SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : advice on a verse

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
strawrifle

uk

advice on a verse

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

I don't understand this verse..It says God is long suffering and not willing that any should perish,so he waits..But surly the longer he waits the more people are born,and more people live and then die and perish..By waiting surly He does the opposite of what Hes wishing?

aj

2007/3/6 15:41Profile
Logic

Re: advice on a verse

Quote:

strawrifle wrote:

I don't understand this verse..It says God is long suffering and not willing that any should perish,so he waits..But surly the longer he waits the more people are born,and more people live and then die and perish..By waiting surly He does the opposite of what Hes wishing?

Are you implyeing that those who are born,
and live and then die and perish, never have a chanct to accept the truth & be saved?

Life is a gift and the more people who are born, the more people who may be with Him, that would give Him more Glory.

2007/3/6 18:53Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi Strawrifle, how are you?

I've had some similar thoughts about this verse, in thinking of it as it is often mentioned.

But then, something just stood out to me though, as I was thinking of another way I've heard this explained. What stands out is this...[i]us-ward[/i]. Other translations that I'm looking at have it as [b]to you[/b] or [b]you-ward[/b]. I think that is significant.

Chris

2007/3/6 18:56Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi Logic no i'm not implying that,but it just struck me as kind of catch 22..True more will be with Him,but also more wont..It says He wishes no one to perish,but while waiting He creates more people knowing some will..

Chris yes thats a great point,ur saying it's more a personal verse?

andy

2007/3/6 19:44Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

II Peter 3:9 is a beautiful verse that demonstrates the love of God.

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Some people emphasize the words 'not willing' and say that God is so patient and not willing that any person in the world perish that he is waiting for all men to come to repentance. But as strawrifle pointed out

Quote:
It says God is long suffering and not willing that any should perish,so he waits..But surly the longer he waits the more people are born,and more people live and then die and perish..By waiting surly He does the opposite of what Hes wishing?

I affirm that the Lord does not delight in the death of anyone, but take a closer look at the verse.

To whom is God longsuffering? Us.

Who is the 'Us' referring to? The Beloved mentioned in verse 8. "But, beloved"

Who are the Beloved? The people Peter is addressing in his letter.
Verse 1 - "This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you."

To whom is Peter writing this letter? Those who come to a saving knowledge of Christ--Christians.
2 Peter 1:1 - "Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ"

But this is the second letter, what does the first say about the intended audience? 1 Peter 1:2 - "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ."

Peter is not saying in this verse that God is patient with all men hoping that every person comes to repentance. Peter is saying that the Lord is not slow in keeping his promise to his elect concerning his second coming. The Lord is longsuffering because he is not willing that anyone elected according to the foreknowledge of God should perish before the second coming and that all of the elect come to repentance.

2007/3/6 21:39Profile
rookie

Re:

Job 33:8 ¶ Surely thou hast spoken in mine hearing, and I have heard the voice of [thy] words, [saying],
9 I am clean without transgression, I [am] innocent; neither [is there] iniquity in me.
10 Behold, he findeth occasions against me, he counteth me for his enemy,
11 He putteth my feet in the stocks, he marketh all my paths.
12 ¶ Behold, [in] this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man.
13 Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters.
14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, [yet man] perceiveth it not.
15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
17 That he may withdraw man [from his] purpose, and hide pride from man.
18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
19 ¶ He is chastened also with pain upon his bed, and the multitude of his bones with strong [pain]:
20 So that his life abhorreth bread, and his soul dainty meat.
21. His flesh is consumed away, that it cannot be seen; and his bones [that] were not seen stick out.
22 Yea, his soul draweth near unto the grave, and his life to the destroyers.
23 ¶ If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness:
24 Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.
25 His flesh shall be fresher than a child's: he shall return to the days of his youth:
26 He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness.
27 He looketh upon men, and [if any] say, I have sinned, and perverted [that which was] right, and it profited me not;

Job 33:28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

Job 33:29 Lo, all these [things] worketh God oftentimes with man,

Look at the last verse of this sequence...God is patient, He is not willing that any perish...for He give witness...listen to Proverbs.

Pro 1:20 ¶ Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, [saying],
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

God freely gives counsel to all, God is patient and calls out to all. In the above verses, the Holy Spirit brings wisdom from God. The question is do we choose to hear?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/3/6 22:03Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

[b][color=CC0000]2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. [/color][/b]

Many calvinists, interpret this verse as Jay did, frankly they have no choice but to interpret it that way, if they did not, it would destroy their theology.

Let me start with the first phrase,

[b][color=CC0000]The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness;[/color][/b]

The obvious meaning of this phrase is that the Lord fulfills his promises completely and totally, and is not lacking on any part of any single promise.

[b][color=CC0000]but is longsuffering to us-ward,[/color][/b]

Now, a calvinist says that that is us, "the elect". But if you read the rest of the verse, the tenses don't match with their interpretation of it.

I submit to you, that the us is man, the tense of the entire verse is present tense, and as such, if Peter is talking about himself, then he is saying that he has not yet repented, and God is being patient with him until he does. But we already know he has repented, so he is not talking about himself.

So, either Peter does not consider himself to be one of "the elect", or he is not talking about himself, and is thus talking about man.

[b][color=CC0000]not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.[/color][/b]

I believe this phrase is self-explanatory. It is not God's will for any man to go to hell, hell was created for the devil and his angels, not man. And God does not want man to go to hell. God cannot overide man's free will, so he is patient with him, showing him much mercy and longsuffering.

And yes, God realizes that the longer he waits, the more people will be born. But they have the same opportunity as we do who are already saved, and the same as God was long suffering toward us, He will be towards them as well.

2007/3/7 10:03Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Ben and I have presented two views of 2 Peter 3:9. I pray that each person would pray about which is true and which is false. Let God be the judge and let us all glorify His holy name.

2007/3/7 10:09Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

If God is willing to save "all", but cannot save "all", the He must not be Almighty for there is something that is more powerful than Him, that being the free will of man. Thus free will becomes diefied and we are left with an impotent god who really really would like to save all men, but cannot because the created thing has usurped the power of the Creator.

Brother Ben could I take Romans 8:28 and give it to an unbeliever to comfort them? Of course not, because it is not written to the unbeliever, but rather the Saint who is in Christ. Thus we must factor in the audience to which the Epistle is addressed as Jay has done a wonderful job of doing.

There is much danger in thinking that man somehow is more powerful than God. Arminian theology has opened the door for many of the problems we have today. The idea that there is any good in man has led to much of the new age teachings that god is in all of us, it has led to universal ideas that we are all God's children, it has opened the door to universalism and many self centered pursuits of religious experience.

If we would simply start at the first point
Total Inability which declares that man is dead in sin, and can do nothing but sin we might begin to see things differently. I fear that we have made too little of sin, and have thus made too little of a Saviour, and now we are reaping the reprecussions.

P.S. This is coming from one who used to be the Arminian of Arminians, so please take that into consideration. I did not arrive at these conclusions from any book other than the Scriptures. Then I read other works to see if what I was sensing was true throughout Historical Christian Doctrine.

2007/3/7 14:21Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Quote:
If God is willing to save "all", but cannot save "all", the He must not be Almighty for there is something that is more powerful than Him, that being the free will of man. Thus free will becomes diefied and we are left with an impotent god who really really would like to save all men, but cannot because the created thing has usurped the power of the Creator.

This is a common claim by calvinists everywhere, that if God wanted everyone to be saved, then they would be.

Answer me this: [b] Is it God's will for man to sin?[/b]

I will answer the question for you, NO, it is not his will for man to sin. It is His will that men would walk in righteousness. But man still sins.

In the same way, It is not God's will for men to die and go to hell, it is His will for them to be saved, but men still act contrary to God's will, as they have since Adam sinned.
What you fail to realize is that it does not deitize free will, it makes it pivotal to the Christian faith. You cannot be saved unless you believe. God draws you, calls you, reaches out to you. All in perfection, and then you have the choice to either believe or not. You cannot prove that man does not have to choose to believe in the scripture without digging for a needle in a haystack of other scriptures that teach that you do.

Jesus says that if Tyre and Sidon had seen the signs and wonders that the Jews saw, they would have believed. He placed the blame upon both the Jews, and also upon Tyre and Sidon for not believing. If only He could bestow irrisistable grace, He could not then have blamed either the Jews, or Tyre and Sidon for not believing, because they could not anyways. That would be called an unrighteous judgment.

Quote:
Brother Ben could I take Romans 8:28 and give it to an unbeliever to comfort them? Of course not, because it is not written to the unbeliever, but rather the Saint who is in Christ. Thus we must factor in the audience to which the Epistle is addressed as Jay has done a wonderful job of doing.

Actually, if you do an apologetic study of the entire book of Romans, it was written to the Jews who had a conflict with the gospel that Paul was preaching. Only a small section is written to others, (the gentiles) which is found in chapters 10 and 11.

So I am sorry, but you are incorrect in this point. If you take any verse from Romans without first doing a whole book study, you rob the verse of its intended meaning. When the Bible was written, it was not seperated by chapter and verse. Although chapters and verses are a helpful guide through the Bible, they have caused far more error in interpretation than justifies that purpose.

When you said "total inability" are you referring to "Total Depravity"? Because that is contrary not only to Romans 1 and 2, but many other sections of the Bible.

2007/3/7 15:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy