SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Servival of the Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

The Servival of the Revival

I had some thoughts I wanted to share this morning concerning the servival of revival on a personal and corporate level. I was thinking of the passage about mounting up with wings as eagles (Isaiah 40:31). Behind my little house on the river in Warsaw MO. there are bald eagles nests. One thing I notice about them is that they do a lot of soaring when they take to the air. I can never recall seeing an eagle walking every where it went. It can cover in seconds mounted on wings what took minutes or hours on its little legs. It is also highly vulnerable when walking around (if they ever do such a thing).

My point is this, as Christians we too often live our life so bogged down with weights that we "CAN'T get our Christian lives into the air." We are driving our little prop plane to work (as it were) turning down the streets and into the driveways honking the horn, etc. Some Christians have never taken flight in the Spirit filled life because they refuse to "run" until enough wind can cause lift. They refuse to JETtison cargo (sin and weights) and end up saying things like "this Christian life don't work" or "I need more grace, etc." We have all the grace we need, we just need to lay aside the weight (Hebrews 12).

But when REVIVAL hits and the wind of God's Spirit begins to blow again and people start discarding the heavy weights of sin- their strength is renewed and they begin to mount up with wings (AS eagles). Almost like they feel that unstable feeling as the wheels begin to leave the ground and say to themselves "hey, maybe if I throttle this thing and jettison some more sin and weights we might get some real altitude. Pretty soon they are soaring like an eagle and the gravitational pull of this world and its sin becomes manageable. They say again to themself "wow, so this is what the Christian life is supposed to be... my oh my, my temptations to sin are tiny compared to how they are on the ground.... I think I can live in victory as God intended like this!" We become a moving target and harder to hit than the planes (for example) at Pearl Harbor.

Then comes the temptation to ease off and we begin to believe the lie that we can handle more weights (as now we THINK we are more spiritual than we were, but still open to subtle lies of the enemy). It is at this stage that we slowly loose altitude and don't realize it. And it is then that when we think we stand-- we don't "take heed" and we end up falling (crashing). Beloved as God sends revival lets take to the air and stay there. Lets jettison the sin and weights and leave them permanently behind. Lets pull back on the rudder (?) and throttle her up to maximum altitude. Lets run and not be weary... lets walk and not give up.

God Bless and much Brotherly Love,

-Robert

2004/3/11 8:30Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: The Servival of the Revival

Quote:
My point is this, as Christians we too often live our life so bogged down with weights that we "CAN'T get our Christian lives into the air." We are driving our little prop plane to work (as it were) turning down the streets and into the driveways honking the horn, etc. Some Christians have never taken flight in the Spirit filled life because they refuse to "run" until enough wind can cause lift. They refuse to JETtison cargo (sin and weights) and end up saying things like "this Christian life don't work" or "I need more grace, etc." We have all the grace we need, we just need to lay aside the weight (Hebrews 12).

Brother Robert, thank you for sharing this. This is so very true and applicable I am sure to many lives reading this post. Duncan Campbell used to say: "that in revival time doesn't exist." In Revival there is such a healthy and right focus on God that worshipping Him and doing His will takes pre-dominance and all other things seem dross and dung in comparison. So I believe its not just temptations that seem nullified during these times of refreshing but life itself. We find our life, live, move and have our being in God Himself. This is another level totally different then doing things for God and trying to stop sinning. Its having an experience of the divine that will change not only your perception but your own soul.

2004/3/11 8:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy