SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fire At Ben Israel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

BudTexas,

"God works for good in everything toward those who love Him."

I don't think that would be possible, except God had control, over everything.

Chris

2007/3/23 21:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
ChrisJD on 2007/3/24 2:04:01
I don't think that would be possible, except God had control, over everything.

I think it would be very possible. The question is whether or not God 'works all things' or whether he 'works for good'. Has God scripted the circumstances or is he using them?

2007/3/24 5:15Profile

Re: Fire at Ben Israel

philologos said

Quote:
Has God scripted the circumstances or is he using them?

If God could script the circumstances of Jesus' life, intending that He should die for the sin of the world, and has allowed many saints to die purely for the honour and glory of His name, since then, I think your question which puts the two aspects of His love at variance with each other, points up the differnce between man's ability to comprehend His ways and His ways which are higher than ours.

If poses a difficulty to human logic, to hold these points together, but surely no more than holding the many apparently contradictory verses of scripture together, as contributing to our greater knowledge of God?

2007/3/24 7:03
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

22 Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away. 23 After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone. 24 But the boat was already a long distance from the land, battered by the waves; for the wind was contrary. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”

28 Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” 29 And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said* to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind stopped. 33 And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”

I find this an interesting story in Matthew 14:22-33. In this story we find that Jesus commanded the disciples to get into a boat and go across the sea. Then Jesus went ahead and went up the side of a mountain to pray. What I find interesting is that Jesus seems to have deliberately put His disciples through a personal storm in order that they might have a greater revelation of Him, and a greater trust in God's word.

So, sometimes God in His sovereignty does deliberately put us through trying times. In the midst of such, Jesus did have a rebuke for Peter regarding the littleness of his faith. He uses the fires of trial to remove any dross, and refine our character.

2007/3/24 10:04Profile
BudTexas

Fort Worth, TX

Re: God less mysterious then most think

God acts sovereignly by His Word.

In Mark 4 Jesus reveals THE MYSTERY of the kingdom. THE MYSTERY has been entrusted to us. Everything works through what is discribed as "THE MYSTERY".

If you don't understand this you won't understand anything about the kingdom of God (see verse 13).

11And He said to them, To you has been entrusted the mystery of the kingdom of God [that is, [b]the secret counsels of God which are hidden from the ungodly]; but for those outside [[c]of our circle] everything becomes a parable,

12In order that they may [indeed] look and look but not see and perceive, and may hear and hear but not grasp and comprehend, [d]lest haply they should turn again, and it [[e]their willful rejection of the truth] should be forgiven them.(A)

13And He said to them, Do you not discern and understand this parable? How then is it possible for you to discern and understand all the parables?

14The sower sows the Word.

Of course God is sovereign Col 1:7 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power,

God has made His Word Law. He made gravity by His Word and gravity continues to this day. God is not "sovereignly" adjusting gravity according to circumstances or even prayers of His saints.

As to healing, He has said many things. One is "By His stripes, you were healed". Even praying for healing is out of line according to the Word. He has already done it, like gravity.

2007/3/24 21:16Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Even praying for healing is out of line according to the Word.

"Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him...and the prayer of faith shall save the sick..." (Jas. 5:14-15)

"...and pray for one another that ye may be healed..." (v.16)

2007/3/24 21:26Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Ron,

"Has God scripted the circumstances or is he using them?"

Or maybe we could put it another way? that is, is God controling the events of history actively, or passively, or both?

A man who, in one, sudden, purposeful act of his will, wins a total and absolute victory over his foe, who before this has checked and opposed him at a thousand different points of contest, though all momentarily and only because he that got the final victory only withstood him passively, that is he did not bring to bear the full measure and potential of his might against him, this one, though he only exercised his control in force once unto victory, [b]yet he was in control all along[/b].

[i]And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.[/i]

[i]Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?[/i]

[i]But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.[/i]

[i]For the Lord of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?[/i]

Chris

2007/3/24 23:26Profile
BudTexas

Fort Worth, TX

Re: Prayer in James there is to speak blessing toward the sick

The praying in James 5 for the sick is a prayer of faith. That prayer is a speaking to the person a blessing.

The elders, knowing their authority in Christ, would speak healing over the sick. Rebuking the sickness (not of God) to leave, and health (of God) to be manifest.

Peter prayed in this way for a man with a birth defect in Acts 3. He spoke blessing towards the man: "Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk."

Notice, Peter knew what he had and used it.

2007/3/25 13:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy