SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : YWAM

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
Elowel

Re:

Quote:
I first noticed you in the ‘Finney’s Conversion’ thread and it seemed that you were lovingly adamant that you were right and Finney was wrong. (Never mind that upwards of a half a million people gave their lives to the Lord during his ministry!)

I don't trust that to be a legitimate statistic, but this is not the place for us to discuss Finney. (:

Quote:
And then in this thread, you have the sound wisdom links about YWAM!!

Ah, you mean I link to the same YouTube channel, I see.

Quote:
Brother, I have no idea what religion you are, that is why I openly asked. I don’t ask questions to set people up only to clobber them with it later. I asked because I wanted to know what theology or perspective you were coming from so I could try to understand you more.

I'm sorry. Please forgive me, I think in my heart that I may be defensive and I probably did think that you were going to do something like set me up and clobber me, even though that seems foolish. I desire to be transparent.

This isn't an excuse, but I've become somewhat irritated after the previous discussion regarding Finney because I was so put off by the fact several individuals gave the impression I was some Calvinistic ogre trying to impose my doctrine on everyone else when, in my own eyes, I am the VERY FIRST PERSON to denounce such conflicts.

Actually, why don't I make this clear now?

When I hear the word "Calvinist," I think "Brother."
When I hear the word "Arminian," I think "Brother."
When I hear the word "Puritan," I think "Brother."
When I hear the word "Baptist," I think "Brother."
When I hear the word "Lutheran," I think "Brother."

That goes for "Methodist," "Mennonite," "Presbyterian," and every other strange creature out there. If you know God, and if I know God, that makes us siblings in Christ.

Does that mean I don't have my own personal beliefs on topics like predestination vs. free will? No, I do have my own strong beliefs and I do think they make a significant difference and play a role in how we live our lives, and when and where it is appropriate, I will express my views and disagree with strong conviction.

I would call myself Reformed, which I just think is a cooler way of saying Protestant. Look, another link! (:
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/what_is_reformed_theology/introduction-3203/

That's not truly specific, however. Honestly (what a silly thing to say. What, as if I'm not being honest elsewhere?), I'm not sure what denomination I would put myself in. Am I Baptist? Am I Presbyterian? Maybe, I just don't know it yet. Just call me Reformed at this point.

The reason I cringe when other people call me Calvinist is because it's such a loaded term at this point that I don't understand how they define that word. When they say "Calvinist," do they think I hold to the five-points AKA TULIP? Or do they merely use the term Calvinist to describe ANYBODY who believes in predestination? Or is there something else to it?

If you were to call me a Calvinist in the sense that I believe in five-points and that's it, I would disagree. First off, because I'm not sure if I agree with some of those points or how they are worded.

I recall some individual in the Finney topic who gave the impression that I was implying that I didn't believe people were going to be saved because they didn't believe in some five-points. I'm not going to go back and see who it was, that's just what I remember. That just reveals THEIR own assumptions as to what I believed and it's an insult to true Calvinists.

Just like the way "Arminian" is such a loaded term. When people use it in conversation, do they mean Arminian in a classic sense, like Wesley? There are people out there who think Arminians are all unregenerate heretics who will see Hell by the way they define Arminians, but actually, they're thinking about Pelagianism/Semi-Pelagianism (which, by the historic definition, is a truly damnable heresy).

I express that I'm a bit bothered when you ask me what religion I am as opposed to what denomination, or what doctrinal background I'm from. I'm assuming everyone here at Sermon Index believes in the God of the Bible and that Jesus Christ died for their sins (they might word it differently, but I'm assuming everyone here holds to the same essential tenets of faith that make the difference between someone who's in Christ and someone who's not in Christ). Haha, if I'm wrong, then somebody PLEASE tell me.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this! I hope this is edifying to you and may this be glorifying to God.

2011/3/18 23:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy