SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Finney

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Re:

Let me attempt to clarify the statemet in question one more time. I am not stating that major doctrinal issues are unimportant. But let me ask you this. Does our salvation depend on having a full grasp on every doctrinal position we hold so dear?

The only thing we need to understand for salvation to occur is that we recogize that we are sinners, seperated from God by that sin and that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for that sin on the cross. We must repent of our sin and place our trust in the free gift of grace made possible through the cross.

As we grow in the Lord, our maturity as believers is dependent in many ways on our grasp of doctrinal issues, this is absolutely true. But even here there are doctrines that we can't all agree on. It is these doctrines that I was specifically refering to in my initial post. The previous post had to do with several men who had been used of God in great revivals. It was pointed out that in spite of some doctrinal differences they all were used of God. Why? Because each had faith to move mountains of disbelief and men commited to fervent prayer to that end.

Prayer filled faith then is seen to be of greater importance in revival than these lesser doctrinal issues. I also pointed out that even Finney saw great revival in his preaching, and he had some even bigger doctrinal holes in his theology.

So where does this leave us? Which is more important for us to see revival in our time? That we have all our doctrines neatly tied up in our understanding, or that we fall on our face and intercede for the millions of lost souls perishing every day around us?

I will say it again, and hold fast to this conviction. The insistent prayer of faith is of greater importance to the kingdom of God than doctrine.

I will say this again as well. This does not mean that we diminish the importance of doctrine, especially the ones raised by or brother Mahoney.

What I found perplexing is that I haven't stated anything new here that, at least I thought, couldn't have been seen and understood by reading my first post.

I hope this clears things up.

In His Love,

Doug

2007/3/13 3:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
If my doctrine about who God is is wrong then my faith is pointless.

That is a dangerous statement.

Do you have a perfect understanding of every character and attribute of God?

Is your doctrine 100% perfect? (If so then does everyone else who doesnt absolutely agree with you on every point have a dead faith?)

I would say that if we have the wrong type of faith then our doctrine is pointless. Now I do agree that major doctrine is important but there are minor doctrines we can disagree on to an extent and still call each other brothers, cant we?

In Christ - Jim

2007/3/13 10:05
DIEDTOSELF

Minnesota

Re:

Quote:
Now I do agree that major doctrine is important but there are minor doctrines we can disagree on to an extent and still call each other brothers, cant we?

As long as you don't mention Finney!!

In the Love of Christ,

Craig

2007/3/13 10:23Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

thank you I understand it much better. Or least were you are coming from.
charlene

2007/3/13 10:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy