SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Trust Him...He will be glorified

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Trust Him...He will be glorified

Here are some gleanings from the Lord given to me during my quiet time with the Lord a couple evenings ago. It blessed me so I thought I would pass on my simple gleanings to anyone who would like to read them.

“When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.” John 11:4
Am I willing to suffer for the glory of God to be manifested in my life? Lazarus had to suffer illness and death so that Jesus could be glorified. Mary and Martha had to suffer heart-breaking pain so Jesus could be glorified. The close friends of Jesus had to go through the deepest pain for their Friend to be glorified. Am I willing to also go through pain and suffering for His glory?

For four days Mary and Martha suffered heart-breaking pain over the loss of their brother and the seeming failure of their Friend who they had so believed in. “Why” must have been the foremost question in their hearts. How great their pain must have been to hear friends shake their heads over Jesus’ failure to come and heal Lazarus. For four days there must have been doubts in hearts as to who Jesus was and why he didn’t come.

“Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.” That word, “if” slips in. “Lord, if you had been here when I needed you,” “Lord, you’ve failed me” are the words that sometimes come pouring out of broken hearts. “Lord, if you had done what was needed I wouldn’t have this pain!” The broken heart may feel forsaken and let down by God. All we can see is our pain. But here with our story Christ has something far greater in mind for Martha and Mary.

“When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept.” John 11:33-35. These verses reveal how Jesus felt their pain.

“Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?” John 11:36-37. Here it is: the rebuke, “If Jesus had really loved Lazarus why didn’t he heal him?” Jesus allowed this, these words to be spoken, so that He could be glorified in an even greater way. There may be reproach right now because of how God is treating you now, but God is doing something greater than what often may appear to the human eye.

“Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.” John 11:39. Here we see Jesus going forward in His plan to manifest the works of God and Martha issues forth her objection, “Lord, this really isn’t a good idea, he’s been dead four days and the body stinks!” Sometimes God may make a move that we aren’t quite prepared for. But here it reveals Martha’s faith, or lack of it. How we respond to God’s working is revealing as to how much we really believe and trust in Him.

“Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?” John 11:40. If you believe you will see the glory of God.

“Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.” John 11:41-42. Jesus is confident in His Father. There is no doubt whatsoever in this relationship between Father and Son. It is an example of absolute confidence and trust. The last part of Jesus’ pray, “because of the people which stand by” shows us that Jesus is indeed manifesting Who He is to the people.

“And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.” John 11:43. Sometimes we have to cry out to God for deliverance. This would be an actual lifting up our voices and crying out loud.
“And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.” John 11:44. The answer! Glory to God!

“Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him. But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done. Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.” John 45-48. Many believed! But some were so hardened and skeptical that they couldn’t believe. Oh, is it possible for our hearts to be so hard that we miss the very miracles that God performs before our very eyes?!!

“What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.” To think that this was a problem! Oh, how blind they were. Here God was manifesting His power through His Son and they didn’t see it! Oh, here is that awful and devious sin, pride; we fear of coming and believing in Christ because of the cost. But it is far better to lose any worldly position we might have now than to lose a heavenly position with God in eternity!

These words are to encourage anyone who may be going through a painful trial, whether it may be physical pain, or having a loved one suffer. Or perhaps it is the pain of dissension within your church. One of the deepest pains can be having someone you love betray you and turn on you. Even that pain can be used for His glory. So, suffer patiently and believe God to manifest His glory through whatever trials you may be going through right now.

"Wherefore glorify ye the LORD in the fires, even the name of the LORD God of Israel in the isles of the sea." Isaiah 24:15

2007/3/10 19:16
JennRich

Alabama

Re: Trust Him...He will be glorified

Thanks, Joy, this is good. . .
Jennifer

2007/3/10 19:35Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Am I willing to suffer for the glory of God to be manifested in my life? Lazarus had to suffer illness and death so that Jesus could be glorified. Mary and Martha had to suffer heart-breaking pain so Jesus could be glorified. The close friends of Jesus had to go through the deepest pain for their Friend to be glorified. Am I willing to also go through pain and suffering for His glory?

This is an excellent area to ponder on, Joy. If you do a study of the New Testament, I think you find that "glory" is almost invariably matched with the ideal of "suffering". The Father suffered, and the Son suffered. All creation suffers, and we anticipate a glorious new earth. But, alas, suffering now is the price of future glory, and this is no better typified than by our Redeemer paying the death wage before His eternal glorification. As Isaac Watts so succinctly penned:

[i]"Thou hast redeemed our souls from hell
with Thine invaluable blood;
And wretches that did once rebel
Are now made favorites of their God."[/i]

Any suffering on our part is totally miniscule compared to the slaughter of God Incarnate. What is a slap in the face? What is spit in the eye? What is ridicule in public? What is rejection and slander and criticism? What is the crucifixion of our selfish, ungodly desires? If you give yourself totally and unequivocally to God, you will suffer the price for His glory to be magnified through you. Magnification of [i]anything[/i] is costly. Those massive Peabody observation telescopes and electron transmission microscopes cost scientists millions upon millions of dollars - well, how much more should it cost the child of God to experience the magnification of God's Spirit through his body? Infinitely more, I propose, for he pays the price with his own life, with the essence and sweat of his very soul.

Let's stay on this post a bit. I want to pull it up tomorrow and post more, as you've mined some fine gold here, sister. Since I work in the funeral industry, I am especially fascinated with the raising of the dead in John 11 and in Luke 7. I'm always eager to enter into a conversation concerning death, but I must be careful not to swing your gracious and wise post exclusively in that direction. People here know that I have a nasty habit of becoming overly ponderous...

God bless and keep you,

Brother Paul

2007/3/10 23:30Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Roniya, I hope it will be alright if I do not respond to your post in particular, I'm too tired right now to focus much. I would like to take up something which brother Paul shared as it was fresh on my mind tonight.

"If you do a study of the New Testament, I think you find that "glory" is almost invariably matched with the ideal of "suffering"."

This came to mind brother...

[i]If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you...i]

Just tonight I was thinking of this as I walked up to the house coming home. I had the opportunity to share something of the ministry of VOM with a Christian I met downtown tonight so it was fresh on my mind.

Anyway, I had the thought that suffering is not of itself virtuous or holy, but God's grace to endure it with godliness and patience is what makes it so. And also, that He may redeem it, for His purpose, and our good.

Peace be with your spirits in Christ.

2007/3/11 0:13Profile
kerrylou

Australia

I love this thought. To think that, my suffering can be used to witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Hebrews 11 shows the two sides of this coin. I have had similar meditations along these lines and wrote this verse:

In the Gospel it declares you
Took my sickness, bore my pain.
So I give them all to you, Lord,
To the Glory of your name.

I receive from you (X2)
All my healing; every blessing
I receive from you.

Jehovah Jireh: our provider
Every blessing comes from you.
You, alone the Lord our Healer
By whose stripes we know we're healed.

I come believing: nothing doubting,
By your Word I now receive.
Should I struggle - sometimes doubting,
Oh! Dear Lord, help me believe!

If you find these words encouraging you can sing them to the tune of I Surrender All.

Hope they bless you and many others,

Kerry

2007/3/11 0:39Profile

Roniya quoted

Quote:
“When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.” John 11:4

That was exactly what I needed to hear!!! Amen!!!

2007/3/11 1:19

Re: PaulWest

Quote:
PaulWest said: Any suffering on our part is totally miniscule compared to the slaughter of God Incarnate. What is a slap in the face? What is spit in the eye? What is ridicule in public? What is rejection and slander and criticism? What is the crucifixion of our selfish, ungodly desires? If you give yourself totally and unequivocally to God, you will suffer the price for His glory to be magnified through you. Magnification of anything is costly. Those massive Peabody observation telescopes and electron transmission microscopes cost scientists millions upon millions of dollars - well, how much more should it cost the child of God to experience the magnification of God's Spirit through his body? Infinitely more, I propose, for he pays the price with his own life, with the essence and sweat of his very soul.

This is powerful, brother...[i]"What is a slap in the face? What is spit in the eye? What is ridicule in public?"[/i] This human nature so dislikes suffering and pain. When we're focused on ourselves we will go to all kinds of means to avoid suffering...even to the point of not standing up for Christ because of the cost. But how very, very little is any suffering I might go through compared to what Christ went through! It is indeed miniscule!
We should indeed embrace suffering so that He will be glorified. It is in this life that we have the opportunity to die to our fleshly desires and suffer for Christ. In eternity we will be praising and serving our blessed Saviour and God! Gone will be the days of pain and sorrow.

"If you give yourself totally and unequivocally to God, you will suffer the price for His glory to be magnified through you."
Ah brother, how true this is. But it is worth it. It is worth the pain of suffering the despising and scoffing of man...anything to have God glorified in this frail mortal bit of clay is worth it! I'm thinking of Frances Ridley Havergal and the [i]life[/i] of physical pain that she suffered so patiently through. God was glorified in her life. I think of Robert M'Cheyne and David Brainerd, both had frail health and died young, and God was glorified! It costs them so much, but I don't think they considered it too great a price to pay.
Who was it that said, "If Jesus Christ died for me than no sacrifice can be too great to make for Him."? I think C.T. Studd said that. And there was a life that made great sacrifices for his Lord! The final years of his life were spent in Africa seperated from his beloved wife...that is sacrifice!

Quote:
PaulWest: Let's stay on this post a bit. I want to pull it up tomorrow and post more, as you've mined some fine gold here, sister. Since I work in the funeral industry, I am especially fascinated with the raising of the dead in John 11 and in Luke 7. I'm always eager to enter into a conversation concerning death, but I must be careful not to swing your gracious and wise post exclusively in that direction. People here know that I have a nasty habit of becoming overly ponderous...

Please dear brother, post as God leads you. I've been often blessed by your 'ponderous' posts. :) they are so rich and deep...as God gives you things to share please do not withhold them.

2007/3/12 12:11

Re: ChrisJD

Quote:
ChrisJD said: Anyway, I had the thought that suffering is not of itself virtuous or holy, [b]but God's grace to endure it with godliness and patience is what makes it so.[/b] And also, that He may redeem it, for His purpose, and our good.

That is when God is glorified! When we respond to our trials and pain in a Christlike way that is different than our natural instincts dictate than the world sees the difference that Christ makes in a life and God is glorified and praised.

2007/3/12 12:19

Re:

Quote:
Kerry:
In the Gospel it declares you
Took my sickness, bore my pain.
So I give them all to you, Lord,
To the Glory of your name.

I receive from you (X2)
All my healing; every blessing
I receive from you.

Jehovah Jireh: our provider
Every blessing comes from you.
You, alone the Lord our Healer
By whose stripes we know we're healed.

I come believing: nothing doubting,
By your Word I now receive.
Should I struggle - sometimes doubting,
Oh! Dear Lord, help me believe!

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to save it for future reference and encouragement. :-)

2007/3/12 12:24
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: self-preservation

Roniya,

"This human nature so dislikes suffering and pain. When we're focused on ourselves we will go to all kinds of means to avoid suffering...even to the point of not standing up for Christ because of the cost."

Very much a recurring thought here that keeps surfacing, along with what the Lord said

[b][color=660033]...whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.[/color][/b]

...[b]Self[/b]-[i]Preservation[/i]

the antithesis of the Cross?

Just now I had the thought of a drop of water and an ocean, how that our lives are like a drop of water which we've been given by God. We may hold onto this drop and it will be expended. Or we may pour it out, back into the ocean of God's life from which it came and be a part of that river that flows forever.

2007/3/12 12:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy