Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prosperity Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Prosperity Preaching

I'm curious to know what my Brothers and Sisters thoughts are on 'Prosperity preaching'.

I have often heard it said that if one does not drive a certain car, or own expensive items they have no faith. I believe they call it 'making God visible'

My view is that the things worthwhile are treasures that are stored up where nothing can corrupt them. Material items will not be passing through the fire, and well, we can't take them with us!!.

The Lord has been exceedingly generous with my family, and never let us down. I am so thankful that He cares about even the smallest thing that may concern us. What an honour!
Indeed let the poor say I am rich!

Blessings

2007/3/5 7:58Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re: Prosperity Preaching

Basically, I believe it's a bunch of junk.

Imagine preaching the "Properity Message" in Third World Countries. Imagine, standing in front of homeless, starving people, telling them that God wants them to drive nice cars and have big houses...and have lots of money.

Sorry, doesn't cut it. The gospel, and any true Word of God, should be able to be preached anywhere.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

God Bless!

2007/3/5 8:44Profile
Compton

Re:

The prosperity churches in America are the epicenter of a great delusion. Have nothing to do with them except rebuking them. Surely in the near future their vanity will become clear even to the believers caught in their delusion.

In the second century Aristides wrote to the Roman emperor about the Christians...a people who were known to fast 2-3 days to provide food for those who had no food at all.

How patient God is with the modern church...millions of people starve to death, or dies from lack of basic health provisions while hundreds of millions of dollars go to provide media empires for a few powerful ministers.

Do not share in their denial of the Gospel, except to rebuke them out of concern for their souls. And to the saints that are in their churches I think it is appropriate to plead with them to repent of their vanity and come out from among them.

We should call one another to be sober, to walk worthy of the Lord, to be fruitful in every good work. Living accordingly by faith is incompatible with obsession over wealth and self-preservation. The prosperity preachers boast of faith and indeed the just shall live by faith...but not for abiding in earthly comfort while others suffer but abiding in Christ's rich mercy even while the mountains of this world be cast into the sea!

Blessings,

MC

2007/3/5 9:10Profile
Provost

Quote:

joyinjesus8 wrote:

I have often heard it said that if one does not drive a certain car, or own expensive items they have no faith. I believe they call it 'making God visible'

When I hear things like this I think "Well then I guess John the Baptist missed it"
It's such a shallow unbiblical teaching. I am right now reading "Our Sufficiency in Christ" By MacArthur....good stuff

2007/3/5 9:18Profile
seanjol

Charleston, SC

Scripture does not line up with their teaching. They are for the most part heretical in their teachings and besmirch the name of Christ. Their gospel is "another gospel" that will not bring hope to most people in the world but will bring condemnation to most seeking a relationship with Christ because they are poor and destitute. The words of Christ are not spoken by these people.
Mark 10:21

Quote:
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

and Luke 12:33
Quote:
Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

and Luke 18:22
Quote:
Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

and James 5:3 is a harsh rebuke

Quote:
Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.

Rev 3:17-18 is also appropriate

Quote:
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

God I pray you give me your Gold, your white garments and eye salve that I may see your will for my life.

2007/3/5 10:18Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I believe Sentry said it just right. I have a friend who says " how does it preach on the streets of Calcutta or in the Sudan?". Very good questions. If it doesn't preach there it doesn't preach.

I don't want to say however that rich people are exempt from the Kingdom. I believe that there are some (a few) people who God allows to have money so they can be conduits to those in need. In that case the money doesn't have them, God does. These people won't be living in extravagence when other people in the body are suffering. They give out of their abundance so nobody has too much or nobody has too little.

I will tell you one. My brother-in-law is a doctor. He raised his children and adopted three from south america. He gives and gives and lives a modest lifestyle. Nothing fancy. He is a man with abundance that distributes that abundance. He is a true man of God.

2007/3/5 10:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
Scripture does not line up with their teaching

Seeing that scripture is the Authority on everything, lets turn this around... and say [i]their teaching doesnt line up with Scripture.[/i]

Krispy

2007/3/5 10:20
seanjol

Charleston, SC

Re:

Quote:
Scripture does not line up with their teaching

Quote:
Seeing that scripture is the Authority on everything, lets turn this around... and say their teaching doesnt line up with Scripture.

Point taken and I agree. Hastily put together, thanks for the correction.

2007/3/5 10:29Profile
MikeH

Re:

Quote:
Sentry wrote:
Imagine preaching the "Properity Message" in Third World Countries. Imagine, standing in front of homeless, starving people, telling them that God wants them to drive nice cars and have big houses...and have lots of money.

Hmmm, sounds to me that would be a [b]very[/b] appealing message?

Mike

2007/3/5 10:41Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

1 Timothy 6
"Teach and urge these things. 3If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, 7for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs."

I would love for a prosperity teacher to deliver a sermon on these verses.

2007/3/5 10:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy