SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can A Single Woman Be A Missionary?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Fascinating post, Ian.

Another person you can easily add to your list of female missionaries is Evelyn Brand. She stayed on to minister to the people after the death of her beloved husband, Jesse. Her story can be read on: http://www.tlogical.net/biobrand.htm
http://chi.gospelcom.net/GLIMPSEF/Glimpses/glmps177.shtml
There is also the book "Granny Brand" by Dorothy Clark Wilson. Granny is one fascinating and inspiring lady...one who endured more then most people I know could, male or female.

Interesting thread, Krispy,
ginnyrose

2007/3/9 14:00Profile

Re: usurping authority?

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Now, women can not be pastors of churches. That is clear in scripture. And I'll let you find out where... you dont learn anything if I tell you where to look. ;-)

Krispy

Hi Bro Krispy.

[i]As a general rule[/i] it is clear in Scripture that women should not have authority over men. I agree with you completely, (that's why I was in some doubt when the call first came). But only as a general rule, not an absolute rule for all times and situations - including the missionery situation.

Have you looked into [i]all[/i] the relevant Scriptures, not only what Paul said? Its not necessarily as clear as you think.

There are at least two [i]scriptural[/i] exceptions to Paul's rule on women not teaching etc. (I mentioned them in another thread some time ago - [i]I'll let you find out where... you dont learn anything if I tell you where to look.[/i] ;-) ;-) ;-) )

...Looking up the word "usurp", it means [i][color=000099] "1 one who with his own hands kills another or himself. 2 one who acts on his own authority, autocratic. 3 an absolute master. 4 to govern, exercise dominion over one."[/color][/i] The first meaning doesn't apply of course but the others suggest a degree of bossiness that might not be right even for a male leader, and even less attractive in a woman!

Are you [i]100% sure[/i] you have interpreted all relevant Scripture aright? What about historical and cultural context for example? Is the principle true for all time, (as is the moral Law), or a temporary rule to promote order in the congregations and cultural setting of Paul's day? Paul said "[i][b]I[/b][/i] suffer not a woman to teach..." He didn't say that this was an absolute rule for all time, but that this was the way he, having the Lord's authority in that situation, maintained proper and decent order in the churches.*

Women in Paul's day normally didn't get religious education, and in the Synagogue they had to sit behind a curtain in a different part from the men (which sadly enabled them to gossip rather than entering in to the worship). In that culture it would be a very exceptional woman who would be fit to teach, let alone be in charge of a congregation. And most women, [i]even today[/i], (including myself, so there's no personal axe to grind here - I normally feel much more comfortable under male leadership), are not fitted to be in charge in such a way.

Yet, in these days, missionery ladies (and sometimes ladies in very small churches, at least in the UK) often find themselves having to teach congregations, including men, simply because there's no-one else able to do so.

...I'm so glad, Bro, that we can tease each other and still be friends :-)

Jeannette

*PS Do you also insist that women should cover their heads, for example? (I know of one woman who would put a duster on her head if she felt the urge to pray when doing the housework!)

2007/3/9 14:43

Re:

Quote:

John173 wrote:
Great post Ian. Thanks.

This thread got me thinking about a book I read called "Eternity in their Hearts" by Don Richardson. A great read, quite amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Their-Hearts-Startling-Throughout/dp/0830709258

One story that was told had to do with a tribal chieftan who came to the conclusion that there must be one Creator. He went to a high place to seek Him. Somehow this man understood that he was to go back to his village and prod a donkey out of the village and follow it. This donkey walked and walked until it stopped at a well in the middle of the closest missionary compound.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a little encouragement or needs to see just how sovereign our God truly is.

Im His Love,

Doug

Yes, I love Don Richardson's writings. Most of the earlier missioneries seem to have had no idea how to use the already existing cultural echoes of salvation in the people they went to, but imposed their own Western culture wholesale.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/3/9 14:49

Re:

Quote:
There are at least two scriptural exceptions to Paul's rule on women not teaching etc

...Just noticed that Ian mentioned a third, Priscilla, although I don't know that its quite clear if she took on an "official" leadership or teaching role, or only in private with her husband, but she was certainly prominent in the Church...

2007/3/9 14:54

Re:

These women were not elders in a local church. They were not teachers in a local church. There are a lot of assumptions going on here in order to make scripture say what you want it to say. Scripture does not say that they were elders, nor that they held positions of authority in the church.

Krispy

2007/3/9 15:14

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
These women were not elders in a local church. They were not teachers in a local church. There are a lot of assumptions going on here in order to make scripture say what you want it to say. Scripture does not say that they were elders, nor that they held positions of authority in the church.

Krispy

Which women are you talking about? That is possibly true of Priscilla and probably true of one of my examples. The other however was [i]much more[/i] than a leader of a local church!

And who knows if you too are making "assumptions in order to make scripture say what you want it to say"?

I think this is a good time to stop - at least for me. I want to provoke you to considering these things in a different light, but not to annoy you. As Doug pointed out, we don't know or understand the unsearchable wisdom of God, so maybe best leave it there.

Love in Him

Jeannette

2007/3/9 15:31

Re: Can A Single Woman Be A Missionary?

Anyone who doubts women should be in the mission field should listen to Jackie Pullinger's testimonies before they even comment... Helen Roseveare is another positively outstanding missionary... Ohhhhh... the Spirit in these women's voices...

God Bless

2007/3/9 15:54
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Women in the bible... besides the obvious ones like Ruth, Esther etc. there are our new testament heroes.

Lydia - the church met in her home, well she was the first person to accept Christ in that community, so she probably raised up the church (that met in her home, not her husband's home) and did a lot of the leadership.

Priscilla - We've already mentioned Priscilla, who according to biblical scholars held a matriarchal role in her marriage (her name was listed before her husbands, which in Greek culture meant that she was the one in charge, or the more important one). She was a faithful helper to Paul in his mission organization.

Mary Magdelane - In Jewish culture only men's testimonies were admissable in court. Yet the first person to testify to the resurrection was a woman... this is one of the places where Christianity very quickly turns away from it's Jewish roots. Women were no longer untrustworthy, but could now testify to the resurrection of the Lord.

The Samaritan Woman - After Jesus confessed that he was the Messiah to come, she quickly went and called all the people of the surrounding village to come and meet Jesus, she met Jesus and within moments became one of the very first missionaries.

There are many more examples we could draw on from the Word of God and from Christian History to show that women are fit for Evangelism, Church Planting, Mission Work, Teaching, Encouraging, Working Among the Poor, and yes, even Leading!

2007/3/9 16:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
And who knows if you too are making "assumptions in order to make scripture say what you want it to say"?

Here's the thing... when scripture (thru Paul) says that a woman is not to teach men, and in several places there are requirements for a person who wants to be an elder... some of which is impossible for a woman to fulfill (husband of one wife, for instance)... AND then you bring up several names of possible NT women "pastors" when scripture never says they were "pastors" or "elders", then we must come down on the conservative side of things here. To do otherwise is to make assumptions.

And I'm ok... not feeling argumenative or upset. I know what I believe and am confident in it to the fullest extent. For me to feel upset is to feel threatened... which I dont. :-)

Krispy

2007/3/9 16:36

Re:

Quote:
Lydia - the church met in her home, well she was the first person to accept Christ in that community, so she probably raised up the church (that met in her home, not her husband's home) and did a lot of the leadership.

Just because the church met in her home does not mean she was in the leadership of that church. We have several house churches where the hosts are not leaders... they simply have a more convenient place to meet. This is an assumption you're making... one that contradicts scripture.

While true these women you listed are heroes of the faith... scripture never mentions anything about them being part of the organized leadership of the local churches. Y'all are reading todays feminist society into scripture... and into a society that would reject modern feminism. Be careful that you are not "adding to scripture". You have to read everything in context. Y'all are basically saying "Yea, scripture says this... but over here, this was going on." But you can only say that when you make the assumptions you are making, which have no basis in scripture.

If scripture contradicts itself, like y'all are basically saying (without saying it), then we might as well throw out the Bible... none of it is trustworthy.

Krispy

2007/3/9 16:39

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy