SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dino's

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

We can discuss dino's co-existing with man. I just wanted to put out there what the Scripture references are, as the Bible points to where are focus should be.

"I'm still having a hard time imagining people co-existing with dinosaurs."

The reason we tend to have a hard time imagining man and dino's together is that we have been programmed to think otherwise. Revelation says that Satan deceives the whole world. One way is for him to confuse the foundation of the world, and the foundation of our faith. Every children's book about dino's starts off, "millions of years ago"...in others words saying, 'long before man was here'. The Bible says that everything was created in 6 days.

"Why did God even create such abnormal, disproportionate (comparatively!), almost "super," grotesque creatures?"

Dinos are overgrown reptiles. Fossils of many, many types of animals and plants that are many times larger than we see today have been found. Just type in "gigantic ________ fossil" in a search and you will find that giant animal bones and giant plant and animal fossils are common.

Seagull-sized dragonfly: http://www.nick-lane.net/Extract%20chapter%205.html

10 foot tall predatory bird: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6381194

7 foot rodent: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1435280

Debated by scientific scholars, is the difference with reptiles, in that may have grown their entire lives:

"Alligators and many other reptiles don’t have such a big initial spurt. Instead, they grow slowly for their entire lives": Part 2; http://discovermagazine.com/2005/apr/cover

"Goodwin's conclusions about the lifelong growth of Triceratops will be published later this year": http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2006/03/06_triceratops.shtml

"What is above all astonishing is that all the other dinosaurs seemed to show very steady growth.": http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1811.html

By the way, I filter all of the evolutionary junk from their research, taking out there assumptions, and just listen for the findings. They make good observations, and we should listen to what they are, without swallowing the evolutionary conclusion.

"Also, why are the Dinosaurs not around anymore?"

This is also a hot debate. Some say that many are still alive, ie: smaller ones, Loch Ness, Lake Champlaine, etc. Some say they were all killed. The Bible says of Behemoth: "he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him." The killing of the great lizards could be a foreshadowing of the fall of "the dragon" from Revelation.

One of the interesting things with the dinosaur, or dragon, is that around the globe, many tribes and tongues have carved and drawn similar images of large reptiles:

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=12909

http://www.answersingenesis.org/Home/Area/AnswersBook/images/19DinoOnRock.jpg

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v25/i4/bishop.asp

2007/3/17 1:27Profile
free2bee63

Re:

The Bible doesn't say everything was created in 6 days. Genesis chapter 1.

2007/3/17 1:32Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Quote: There is something wrong with you whenever you quarrel with the word of God.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon.

2007/3/17 5:11Profile
free2bee63

Re:

Quote: "Be fruitful, and multiply, and [i]replenish[/i] the earth...."

[b]God[/b]
Gen 1:28

How come there are two different creation stories; one in Gen 1 and another in Gen 2? Man was [i]created[/i] in Gen 1 after beast, and man was [i]formed[/i] in Gen 2 before beast.

2007/3/17 20:06Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi free2bee63.

About Genesis chapter one and two. I can remember having some questions about this also.

I've come to believe that they are talking about
the same events though. One reason for this is that I believe the Lord Jesus combines Genesis 1:27 and Genesis 2:24 together into one event, where He says

[b][color=660033]...from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.[/color][/b] Mark 10:6-8

Hope this is helpfull,

Chris

EDIT: when I say [i]one event[/i] I mean these things, the creation of man and woman and the whole creation for that matter, and the [i]marriage[/i] or bringing together of Adam and Eve appear very closely related in time, where the Lord Jesus says [i]...from the beginning[/i].

2007/3/17 20:37Profile
free2bee63

Re:

Thanks ChrisJD

I've never noticed that in Mark 10.

2007/3/19 12:06Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Does any one know any good resources (audio/video wise) from SI or any other Sermon Database?

I'm looking for teachings on Creation vs. Evolution (stressing the Creation side, of course).

So far, I have audio from these people:
John Murray
Dr. A-E Wilder-Smith
Welcome Detweiler
Kent Hovind

I've looked a little on Answers in Genesis but they only have 1 min 30 second clips of short answers. I'm looking for more.

Are their any other downloadable teachings on SI or any other website?

2007/4/7 13:30Profile

Re: Two accounts of Creation???

Quote:

free2bee63 wrote:
Quote: "Be fruitful, and multiply, and [i]replenish[/i] the earth...."

[b]God[/b]
Gen 1:28

How come there are two different creation stories; one in Gen 1 and another in Gen 2? Man was [i]created[/i] in Gen 1 after beast, and man was [i]formed[/i] in Gen 2 before beast.

I was taught to write essays with an introduction, then the body of the essay, then a conclusion. Sermons are the same. "Say what your going to say. Say it. Then say that you've said it!"

Genesis 1 to chapter 2:4 gives an introductory summary of the process of Creation, while the next section goes into more detail on the specific aspect of creation of mankind. The first section ends with a concluding sentence, (or maybe this is the beginning of the next section) 4 "This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created"

Good literary style!

You also said:
Quote:
Man was [i]created[/i] in Gen 1 after beast, and man was [i]formed[/i] in Gen 2 before beast.

Oh, you mean verse 19? "Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them"

I don't know much Hebrew, but understand that the tenses are not mainly to do with time. In fact the word "formed" seems to be "future" tense, describing a [i]process[/i], whether past, present or future.

We really need some Hebrew scholars on this detail, but I'm almost certain this is a reasonable explanation.

Anyway, this part of the account has nothing to do with [i]when[/i] the beasts were created. The emphasis is on the fact that Adam was to name them.

Hope that helps.

jeannette

2007/4/7 15:40

Re:

Quote:
free2bee63 wrote:
The Bible doesn't say everything was created in 6 days. Genesis chapter 1.

Have I missed something here? :-? Unless you have a different Bible that's exactly what it does say!

Doesn't it????

Jeannette

2007/4/7 15:43

Re: Behemoth and co, at a cave near you?

As others have said, there is evidence that dinosaurs existed in historical times. Such as tales of knights of old fighting "dragons". There are even pictures engraved on the tomb of a 15th Century bishop that closely resemble a kind of dinosaur (they look like sauropods, the massive plant-eating creature with a tiny head, and long neck and tail, that had a "brain" above its hind legs, apparently to work the rear end, because the real brain, in its head, was too small to do the job!) Wish I could post the picture (don't think we're allowed, are we?) but here's the link, fascinating!
http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/133

The engravings are unlike any creature known today. They are even shown standing with tail held off the ground. Until recently modern scientists thought they dragged their tails behind them, so these 15th Century pictures, if truly representing dinosaurs, are more accurate!

I can easily imagine dinosaurs co-existing with Man before the Fall, because all animals were plant-eating to begin with, and man had authority over them all, so they wouldn't have attacked anyone. The only danger would have been if a large one stepped on you by mistake!

I love the thought of having a pet dinosaur (as in the Flintstones!) or maybe a small pterodactyl, (could some of them mimic speech like parrots perhaps???) trained to fly to the wrist like a falcon. Cool :-D

Probably some dinosaurs, as well as man, only began to eat meat after the Flood. Many plants would have been destroyed or become genetically and nutritionally poorer, so meat eating would have been almost essential for animals lacking special plant digesting powers (a cow has a special stomach to digest grass, while a panda, which is more of a meat eating kind, has to eat bamboo almost non stop to get enough nourishment!)

I was watching a wildlife programme about the Antarctic, where there is a kind of DUCK that eats carrion! Simply because there isn't any other kind of food around most of the time, so it has to.

The large to medium sized carniverous dinosaurs would have been far too dangerous for man to leave alone, so no wonder they became extinct - probably hunted to death by "dragon slayers". After all, African pygmies used to (maybe still do) hunt and kill elephants, so why not large dinosaurs? Size would be no match for man's ingenuity.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/4/7 15:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy