Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : negative...negative...negative

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
searchin

u.s.a. /

negative...negative...negative

I love this site...but there are times when i notice that most of what is posted tends toward the negative...even harsh a critical...why is that?

It's like the parent who is always pointing out what the kid does wrong and pounding the poor kid in the ground over and over with ..."You aint measuring up, you can't do nothing right..." and very seldom giving an encouraging word!

Notice though i'm not talking about this site...or am i refering to the messages from the many great preachers on sermonindex.net....I'm refering to the folks who post opinions on this thread like the one i just posted.
9 out of 10 at times seems so negative...negative...negative

2007/3/5 11:59Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re: negative...negative...negative

:-(

2007/3/5 12:08Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

I think the admonition needs to be given out to everyone in love:

"Slow to TYPE and be quick to READ."

2007/3/5 12:52Profile

I know I've been accused of being too negative, and perhaps at times I might be... but I think there are a lot of folks here who can tell you that those of us who come across as "negative" also do hand out a lot of encouragement (and at times humor). But the negative tends to come across louder.

But ya know... there isnt a whole lot going on in the church today to be positive about either.

But thank you for pointing this out. I'll take your criticism to heart and see if there is anything I need to do to be more balanced.

Krispy

2007/3/5 12:58
seanjol

Charleston, SC

I think many times there are many saints here who are standing ground on the things that they believe. Sometimes it comes across very poorly. I hope that I can receive and give answers in humility.

Colossians 4:6 says,

Quote:
6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Lord let it be so here and in my life.

Sean

2007/3/5 13:24Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

"If anyone considers humself religious and yet does not keep a [b]tight rein[/b] on his tongue, he decieves himself and his religion is [b]worthless[/b]." -James 1:26

[b]tight rein[/b] - (gr. chalinagogeo - to lead by a bridle, to guide. hold in check, restrain). How many times during our posts do we think of "restraining" ourselves in everything we speak. How mindful are we of controlling our mind and words.

[b]worthless[/b] - (gr. mataios - devoid of force, truth, success or result. vain, useless, to no purpose). This scares me very much that if we allow these forums to carry on like other forums on the internet they will become "worthless" and "vain" in its purpose and there will be no "force" or impact they will have on anyone's life. God forbid!

2007/3/5 14:15Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:

But ya know... there isnt a whole lot going on in the church today to be positive about either.

Yes.. but there is a whole lot going on in the "Church" today that is positive :-) ...I suppose it's not easy to spot out, because it's not mainstream for most part and it is in countries such as Hong Kong/China/South America/places in the US/etc. so I have little way to even verify that-- It's just something I suspect in my Spirit, I could be wrong. (And when I say "whole lot"-- I am referring not to quantitatively but to qualitatively.) However in truth I have no idea what's going on in the Church as a whole in countries around the world-- I have yet to see an Acts-type church.

But there is much to be happy about. God's creation, Jesus, God in general, etc. MUCH! And on the contrary-- much to be sad about.

Being negative is not necessarily bad, it's in what spirit are you negative etc. But there is much to be positive about :-)

Although I'd prefer the word "sad" or "downcast" than "negative."

But most/many of the posts on here are negative-- I sometimes have a hard time telling via simple text what someone's spirit is-- this Internet form of communication can be confusing.

Jordan

2007/3/5 14:38Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:

ahh... yeh... The masses prefer to dwell in the “security” of the predictable and the controllable However, that is the place of darkness.

Is. 60: 1 says:
“See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the people.”

How much more negative can you get! But who can deny the truth of that statement! Indeed, darkness is covering the earth – if we look through our natural eyes.

Thankfully Isaiah was not just a negative guy. He had a bright side to his message:

“Arise, shine, for your light has come,
and the GLORY OF THE LORD rises upon you.” Is. 60:1

That glory is Christ ruling in the hearts of the redeemed – the remnant.

It is dawning on me that if I want to see light in the darkness, I must first let the LIGHT shine in my own heart – that is Christ. I have a responsibility: ‘Arise..” It is only through the eyes of Christ, that I can see his light shine in others. It is not a visible light, but nevertheless, it can be recognized:

“And we with unveiled faces,
all reflect the Lord’s glory,
and are being transformed into his likeness
with ever-increasing glory
which comes from the LORD,
who is the SPIRIT!” 2 Cor. 3:18

“In him was life, and that life was the LIGHT of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood.” Jn. 1:4

I suspect that we will be more able to see flickers of the LIGHT if we change our glasses. After all, it’s all about perspective.

You see, that LIGHT is Christ. Can anything be more positive!

"...fix your thoughts on Jesus.." Heb. 3:1
"...set your heart on things above..." Co. 3:1
"Set your minds on things above, NOT on earthy things." Col. 3:2

Diane

2007/3/5 15:15Profile
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Something to take onboard. There are a lot of negative things creeping into the Church - but to dwell on them is dangerous and very wrong. However, Christians should be aware of such, and flee from them. Thank you for you post.

Philippians 4:8
8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

2007/3/5 15:44Profile
moreofHim

Re: negative

I was just thinking the same thing this weekend- not about the posters on SI, but about myself. I know i am 'bent' more towards being critical (pessemistic, skeptical, negative, and even 'discerning')

I find myself sometimes always looking for what's wrong. I know that in this church age, it is hard to find alot of things that are right or positive- but it's also what you choose to see.

I find that if i am not careful, this critical thinking about the religious system and the church can carry over into my personal life and that is NOT a good thing.

God is still in control. God is still God and He is doing an awesome work not only in His church, but behind the scenes where we have no idea what is going on in someone's life or ministry.

Even preachers like David Wilkerson do not preach all doom and danger all the time. Too much criticism and negativity causes people to lose hope and it does spread like a disease.

Christ is HOPE and LIFE! That is a the most positive message I can think of and we can spread that message. We should be the most joyous people around.

I want to try to look at people and things, giving them the benefit of the doubt first, not looking to nit pick and see what thing I can see wrong with them or with what they've said. No one is perfect. We all fall short in some areas. We all need mercy and grace. God gives us mercy and grace everyday. We should do the same.

Love... is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.- it believes for the best in someone.

I am grateful that God does not treat me the way I have treated others sometimes. I am glad that He does look on me with mercy not with a scowl on his face.

Reminds me of the verse about the harsh taskmaster. He is not a harsh taskmaster and I don't think that we should give the impression to others that He is, do you? (i am talking about the way believers talk to and about each other)

Just my 2 cents for the day :-)

In His grace, Chanin

2007/3/5 16:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy