SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Man sues Salvation Army in religious discrimination

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofadam777

Rochester, New York

Man sues Salvation Army in religious discrimination

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/117256809131630.xml&coll=2

Man sues Salvation Army in religious discrimination
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
VAL WALTON
News staff writer

An Anniston man has filed a federal lawsuit against the Salvation Army, contending he was illegally passed over for a position because he is Catholic.

The suit filed on behalf of Anthony J. Clark contends he sought a social work opening in spring 2005 after already having worked for the Salvation Army for almost two years.

The Salvation Army is a charity that operates as an evangelical effort of Christians. Its Web site says its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs without discrimination.

Salvation Army officials in Anniston declined comment and referred calls to the organization's Jackson, Miss., office.

Mark Jones, a spokesman for the Salvation Army Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi divisional headquarters, said it's the organization's policy not to comment on personnel matters.

The suit said Clark sent a letter to his supervisor on May 17, expressing his interest in filling the position in Anniston. Clark, the suit said, had worked as a part-time social worker from November 2003 to December 2003. He subsequently worked full-time from January 2004 to May 2004 because of another worker's illness.

The suit said despite having three letters of recommendation, another person who had only part-time seasonal experience was hired when a full-time position came open.

The lawsuit said when Clark asked why he wasn't hired, his supervisor, Maj. Larry Hambrick, replied he was not a practicing Christian.

When asked if he was a Christian, Clark said he was a Catholic and was then informed that was why he was not selected for the position, according to the lawsuit. The lawsuit said Clark complained to the Salvation Army's national headquarters, and left the organization on Aug. 19, 2005.

Birmingham lawyer John Saxon called the Salvation Army a wonderful organization that does faith-related work. But Saxon said the social work position was a non-ministerial position.

"They are not exempt from civil rights laws," Saxon said.

E-mail: [email protected]

2007/2/27 12:02Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Man sues Salvation Army in religious discrimination

Wasn't there a verse in the bible about not taking other believers to court -I think that would be applicable here. Maybe someone should tell him.

2007/2/27 12:04Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I think that would be applicable here.

Hardly. I doubt that Catholic man is saved. God help us with our midset of having to treat all men as they are untouchable and that we cannot disern by their fruits if they are saved or not. What has happened to discernment in Christians?

2007/2/27 13:17Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I should have put my [sarcasm] markers around it [/sarcasm].

Of course this sheds light on the lack of biblical understanding of these people -although we see this in protestant churches as well.

2007/2/27 13:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy