul did with a clear conscience. But, I agree with what you shared, and I believe the testimony about David from scripture, should encourage us to be be relevant to our generation if none else.

Not everyone can write a book or leave something distinctly Godly, which will be (in that way), externally recognised by future generations. But, the word of God is [u]living[/u], and endures forever, and like seed within seed, it is ministered to the next generation through believers. Amen.

I believe the walking out of our faith is deeply constructive for the soul and it is this which enables us to be creative with opportunities to talk about the Lord, and point people to God.

2007/3/15 7:41
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

And then it will die out and be forgotten, with no change in our society or generation... because there is only one Book that can make a change, and no one is reading it. Even so-called "Christians".

Wow Krispy, I never really thought of everything that way before. You reply caused me to strech my understanding, thanks.

But. I still don't think it's the 'word' of God that will save people. I'm sorry. How come did the religious leaders of Jesus' time miss JESUS HIMSELF, they read the Scriptures more than anyoen else around??

Because of the Spirit. The Spirit gives life.

We, as a Church, need to rise up and speak what the Father is speaking and then, only then, we will see a revival/restoration time.

**Keep in mind. Speaking something from God [b]never[/b] goes against His written Word.

2007/3/15 16:52Profile
vico

Re:

Quote:
But. I still don't think it's the 'word' of God that will save people. I'm sorry.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Psalms 19:7 ¶ The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul:

James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Quote:
How come did the religious leaders of Jesus' time miss JESUS HIMSELF, they read the Scriptures more than anyoen else around??

Because the Word did not abide in them. And He sent them right back to the Scriptures.

John 5:38-39 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

2007/3/15 17:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
But. I still don't think it's the 'word' of God that will save people. I'm sorry.

Well... like Vico, lets see what God says about that...

Rom 10:14-15 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

And what are we to preach? The Word!

Krispy

2007/3/15 17:21
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Blue Like Jazz will be hot for a little while, and the Christian Bookstores will sell the "Blue Like Jazz" coffee mugs, bible covers, t-shirts, postcards, chewing gum, buttons, bookmarks, pencils, etc etc... heck, if they could they sell you Blue Like Jazz happy meals.

Krispy

The sad thing is that many a church are following in the "We need to be relevant, so we need to be REALLY watered down" movement. I pray it won't last long, but there are several young churches already filling to the brim with thousands of people feeding on mostly garbage.

Chadster wrote:
Quote:

Thank you everyone for your comments. I did a bit of research on my own and most of what I found on the internet was very positive and supportive of this book. [b]This of course, may just be representative of the spirit of the age and the watered down Christianity that most Christians in America are being rasied on.[/b]

What's in bold is exactly what it is.

2007/3/15 17:38Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Good scriptures vico. Thanks, I'll ponder them.

Krispy. Let's not twist scripture. The 'word' there (in Romans) is referring to Jesus and the gospel, not the letter, nor OT.

Also, amen. Let's not bring a watered down gospel.

But lets not speak another cultural language instead break it down for others WITHOUT distorting the message.

2007/3/15 21:52Profile
vico

Re:

I would encourage everyone participating on this thread to listen to this excellent compilation preached by Leonard Ravenhill

Who's touching the Ark?

God bless you all!

2007/3/18 13:48Profile

Re:

Again, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING from COMPTON, also i am writing my experience that is closely related to the discussion, after the quote from what COMPTON wrote...God bless you brother Compton. You put the exact feelings i had about the book in words.

Quote:
by InTheLight on 2007/3/14 19:02:25 This question about the book was posed here recently, one of our dear brothers here at SI(Compton) posted an insightful overview of the book, I have copied it below... I read through most of the book in one sitting last summer so this is more of an initial reaction then a'review'... While I count Donald Miller as a dear brother, and believe he would make absolutely great conversation across a cup of coffee, I consider him a Christian author of more style then substance. The problem I had is that he was turning his personal confusion, questions, and search for authentic answers into a type of humble virtue. Unbelief is put forth as being more honest then belief...This is a persistent problem with the 'emergent' Christian writer...in their wry critique of 'churchianity' they resign themselves to always being confused and uncertain about their walk with God...and often become downright irreverant and arrogant about it! I think Donald Miller is part of a stylish trend of adolescently minded Christian thinkers who shift the emphasis off of scripture and onto their own emotional and intellectual angst...confusing human sincerity with faith. They imply that this self-absorption is 'being honest' with the reader...and seem to feel that the 'relevant' Christian will have more to offer people from exogeting culture then from exogeting scripture. Cultural relevancy is the mantra...and talking more about questions then answers is their 'connection' to the culture. As a result, these post-modern writers might appeal to post-modern cultural tastes, yet ironically, are woefully irrelevant to the needs of the post-modern soul,...when compared to the spiritual nourishment of much older writers such as Bunyan, Carmichael, Chambers, or Spurgeon. The soul does not live by clever and insightful social commentary on religon, faith, and politics... but by God's Word. In recent years I have begin to ask myself why the most popular Christian books of my day bear no resemblance in substance to the vast archive of great Christian books that do resemble each other, from many centuries past. One of these things is not like the other! Blessings, MC
/quote]

i read the book 1 year ago, and the exact response i had in my heart is of what Compton says above.
i actually discussed this book with "emergent" christians. i tell you, it was fascinating - because trying to stir the discussion into the word of God was somehow hard.

wouldn't you know it though, - yesterday something happened that was such a joy to me.....and it releates to the discussion here in that, as Krispy said the Word of God is really the true path to the freedom of our soul
i listen to a radio show called "Family Radio forum" or something like that.(i also admit, i am not sure how biblical some of the stuff, esp about the prediction of the end days, the teaching to come out of the church for the church age has ended etc- is biblical or not but that's for another discussion...other than that everything is out of the Bible,)
a lady called all hostile and very sure of herself that eventhough she had had children without having ever been maried, she was not an adultress.
ok, here i have to describe the woman to you. the woman was a single mother with two children. she was geninuely concerned for her salvation and the label of "adultress". (Mr Camping, the conductor, apparantelty had labeled any sexual relationship as adultrey no matter before marriage, during(outside of the wife) or after). she was not hostile in a hateful way. and then the most beautiful thing happened.
Mr. Camping said, Matthew 5 states if a man looks at a woman, he has already commited adultrey. not only have you looked at a man and desired, but you have had intimate relationship with the man, without marriage as a basis. and then, all her defensiveness started come off as if it was a scalp but since it was a process she insisted, saying, "but i don't want the label of being an adultress by others" to which Mr. Camping proceeded to say, "you worry should be, God help me, and save my soul, please come and save me for i am poor and needy not trying to get the label off

all this(and again, i wish all of us heard it) is to say,
HOW WONDERFUL THE WORD OF OUR GOD IS. i don't know why it hit me so hard with this lady's conversation, but it was such a comfort for my own heart and an assurance to see the Word of God so penetrate the lady so deep to the point where i felt it in her intonation and her demenaor on the radio, as she was disarmed after he read Matthew 5. you know, i personally always struggled with having to use scripture when witnessing to others, but it was as if God was showing me a clear example and way of doing it on how Scripture penetrates so deep into the soul.

i will explain more if there are questions

sam

2007/3/25 22:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy