SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : tattoos?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
markitats

Springdale AR

tattoos?

hey i think i have a pretty good idea of tattoos but i would some responses

2004/3/13 0:48Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re: tattoos?

I personally think that tattoos are one of the most disgusting abominations a human could ever subjected to itself.

Not only is it corrupting the temple of the holy ghost (your body, in fact i have serious misgivings on whether someone who desires a tattoo even HAS the holy ghost), but it is specifically prohibited in the bible, Leviticus 19:28. "No markings on your body, or cuttings in your flesh". I think that's pretty plain.

Okay, so that is the OT. As far as the NT goes, I think the scripture about your body being the temple of the holy ghost, as well as the "come out from among them" scriptures are all very plain in indicating that it is an unspeakable evil.

I think that if someone has the law of God written on their heart, and the spirit of God is in them, then there is no way they could possibly condone (and especially WANT) a tattoo on their body.

Finally, I will just say that when a person receives God, they are a new creature, and tattoos which are now on their body are not seen by God (so long as they do not glory in it). Just as God forgives and forgets sin, I believe he doesn't even see the scars of sin, like Tattoos. And I do completely believe that getting a tattoo is a sin....

My take, God bless!

2004/3/13 2:31Profile
msamiec

Re:

Definitely.

God doesn't want us with tattoos.. he wants us respectable in front of all people. We are the light of the world... are all called to shine the light to everyone else.

God says you are not part of this world. Be not conformed to this world (Romans 12:2).

You're also right... Deuteronomy says it is displeasing to God. God doesn't change... if something disgusted him 4000 years ago, it still disgusts him now.

We are to present our bodies a living sacrifice to God, which is our reasonable service, because we are bought with a hefty price - the blood of Jesus! (1Corinthians 6:20)

2004/3/15 2:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: tattoos?

Tattoos were prohibited in the Old Covenant although some piercings were clearly allowed [Ezek 16:12] and occasionally commanded [Ex 21:6]. I have never been able to understand why anyone would want to have a tattoo so I don't judge those who have had them.

For those who have them and don't know what they should do about them I offer a thought or two. Many of the early Christians carried the names of heathen gods; Mark, Apollos, Junia, Epaphroditus, Narcissus, Hermes,which they never abandoned. Sometimes we carry the marks of our past with us; it may be that the mark of your past will be a means of touching another life. It may offend some folks from a solid evangelical background but unless the tattoo is really offensive or you really want to get rid of it, my suggestion would be leave it alone.

just my thoughts...

2004/3/15 4:25Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
It may offend some folks from a solid evangelical background but unless the tattoo is really offensive or you really want to get rid of it, my suggestion would be leave it alone.

I have to agree with this Ron.
Quote:
it may be that the mark of your past will be a means of touching another life.

I have a tattoo of a silly comic strip character,
'Bill the Cat' who had a vocabulary of approximately two words "Ack!" and "Phhhbbtt" which only goes to prove.....not much, other than I haven't progressed much farther in my own lexicon. ;-)

But hopefully this is one that we all have:

2Co 3:2 Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;
2Co 3:3 being made manifest that ye are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in tables that are hearts of flesh.

2004/3/15 7:47Profile
5nva

Re:

I am certainly in agreement that Christians should not 'get' tatoos. I do have a tattooo though. I got my tattoo before I was saved when I was in the military. Hey an unsaved, navy man, what do you expect.

Anyway, I don't think God expects anyone to have a tattoo removed after they become a Christian but to get a tattoo after one give his life and heart to Christ is a big NO. I believe getting a tattoo after becoming a Christian is to sin against and grieve out Lord and Savior. We are temples of the Holy Ghost and our lives are not our own.

I am unsure though of using Lev. 19:28 as the clear cut answer. The reason I am unsure is that the verse before it says not to round off the side growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. We are guilty men even after becoming a Christian. Just a thought.

Clinging to Jesus,

Mike

2004/3/15 8:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Communication is a fascinating phenomena. I knew I would be able to communicate with you the moment I saw 'Hobbes'. I did wonder whether your choice of 'Calvin's nemesis' had a theological thrust, but I knew that anyone who appreciates Calvin and Hobbes was going to be easy to talk to. Who knows how God may use your tattoo. If know I saw a couple of folks preaching on a street corner and I wanted to ask some questions I might be more drawn to the guy with the 'Billy the Cat' tattoo that to the guy with the biggest bible. But as I have warned you, I am a congenital non-conformist.

2004/3/15 10:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

hi 5nva
you wrote I am unsure though of using Lev. 19:28 as the clear cut answer. The reason I am unsure is that the verse before it says not to round off the side growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. We are guilty men even after becoming a Christian. Just a thought.

[color=0000FF]For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.[/color] Hebrews 7:12. The principles of the moral law are unchanged but the details have long passed their 'sell by' date.

2004/3/15 10:21Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

:-D

Ah, thanks Ron it's a mutual admiration

For what it's worth I stumbled across the actual image that is now affixed to my flesh (minus the rock) it is, going from left to right the fifth picture or the first in the second row.

[url=http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Bill+the+Cat&sa=N&tab=wi]http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Bill+the+Cat&sa=N&tab=wi[/url]

Edit:[url=http://www.buzzstuff.net/archives/bill-thumb.gif]http://www.buzzstuff.net/archives/bill-thumb.gif[/url]

Yes, it was folly, at that time I thought it 'fit' my personality. Actually it still does :-) But to go subject myself to the equivelant of running your arm under a sewing machine for an hour and half...no thanks, there are other reasons attached to why the Lord wouldn't have us mark ourselves up...

The 'old' strip is now back, sort of. Originally entitled "Bloom County" and then morphed into "Outland" it has been brought back to life under "Opus" in some newspapers.

An oldie
[url=http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/favorite_strips.html]Hare Krishnas[/url]

Now if we could just convince Mr. Watterson to bring back Calvin....

P.S. You are the kindest Rebel I know ;-)

2004/3/15 13:25Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

What about ear piercings for earrings? (And by extension, tongue piercing, nose piercing, etc.?)

2004/3/15 16:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy