SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Devil's Schemes

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

The Devil's Schemes

I recently watched a W5 show about some villains who had wormed their way into certain evangelical churches, portraying themselves as devout Christians. They claimed to be successful businessmen, and managed to convince naive church members to invest their savings with them, promising attractive returns. By the time the scams were discovered, those church members realized that they would never see any of their money again.

The show included an interview with one of the victims. She acknowledged that she was fleeced by a “wolf in sheep’s clothing”. She also admitted that he was a convincing man, and his offer was attractive to her.

Apparently this problem is growing in alarming rates. Church members will be getting fleeced more and more as these wolves infiltrate congregations – steeling millions of dollars. And they are rarely getting caught.

The lady who was interviewed felt that the lack of lawsuits against these criminals made it easy for them to get away with it. She basically implied that they are not deterred because so many of the victims follow Jesus’ teachings against suing.

However, Jesus taught against suing because it is just another kind of sword. It can’t conquer evil. He offers us a much far better defense.

Something grieved me as I was watching that show. It seemed that none of the church members interviewed were aware that Jesus has offered the perfect defense against the evil one. And they didn’t seem aware that they had failed to apply it.

Sadly many, many Christian folk today, like those on the W5 show are not prepared for the day of evil, because they are not taking seriously these words in Ephesians 6 and other scriptures.

“Therefore put on the full armor of God,
so that when the day of evil comes,
you may be able to stand your ground,
and after you have done everything,
to stand.” Eph. 6:13

Cont’d…

Diane

2007/2/26 8:24Profile
kathyclark

Alabama

Re: The Devil's Schemes

I find this very interesting. My husband and I own a restaurant and the other day a man came in that was all slick looking sporting a big cross and a impatient attitude about being seated. He had some kind of paperwork with him and was waiting for someone. A bit later a middle-aged lady came in and joined him.

Somewhere in the middle of their dinner he went out and had a cigarette, something about him bothered me. I mentioned this to a christian waitress that works for me and she said he was in the night before with another woman.

As they got ready to leave he paid and said a big God bless you to me. Something about him spoke snake to me.

I believe that this may just be the kind of Charlatan you are talking about. I will say that we as Christians need to look beyond a pretty face and see what God is speaking to our hearts. I felt yicky the moment he stepped through the door. His God bless you didn't change my mind, the cross even seemed a fake being worn by him. We need to heed the nudgings of the Holy Spirit.

Thanks for sharing this post. I really wasn't aware this was happening that much.

2007/2/26 8:52Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Why do we have to simply trust everyone who walks through a church door?

If someone walks in talking money and investments all the time, steer clear of them.

If we trusted God like we 'trusted' these scamsters, we would think twice before investing.

If they are going to question us, why shouldn't we question them?

If you don't trust them, tell them so, and tell others, and tell them that you will tell others.

If they realised they have been 'caught', they will leave.

Even so, we should 'invest' our money in the kingdom of God, where moth and rust do not corrupt.

For me, it seems wrong to invest in yourself, kind of selfish.

I'm not talking about saving a little money for emergencies, I'm talking about using the money God has given us to 'secure' our future.

Perhaps because of Luke 12v16-21 which speaks of the rich man who was doing well, ready to make bigger barns, and God said to him, 'Fool, this night your soul will be required of you, then whose will those things be which you have provided?

Also, we say we are investing for our children?

Well, who has taken care of them all these years, you or God?

We are just the stewards of what God has given us.

Still, we have to gravitate toward that which our conscience tells us to.

As long as it is in line with the word of God, our conscience should be clear.

God bless.

2007/2/26 9:13Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Quote:
Sadly many, many Christian folk today, like those on the W5 show are not prepared for the day of evil, because they are not taking seriously these words in Ephesians 6 and other scriptures.

Very true. I guess that’s what makes it so sad. Many today do not take the scriptures seriously, but they will defend some authors view point like it’s the Gospel.

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Peace be with you

TJ

2007/2/26 9:24Profile
Revolution34

Cardiff, South Wales

Unfortunatley this is a very real problem. I remember my mother in law was being fleeced by her former Pastor a disgraced preacher who would travel around trying to leach his former members and asking for funds to begin his "new ministy". She knew she was beeing ripped off but had a mentality about it like he is the man of God and I will be blessed eventually. He only stopped coming around after I opened the door and he saw me and discovered she wasnt some poor old lady on her own. I feel that the strength of this vile activity comes via the growing inbalanced doctrine of "Wealth and Prosperity" it has bred a christianty of the quick buck, people feel their faith level is low if their not making money fast as they hear it preached on TV. The charlatans wolves are licking their lips becasue they now know that the its open season on the prosperity deluded church folks. When the chruch learns contentment and walking in the will of God and can stomach doses of reality preaching sacrifice as well as blessing,witnessing as well as receiving, praying as well as believing than maybe this will stop.

2007/2/26 13:09Profile
roadsign

Re:

Rev’s comment hits close to source of the problem and the solution:

Quote:
When the chruch learns contentment and walking in the will of God

It is tempting to focus on the VISIBLE enemy – like the wolves in these churches. But I’d like to suggest that such a focus may actually lure us even further away from the Lord. And THAT is my real concern, as I pointed out:

Quote:
It seemed that none of the church members interviewed were aware that Jesus has offered the perfect defence against the evil one. And they didn’t seem aware that they had failed to apply it.

The issue that concerns us does not reside in our visible enemies, but in our hearts – the only place where the invisible enemy can either gain ground or be resisted:

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
but against the rulers,
against the authorities,
against the powers of this dark world
and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

This verse tells us who is NOT our enemy - that is, who we do NOT struggle against. It is NOT flesh and blood people. Our enemy is not the greedy politician, the terrorist, the controlling employer, or the dishonest neighbor. It is not the rebellious teenager or the obstinate spouse.
It is not the wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Our enemy is invisible! It is made of spiritual forces of evil that rule in the unseen world. Our enemy is comprised of supernatural powers of a dark world.

Recognizing our real enemy makes all the difference in the world, when it comes to choosing our strategies.

The purpose of this thread is to understand our real enemy, and learn how to be prepared for the day of evil - that is, when unexpected threats or appealing temptations come our way.

What does Scripture teach us?
What are some of the temptations we face?

Cont’d..
Diane

2007/2/26 14:12Profile
Dan777

Re:

We really need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. He is our helper, guide, etc..

For example: When little Ben Ownby got kidnapped a while back. As soon I heard out it, I started praying for him. I had not prayed more than 30 seconds, when I got an overwhelming sense of joy and peace about him. I felt guilty about it. Ben could have been fighting for his life, and I was at the point of laughing about the whole thing. I knew it was the Holy Spirit telling me that, Ben was going to be fine.

There are other times though when I had an overwhelming sense of apprehension about doing certain a thing. That was the Holy Spirit telling not to do it.

If we tune into our hearts and listen, the Holy Spirit will tell us what to do and what not to do. Apply the Holy Spirit guidance to every area and decision in your life, and you will not be scammed by anyone, and succeed at everything.

Dan

2007/2/26 18:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy