PosterThread
pacowup

mmm

2007/3/6 11:45Profile
BudTexas

Fort Worth, TX

Re: Beyond Tithing Launched

Hello:

Do you believe tithing is for The Body of Christ, The Church?

Tithing is clearly in the Law which believers are not under.

Tithing is mentioned before the law but so are other things. Abraham gave a 10th (one time). He also circumcised and did animal sacrifice.

Animal sacrifice is out for believers.

Circumcision is optional for personal reasons.

Justification for tithing by The Church does not exist in scripture. Giving does and only cheerful giving is acceptable.

What do you say?

2007/3/13 21:59Profile
pacowup

Re: Beyond Tithing

mmm

2007/7/30 7:10Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Matt 23v23, ...for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone'

Maybe it is okay to not tithe, maybe it isn't.

All I know is, I do tithe and will continue to do so.

It is to my peril that I do otherwise.

I have seen over the years the outcome of those who have refused to tithe, and I never want to be in their shoes.

I am talking about people who have nearly lost their homes because they refuse to tithe, and I am not exaggerating.

It is only when they started to tithe that the situation changed.

Some say that tithing is not for the Church. Where does it say that in scripture?

2 Cor 9 deals with giving. Is it because tithing is not mentioned specifically in this chapter that it means we do not tithe?

It was mentioned that Abraham tithed once.

David danced once in the Old Testament, but yet many in the churches today dance.

Where does it say that Jesus or the apostles danced?

So if we should not tithe today, we should not dance today, right?

And dancing is not part of the law, or is it?

I'll leave you with that.

God bless.

2007/7/30 8:14Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: Beyond Tithing

Although not raised in any church, I did happen to read my Bible.

Christians are exhorted to give.

How much?

Well, if you want to get your prosperity bucket filled, work hard, and invest your money.

Yet if you want your blessings bucket filled, you might be surprised at how faithful God is to His promises.

I began tithing out of my poverty...I had just been in my life changing auto accident, my husband had deserted me, my pride had gotten in the way of seeking the appropriate help for claiming the various insurance policies I had, and I was left with a total of $731.00 per month.

Now, no matter how you deal with it, $731.00 is not enough to live on in the US, much less in So. California, particularly if you have a house payment to make, prescriptions to fill, debts to pay, and so forth. And even if I was willing to starve, which I wasn't, 2 oversize Doberman's and a Coyote Mutt were not willing to go without their morning Dogbones, or their rabie's shots.

I call it the year of no mortgage.

Never having giving much of anything to anyone until that time, tithing seemed ridiculous.

Even so, I did that a word search through the Bible on giving, tithing, alms, and so forth in the Bible, and you know...it's there!

Surprise!

Jesus spoke of it when He criticised the Pharisees for their hypocrisy.

And grace only takes away the burden of the law unto death, for Jesus has already died for us.

The laws don't disappear, or why are we still following the Ten Commandments?

The penalty is gone for not being perfect, if we place our lives in Jesus' hands.

But what about those laws that are supposed to be written on our hearts?

Handing over my 10% of that $731.00 didn't bother me, after I read all the blessings that come with the law of tithing and first fruits.

And if you know you can't pay your bill, why not pay your tithe? I knew I was going to lose my house unless God took care of it for me. I knew I might lose it regardless of my tithe.

I didn't. The loan company gave me a signature loan refinancing my house and past due interest before I even got the few dollars that I could collect, my attorneys having missed the filing days for my lawsuits.

My social security went up over $500.00, but where I live, that's not enough to pay the house payment.

Then my family decided to pay it for me.

Their income went up the same year by 10,000 per year, and to this day, they do not understand what happened to make that extra money start coming in. They don't know or understand how God works.

They gave to me, so I could keep my little house.

God honored them helping the poor in their own family, and multiplied their giving.

I kept tithing...not being in a church, I give to Israel's orphans, to the Los Angeles Mission, supporting just one family with food for the month; for water wells and emergency food in Africa, for prison ministies, for missionaries, even for a Christian radio station that I think does a lot of good.

God just saved my water rights to the lower aquafer in my mountain valley...some of the purest, cleanest water seen in decades in California. Co-incidence? I don't believe in them.

I always have enough, and I don't know how it stretches. And what I give, well, it's not a lot, because I don't have a lot.

But God certainly seems to care that I tithe.

The blessing of the Tithe is one we can pick up, simply by listening to Jesus on giving.

In Luke 6:38. Jesus says, "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

And please do remember, Jesus was talking to Jews! They knew the laws on Tithing!

What they did not understand was the blessing that comes from tithing. No, not riches, but a constant, vigilant care of the Father for my welfare, because I choose to obey Him in this.

Under grace, I'm positive it wouldn't hurt my salvation not to tithe.

But my absolute trust that God keeps His word has been proven to me, so many times, that I am positive that it would hurt my circumstances if I choose not to give that 10%+ where He leads me to give it.

And it is always strange how 90% of my money pays for more than 100% of my money used to.

As for going above 10%? Definately, bit by bit, as I stretch to pull a few dollars more as the Holy Spirit prompts me.

And while I want to have enough to enjoy in this world, once I have all I need, I'd just as soon have my spiritual bank account growing, and accoumulating blessings!

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/7/30 8:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
But what about those laws that are supposed to be written on our hearts?

Yes, what about them? Are they the whole entire 600 and some laws that were to be written on the tablets our heart?

Tithing is good if our motive is right.
Tithing will work if our motive is right.

It's not the giving aspect, but it's our faith in applying that giving.

Many Christians have not the faith to give, because they do not know the principles of giving out their poverty or even out of their wealth.

When our motive is right, when our faith is right and we give right, blessings will follow.

However, if we give because the law demands it and there is no faith in giving and it becomes a ritual to us, we are then treading dangerously.

"Whatsoever is not of faith is sin".

2007/7/30 9:30
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Re:

What an awesome testimony of faith and obedience Forrest! THANK YOU for sharing that with us!:-D

Like the saying goes... without a test, we have no testimony. :-)

2007/7/30 9:52Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
When our motive is right, when our faith is right and we give right, blessings will follow.

This pretty much sums it up. I once heard someone talking about their financial situation, how it was not as good as they had hoped: “I give more than 10%...I just don’t know what’s going on”.

Motivation is key. I think there are lots of people that tithe just to receive blessings. God knows our ulterior motives.

2007/7/30 10:09Profile

Re:

Quote:
Matt 23v23, ...for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone'

In this case Jesus was speaking to leaders of the Jewish religion, and this was before Christ fulfilled the Law... so of course they ought to have tithed. It was required of them. But lets keep it in it's context... which is prior to the fulfilling of the Law.

Folks, people who insist tithing is for the church are well meaning, but yet they are the modern day Judaisers in that they are trying to put the Jewish Law on Christians as a way to please God.

God's grace is sufficient for me.

Krispy

2007/7/30 12:31

Re:

Quote:
Folks, people who insist tithing is for the church are well meaning, but yet they are the modern day Judaisers in that they are trying to put the Jewish Law on Christians as a way to please God.

Amen... we are not under law but under grace. God no longer requires 1/10th of our money and 1/7th of our time... its 100%

In Christ - Jim

2007/7/30 13:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy