SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I've been to a few "christian" rock shows

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

The O.C. Supertones - One Voice

1999 and the stakes is high.
Our options have come down
to either we do or we die.
We need You now more than ever.
Pull out all of the strife in the church,
get us together.
Is time running out?
I can't say I do know.
We have one day less
than we did yesterday.
So it's up to us to unite,
You wanna fight the power?
You need the power to fight.

[b]And can we sing with one voice,
if we all love the same God?[/b]
Can we agree to disagree?
And so we cry with one voice
to the only God in all the universe-
who holds us in His hands.

No more time
for us to bicker and complain,
If we're called by the same name,
there's nowhere for us to lay the blame,
except for ourselves.
And if we died to our old selves
we've come alive as God's flesh,
that makes us family.
Deeper than death,
but we don't act so tight
when there's a back to bite.
[b]Are we less like a family, and
more like a fistfight?[/b]
Are we there, but not quite
are hypocrites children of light?

2007/3/2 2:03Profile
divdasunder

Ohio

Re:

My reason for posting this thread in the first place was not for an argument to break out. As I said in my first post, there are good bands out there. My reason for posting was to share a small portion of my testimony about some of the shows I have been to. The book of Proverbs says that "Only with pride comes contention". It seems that arguments are breaking out to prove that each person is right. God is dealing with me on the issue of music. Does it mean He is dealing with you, not exactly. Please, we need to stop arguing. While we sit here arguing how many people die and go to hell? There are more important things to do.
God Bless

2007/3/2 5:43Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re: This is a fascinating little thread.

I know we've all gone over this before. I just find it fascinating. Evidently, the intent with which we discuss this topic goes to show us how much this and the last generation loves music.

The utterly contentious part of all this is how much emphasis we push on music where little else is necessarily involved. I mean, honestly!

That and we're not understanding what is being written. We claim to understand the complex, people-oriented and psychologically charged writings of St. Paul but we bicker over lyrics and positions of bands to which their primary point is necessarily positive.

Do you think Christ ever sat down at a table and just talked with somebody for forty minutes or so? I would bet so. In fact, I bet there were times he just sat places listening to people. When he was a young lad at the temple, he challenged doctors and rabbis with his reasoning prowess.... wait, that was intellectualism in place of evangelism? My God, where did we go wrong?

Quote:
John173 wrote:
This only serves to confirm my suspicions
That I'm still a man in need of a Saviour
As for me, I've already got a savior...

What I find utterly incomprehensible, Doug, is quite honestly how you see this as a starting point rather than a continuation of necessity. I still need a saviour, do you? I sure hope so. Does that make a difference? Just to be more blunt, do you think DC Talk thinks the lyrics portray the necessity of starting a relationship with Christ or continuing one?

If something is poetic, is the necessity in the content or in the point of it?

There is so little critical thinking going on it is astounding me.

I'm in band. We're playing pieces which have little to nothing to do with evangelical purposes. Its just about forty of us with various instruments playing. Is this a bad thing? There aren't horrid lyrics to get in the way, save for a few bits of Latin here and there. Should I set down and burn all the brass?

My advice: Let truth lay where it lay. Truth is of God, and I will be hard pressed to believe that God is so selfish as to only allow those who profess faith in him to possess it. In fact I would probably say that such a statement is the bastard pride of the Church in all its glorious failings. Yet, for some odd reason, we hold to it like it were a suckling child. If truth be truth, then we may learn of it where it is!

Oh, a daring statement that was.

2007/3/2 6:33Profile

Re:

In an interview with Tony Cummings on February 21, Toby Mac, formerly with the popular CCM band DC Talk, said his first LP was Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic." He said: "I love rock and roll. I grew up listening to not only Run DMC, Beastie Boys and others but I also listened to The Police. My first LP was Aerosmith's 'Toys In The Attic.' That was the first LP I was ever given as a kid. I got it for my 12th birthday or something like that. So you know, I'm into that. But for me, my heart is in hip-hop, especially expressive forms of hip-hop." It has often been warned that CCM is not separated from wicked secular rock & roll, and this is yet another example. It is unconscionable for a CCM "artist" who influences Christian young people to pretend that Aerosmith's music is safe and acceptable. Aerosmith, the top American hard-rock band of the mid-Seventies, often sing about immoral themes in songs that were too dirty to describe. Lead singer Steven Tyler looked almost like a woman on stage, with his long hair, leotards, feminine blouses, and jewelry. Aerosmith's song "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)" glorifies bisexuality. Aerosmith concerts feature "liberal use of obscenities." Aerosmith considered adding a feature to their web site that would have allowed visitors to "watch each other on the screen having sex acts" ("Push 'play' for Vintage Aerosmith," USA Today, March 20, 2001, D2). 'Walk this Way' is about a teenage boy having sex for the first time and engaging in group sex. ...

He saved me and gave me strength to turn my back on this filth and repudiate it. That doesn't make me any better than Toby Mac in human terms, but I did it to please God not myself or men. Apparently Toby has never repented of his own Aerosmith sin nor did he take this opportunity to repudiate Aerosmith. Instead he honors them and tells us he is 'still into it'.

Has no one any fear at all of our Holy God?

Krispy

2007/3/2 7:27
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Joh 8:7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."

Quote:
KrispyKritter wrote:
He saved me and gave me strength to turn my back on this filth and repudiate it. That doesn't make me any better than Toby Mac in human terms, but I did it to please God not myself or men. Apparently Toby has never repented of his own Aerosmith sin nor did he take this opportunity to repudiate Aerosmith. Instead he honors them and tells us he is 'still into it'.

I'm gonna say it flat out, if you've been there, you have no reason to condemn others for it. Well, I never have been into hard rock, and the ability for me to say I was ever "into" pop is a little loose. I've always avoided hip-hop, rap and the like. Yet I cannot say flippantly that affections for such destroy utterly any chance the soul of a man might have to honor God, musically or otherwise.

Music follows course, all music is culturally based. If music can be of the LORD in any fashion, then a consideration of its construction is most definitely necessary. Be it Aerosmith or otherwise.

The wont to steer others away from it is fine, and I really have no problem with that. However, I am pretty dang sure there is a boundary being hopped here which is a lot looser than that.

2007/3/2 9:03Profile

Re:

I'v been there, and because I've lived the life and seen the destruction first hand I think that more than qualifies me to speak against it.

Again, I'm not speaking against musical styles... I'm speaking about a man (Toby Mac) who has considerable influence over young people in the church who has promoted thru his words (whether he intended to or not) Aerosmith, RunDMC and the Beastie Boys to the Christian youth. That is irresponsible.

Even those who have argued vehemently for Christian rock on this forum has said that they forsook secular rock... and no one here has even come close to endorsing secular rock... but here is one of the most popular artists in Christian rock saying that he enjoys secular rock. And mentions 3 of the most perverse and debauched groups.

Now... tell me where I'm wrong on this.

I dont really have anything against Toby Mac, and in fact I like some of his music... and I dont normally like hip-hop. But his statements reveal quite a bit.

Stating that "he who is without sin cast the first stone" against what I have said here is a complete wrenching of scripture. Thats like the chronic misunderstanding and misapplication of "judge not lest ye be judged".

Not only does my past life more than qualify me to speak against such foolishness... the fact that I have children who the church says they should look up to people like Toby Mac makes me qualified.

I dont have a problem with being rebuked if it's needed, but in this case I have to respectfully reject your rebuke, my brother... because I'm not wrong on this.

There is no fear of God anymore.

Krispy

2007/3/2 9:29

Re: throwing stones

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I'v been there, and because I've lived the life and seen the destruction first hand I think that more than qualifies me to speak against it.

Again, I'm not speaking against musical styles... I'm speaking about a man (Toby Mac) who has considerable influence over young people in the church who has promoted thru his words (whether he intended to or not) Aerosmith, RunDMC and the Beastie Boys to the Christian youth. That is irresponsible.

Even those who have argued vehemently for Christian rock on this forum has said that they forsook secular rock... and no one here has even come close to endorsing secular rock... but here is one of the most popular artists in Christian rock saying that he enjoys secular rock. And mentions 3 of the most perverse and debauched groups.

Now... tell me where I'm wrong on this.

I dont really have anything against Toby Mac, and in fact I like some of his music... and I dont normally like hip-hop. But his statements reveal quite a bit.

Stating that "he who is without sin cast the first stone" against what I have said here is a complete wrenching of scripture. Thats like the chronic misunderstanding and misapplication of "judge not lest ye be judged".

Not only does my past life more than qualify me to speak against such foolishness... the fact that I have children who the church says they should look up to people like Toby Mac makes me qualified.

I dont have a problem with being rebuked if it's needed, but in this case I have to respectfully reject your rebuke, my brother... because I'm not wrong on this.

There is no fear of God anymore.

Krispy

Jesus didn't [i]condone[/i] the behaviour of the woman caught in adultery when He said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". He didn't condemn [i]her[/i] as an individual, but did say "Go [b]and sin no more[/b]"

But how would Jesus have reacted if the woman tried to defend herself by saying that adultery is OK?

I don't get the impression Krispy is "throwing stones" but merely seeking to speak truth in a gracious but firm way. Evil is evil, and Krispy does seem to be abundantly qualified to discern in this particular area.

If we instead seek to stone someone for "judging", the stones may fall back on our own head :-(

Jeannette

2007/3/2 12:26
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

For Krispy's peace of mind, I will restate my opinion on the issue, as it would appear that everyone thinks I believe one thing about this stuff when it is just not true.

Ok, here's the deal, I like rock music, I also like almost all other styles, minus country, polka and mariachi.

I believe in listening to any music, the number one concern is the spirit in the music. There are many Christian bands who write music that the words sound good, the music sounds good, but there is just something wrong with the song.

I believe that having that first concern will cause anyone to research a bands lyrics, and observe them for a while before making a final decision on them.

I believe that in the area of clothes that the bands wear, there is a lot of bad judgment by the bands themselves on what they should and should not wear. i.e. The hardcore scene wears girls jeans. They look like homosexuals because of it. And as Krispy mentioned, there are sometimes when the women dress a little inappropriate. Overall I think that their dress is fairly well sanctioned, as they know that there will be repercussions for anything that is too out of line.

I do believe that there is a major problem with bands tring to look so much like the world, that some of them do arrive, and then become the world. They are entangled once again in its snare.

I do not believe that using the rock music to draw a crowd, or a group of young people so that preaching can be done is in any way wrong. It is no different than marching through a street playing loud music and then preaching later.

2007/3/2 12:38Profile

Re:

Ben... for once you are making some sense. :-)

I dont disagree with what you have said.

Quote:
For Krispy's peace of mind

Thank you thank you thank you...! Now I can finally get some sleep tonight.

Krispy

2007/3/2 12:57
roadsign

Re:

Just wondering, John (Jamccor)if you have any thoughts on my response to your post back a page or so. Am I tracking with you? 8-)

(I'll repost some of it)
Diane

You asked:

Quote:
Does this mean that maybe I am keeping one foot in the door of the world?
Tell it to me straight,am I playing with fire?

I responded
I think you answer your own question:
Quote:

I am still driven to listen to all the music
[and]
the temptation is there.

Of course, it’s not for me to tell you to burn your CD’s, and delete your files. After all the place to deal with idols is in the heart. And, absolutely anything can become an idol, even nice Christian music. Ian makes a good point:
Quote:

we don't tell someone who has an idol of materialism to burn all our posessions, we tell them to give them away -because not everyone has an idol of materialism.

It’s in the heart where things become idols. So it’s in your heart where you must abolish your music, if that has become an idol. In fact, you can burn all your music, and still long for them more than your Lord. Can you easily let go of your music? Is God enough for you? He may very well test your loyalty by requiring you to remove it all. Just let him guide. He certainly can. He has done so in my life, that’s for sure! He once called me to burn a bunch of nostalgic stuff. So I did.

These words to a hymn may speak to you:

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in his wonderful face,
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of his glory and grace.”

Invest your life in the Lord; dig into the Word - and the music will amazingly lose its appeal. God is sooooooo much better!!!

All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing you, Jesus

2007/3/2 13:21Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy