SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Communion

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
strawrifle

uk

Communion

Hi all we had Communion this week at Church...They use crackers for the bread, and man that stuff can be tough to swallow unless the "wine" comes after..

It got me thinking the order in the Bible is bread then the wine..I'm just thinking aloud here,but it strikes me the bread is also symbolic for the word right? All the things in the word that we are led to do after Salvation, can be tough to swallow,unless there swallowed with are eyes on the blood.

aj

2007/3/5 16:00Profile
John173

Omaha

Re: Communion

Andy,

I have often marveled when considering the elements the Lord chose to represent His body and blood. Bread is made by combining ground wheat, water and oil. Wheat was used in several parables to represent believers, water represents the word of God, and oil is representative of the Holy Spirit. Put them all together and what do you get? The body of Christ.

Your church used crackers as they are a form of bread without any leaven (yeast). Leaven causes the bread to become puffed up (pride in our hearts does the same). Leaven is representative of sin. Because Jesus had no sin, the bread used for communion must be free from leaven.

I like your observation, I've never looked at it from that angle. Be careful though, some here will accuse you of being an unregenerate sinner for suggesting that the Word of God can be difficult to swallow.

In Him,

Doug

2007/3/5 16:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
suggesting that the Word of God can be difficult to swallow.

Gulp...gulp...ahhhh :-D

Now on a serious note: I am curious, when you have communion, do you also wash feet?

ginnyrose

2007/3/5 16:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
suggesting that the Word of God can be difficult to swallow.

Gulp...gulp...ahhhh :-D

Now on a serious note: I am curious, when you have communion, do you also wash feet?

ginnyrose

2007/3/5 16:46Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi all, Doug true about crackers being the same as bread etc,it just got me thinking about this thread..As far as quote

"accuse you of being an unregenerate sinner for suggesting that the Word of God can be difficult to swallow"

I was thinking more about what it tells us to do i.e lift up the cross,love others etc etc..To me it is hard to swallow,meaning : to do it..I guess from Jonah through time to me!!..Its been my experiences other Christian find it tough to!!..

Ginny i'm new to this Church..It was my first communion there..They didn't wash feet this time,not to say they don't ever..

GB all
andy

2007/3/5 18:07Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

"accuse you of being an unregenerate sinner for suggesting that the Word of God can be difficult to swallow"

This was an inappropriate comment on my part. To the whole family at SI, I apologize.

In Him,

Doug

2007/3/5 18:32Profile
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

AJ wrote:
It got me thinking the order in the Bible is bread then the wine..I'm just thinking aloud here,but it strikes me the bread is also symbolic for the word right? All the things in the word that we are led to do after Salvation, can be tough to swallow,unless there swallowed with are eyes on the blood

Wow, I never look on Communion like that before. Thank you dear AJ! I will remember that.

Ginnyrose, We have footwashing occassionally. I know that many assemblies say it is not neccessary nowadays, but it is an amazing experience.

2007/3/5 20:19Profile
Santana

Quote:
All the things in the word that we are led to do after Salvation, can be tough to swallow,unless there swallowed with are eyes on the blood.

I really, really like this. Good one strawrifle (whatever that means =)

2007/3/5 20:24Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi all, i think what i'm trying to say is

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

That to eat the bread needs us to focus on the blood,cross..But also for us to remember we must be crucified,100% dead or the bread start to become indigestible..

aj

2007/3/5 21:37Profile
jordanamo

Re:

"It's difficult to swallow the Word"-- you kidding? :-) The difficult part, I find, is to chew it. You don't just swallow a hole piece of bread without proper chewing, to do so would be dangerous (you could choke on it!). It's easy to swallow the Word without chewing-- but it has dire consequences. It'd be like, as an example, Jesus not going through the Crucifixion and instead before he did, ascending to Heaven. No pain, no gain-- as the saying goes.

Now, chewing the Word is not as easy as one might think. It doesn't taste like some sweet substance-- it's just plain ole' bread-- nothing attractive about it really unless you add butter to it for the most part.

Now our Lord chose a food that is eaten by, from my understanding, nearly ALL peoples of the world. Most people around the world from my understanding eat tortillas.. no yeast too. But also people eat bread with yeast of sorts.

Anyhow, back to the chewing part! Chewing this Word takes patience. And it is painful. One might think, "Ahah! Bread, chewing-- how could that be painful? Folly!"-- but this is the way of our Lord. He's chosen suffering via Himself, the Word-- the Bread. Folly? Maybe to Man's Wisdom-- but to God, no. It appears by most to be trivial, definitely NOT harmful. The world says, "Hah! Just say some words to Jesus friend, for you have no need to worry about the chewing-- swallow and go home satisified!"

For that is what quick swallowing does. It's satisfying. Next time when you take Communion, Chew. Slowly. Don't do it fast. And then the wine...

That's for another day ;-)

Jordan

2007/3/6 1:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy