SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Acquire the fire. Acquire WHAT fire?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Acquire the fire. Acquire WHAT fire?

Saints,

This post may reveal my age :-o

Last weekend, some youth from our church went to see the popular "Acquire the Fire" down in San Antonio. I don't really know anything about ATF, other than it's some sort of travelling rally geared to "fire up" youth group kids. One of the girls (my niece) came back seemingly impacted and even "signed up" to go on a remote missionary trip come summer. Of course, knowing me, I am instantly wary of anything that purposes to instill a kind of "fire" in people that are plainly destitute of holiness and self-denial. Many of the kids are now talking about missions and other radical stuff, but it remains to be seen what the long term results will be. I sat in youth group yesterday and just listened. There was a lot of talk about signs and wonders, testimonies of miracles, awesome preaching, awesome worship bands, etc. The stuff you always seem to hear about at these types of functions.

Brethren, I have become so disillusioned by fireshows and rallies and spectacular feats of power-evangelism that, in the long run, only seem to stir the outward, soulish morale without instilling a supernatural transformation inwardly. I believe this inward transformation will become apparent to everyone when a kid is truly touched by God and genuinely repents.

How is it possible for a group like this to have missionary "sign-up sheets" outside the stadium for young kids to travel to Africa! Oh, woe unto us if a dazzling lightshow brought a child to make this decision.

I understand I am being skeptical. I really don't know anything about Ron Luce and ATF other than what I've heard from others. Am I being too unreasonable here? Are any of you familiar with this organization?

Brother Paul

2007/2/26 9:56Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Acquire the fire. Acquire WHAT fire?

Last year the youth minister at my church took seven kids to an ATF event. The three unsaved went forward and “got saved”. They no longer attend our church…or any other.

I have no other information on ATF.

Emotionalism is very dangerous and hard for youth to discern.

God bless

TJ

2007/2/26 10:15Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

http://web.mac.com/nisaac2001/iWeb/YOF/Acquire%20The%20Fire_files/DSCF9928.jpg

Here is an image of a band named "Skillet" that perfoms at these types of rallies. I look at this, and I want to weep. How did Satan ever infiltrate? If this is a sampling of the "fire" that is yet to be "acquired"...God help us.

Oh, what has happened to the glorious hymns of Wesley and Watts? Is this the fruit that provokes one to a life of holiness and humility?

2007/2/26 10:18Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Never mind your age, I'm old too, I'm 44.

I don't know about this group, I don't know if they have a website, so I'm just going by what you have said in your post.

First, what and whose 'fire' are the youth supposed to be acquiring?

If they are not being specific, and just using the correct cliche to stir up feelings and emotions, then they need to be tested in the light of God's word.

Most western children are too spineless to go on a mission trip to another western nation, let alone Africa.

And will the parents be going too? If not, why not?

Who would let their children just go to a foreign nation with someone they do not know that well, or for very long, just as long as that person happens to mention Jesus?

I wouldn't let my children go.

Once the zeal of the rally has gone, and it will go, what is left?

Unfortunately, I'm a sceptic too, as if you can't tell!

So, maybe someone less biased than myself can comment.

But for me, I wouldn't waste my time with them.

God bless.

2007/2/26 10:22Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

http://web.mac.com/nisaac2001/iWeb/YOF/Acquire%20The%20Fire_files/DSCF0038.jpg

Some girls meeting with a humble "worship" band after the rally.

2007/2/26 10:43Profile

No worries about age.

I'm 18 and have always been skeptical of Acquire the Fire's events.

Though I myself have never gone, I've known many people around my age that have gone to their rallies and I have seen no fruit. I've seen what looks like fruit, but it's fruit that lasts about three days but then whithers and dies. Can one even call that fruit? I've seen no lasting difference; I've seen no depth.

As for acquiring a fire...
I can think of two sorts of fire: the fire of God and the fires of hell.
But for now I'll leave that thought alone.

2007/2/26 10:51
xMicahx

NC

Re:

I went to Aquire the Fire when I was a junior in high school. I'm also going to have to jump on the skeptical boat. I don't remember the Lord doing anything in my heart, and I saw no change in anyone from my youth group that attended. The whole thing was very media oriented, videos of some evil plot and its distruction. I really didn't understand it. I don't remember any of the speakers, only the bands. When it was time to get right with Jesus they played "This is the Air I Breathe" for about 30 mins. That basically ruined that song for me. That's about all I remember though...I do remember being discuraged the following week because I had expected for the Lord to set my heart ablase during the gathering. But, I felt just as dead as before. Praise God He changed me since then and set a standard in my heart.

I'm sure the Lord does work in the hearts of some teens through ATF. He's a huge God and can use anything. And I know there has been some genuine decisions for Christ for His Glory. So praise God. We just have to pray that the Spirit of the Lord would fall on those kids during ATF and they see how Holy God is, how He deserves glory, how sinful they really are, and how much they need Christ. No because of the music, not because of the skits, dramas, lights, media, or speakers. But because of the Lord and the Holy Spirit moving in and around them.

2007/2/26 11:24Profile
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Unreasonable--NO
Wise--YES.

We must exercise caution and give sound advice where children/teens are concerned. Many of these kind of rallies are nothing more than emotional boosters that prey on the unsuspecting. I have seen no real change in others who have gone to events like this one. Prayer and suplication are certainly in order for protection.

2007/2/26 11:28Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Ok guys, I am 20, I have not personally been to ATF, but I have about thirty friends who have been.

I questioned them about it to see if it was worth going to or not, (because I wanted to go myself) and without a doubt, they would tell me that God broke in upon them and seriously touched them. They would say that if it were not for ATF, they might no be serving God right now.

[b][color=CC0000]Ok, to the person who trashed Skillet I have some questions for you:

1.Have you ever been to a Skillet concert?

2.Have you ever read the words to songs written by Skillet?

3. Have you ever personally met the band members and spoken to them?[/color][/b]

[b]Well I have, and you are completely out of place in what you said. If it had been almost any other band, I might have been less annoyed by the ignorance.

Skillet is one band, that I have spent time pouring over their lyrics because they contain more scripture than many preachers sermons do.

They are not self seeking, self centered, or greedy like the contemporary worship circle is. They are a hundred percent genuine in their walk before the Lord.

Just because you don't understand our culture, does not give you the right to say it is wrong.[/b]

2007/2/26 11:37Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Just because a band has verses in their songs does not mean they are walking in Him. There are a lot of religouse/hypocrites using God's word.

You do not have to meet a group to know if they are of the Lord or not. You can listen and look at the prosperity preachers and know what they are all about. Just like you can look at the many christian rock groups and know if it is all about getting glory for God or for THEM. God gives us discernment that we may judge righteosly, to protect us from wolves, liars, thiefs, from falling in delusion, but many christians are only partaking in milk that they cannot discern. Many are still inlove with the world that they fall easily to delusion.

The cool videos, posters, rock clothes, luscious lifestyle just SCREAMS its ALL about ME and the love of the world. The Word tells us not to love the world, to dress modest, and meek. Many rock groups are encouraging the youth to do totally the opposite.

I've been to my share of christian rock concerts. Friends took me to them right after I got saved. 2 was enough for me! I was young in the Lord then, but even as a new christian, I knew that this was not from God, but the world. Too much like the world and SELF was very strong! After the Delirouse concert, I wanted to puke! After that concert, I made up my mind that I will never support such groups that uses the name of Jesus for their own glory and fame, cashing in on God's word.

Alot of christian rock bands use Jesus name for THEIR FAME. It is very obviouse.

2007/2/26 12:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy