SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Your thoughts on Sanctification?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenBrockway

Your thoughts on Sanctification?

I just thought I would pose a question and see everyone’s thoughts on their perspective of sanctification. Can we reach it? Can we attain it? Should we be living in it? Does anyone believe that we’re so full of sin that we won’t attain sanctification? Is it just a way of life that believers are also sinners? I don’t ask these questions because I don’t understand sanctification… I would just like to see everyone’s view on it, especially if Scripture is Truth, and what it says should be a way of life for the Christian…

2007/3/13 12:31Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Your thoughts on Sanctification?

Quote:
Can we reach it? Can we attain it? Should we be living in it?

First we need to ask "what is it?" :-D

That will make our responses differ. Many people have different ideas of what it means.

2007/3/13 12:34Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

So, let's ask that question, too. "What is sanctification?"

:-)

2007/3/13 12:36Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Well, it's been asked twice, what is sanctification? No one has answered the question yet, maybe because they are afraid of getting the answer wrong?

1 Thess 4v3 says 'For this is the will of God, your santification, that you should abstain from sexual immorality'.

I'm not answering the question either!

Just wanted to give a scripture to start the ball rolling.

But it does point to cleanliness in body, to begin with.

God bless.

2007/3/13 12:45Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Sanctification is a work that the Holy Spirit does in conjunction with man.

It is the process of a man becoming holy.

It is not to be confused with righteousness, as we are already righteous through Christ. It is in simpler terms the process of mortifying the flesh, and walking in the Spirit.

There, I answered the question, gosh, a little backbone could work wonders. :roll: :roll: :roll:
--------------------------------------------------

Now that that is done, the actuall question can be answered...Can we atain it?

[b][color=CC0000]I Peter 1:16

Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. [/color][/b]

I do not believe that we are commanded to do things that we cannot do. Therefore, I believe it is completely atainable.

Whether anyone is perfectly holy, I do not believe anyone except the Lord is such. I believe that throughout eternity we will still be becoming more like Jesus, which in it's truest sense is sanctification.

So to some degree yes, but we can never be exactly like Him, so sort of no. If all this makes sense.

2007/3/13 13:11Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I believe sanctification plainly means seperated to God. I really don't see this being a life long process. I believe it happens at conversion.

The greek word for sancitifcation is the same as the word for holy. We know that without holiness no man....

2007/3/13 13:14Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Yes, I do recall now, that this question has been asked before. Not to long ago, I think, too. So, why are we 'afraid' to answer this question? I was reading the same Scripture this morning:

Quote:

1 Thess 4v3 says 'For this is the will of God, your santification, that you should abstain from sexual immorality'.

I also read:

Galations 5:13 - 13You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.

Titus 1:15-16 15To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. [b]16They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him.[/b] They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

19Do not put out the Spirit's fire; 20do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21Test everything. Hold on to the good. 22Avoid every kind of evil.

1 Thess. 5:16-24 23May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. [b]May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. [/b]24The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

2 Thess. 1:5-10 5All this is evidence that God's judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. 6God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. [b]8He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. [/b]9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power [b]10on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed.[/b] This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.

1 Thess. 2:10-12 [b]10You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous and blameless we were among you who believed. [/b]11For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, 12encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.

Galations 5:16-18 [b] 16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. [/b]

I guess the question to pose after this verse is - Do we, as Christians live by the Spirit? If we lived by the Spirit, then would it not be possible to be sanctified?

Galations 5:19-26 19[b]The acts of the sinful nature are obvious[/b]: sexual immorality, [b]impurity[/b] and debauchery; 20[b]idolatry[/b] and witchcraft; hatred, [b]discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions,[/b] factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. [b]I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. [/b]

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. [b]24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. [/b] 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

The words I highlighted in the above Scripture ([b]to do with the sinful nature[/b]), I did because those are "the most common" amongst Christians.

I have known these Scriptures for years, but I can't say that I have been like Christ in putting sin to death.

So, any thoughts?

2007/3/13 13:16Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
I believe sanctification plainly means seperated to God. I really don't see this being a life long process. [b]I believe it happens at conversion. [/b]

The greek word for sancitifcation is the same as the word for holy. We know that without holiness no man....

Agreed... It should happen at conversion, but does it? If we look at Christianity today, is sanctified living apart of one's faith (or belief system) and way of living?

2007/3/13 13:20Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:
I do not believe that we are commanded to do things that we cannot do. Therefore, I believe it is completely atainable.

Amen. This is exactly right!

2007/3/13 13:24Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
It should happen at conversion, but does it? If we look at Christianity today, is snactified living apart of one's faith (or belief system) and way of living?

The way I see it, it's part of the "package" we call "conversion."

1Cr 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Cr 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

2007/3/13 13:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy