SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need some counsel, thanks

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Need some counsel, thanks

I'm going to post a general letter I'm sending to people that I see as mature in the faith and I would like to hear what everyone on sermonindex thinks, thanks, I appreciate it.

Quote:
I have a really important question but I first must say that I'm 17.

My question is if whether or not I should be a pastor even if I feel like I might not want to but I know that nothing is more important with eternity in view.

Spurgeon once said, "Your one buisness in life is to lead men to believe in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Every other thing should be made subservient to this one objective."

And as John Piper says, I don't want to waste my life.

If becoming a pastor was the only thing I could think about doing, there would be no problem. The problem is that I'm pulled either toward becoming a pastor or toward becoming an animator working in a hollywood studio making animated movies.

I really think though that in our day, it would be absolutely selfish and evil for me to NOT become a pastor and go off and not devote my entire life to the ministry for the sake of God's glory.

How do we look around us and still go off and become whatever we want to be, that is what will kill me I'm afraid if I become an animator.

A verse I wrote down after realizing this war in me was Phil. 2:3-4.

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others."

Becoming an animator seems like vainglory. It seems like I wouldn't esteem my dieing neighbors who are being turned into hell. It seems like I would be seeking my own things and not the things of others.

No matter how I feel about becoming a pastor, shouldn't I do this no matter what, even if I don't feel as compassionate as I ought to because sinners are dieing and going to hell? Even if I cannot weep over them as I want to? Shouldn't I still rush into the building and put out the fire no matter how I feel about being a firefighter?

Becoming an animator would be like walking over a hill but becoming a pastor would be like climbing a mountain for me. However, if it is God's will, I know that He will do it.

I really want to go to animation school because I'm starting to really like to draw and become excited about it. However, perhaps my excitement is a lust of my flesh, a lust to have fun.

I don't want to waste my life and I was hoping that I could be provided with an answer as to what I should do.

Become a pastor or become an animator?

Once again, Spurgeon wrote, "He is no Christian who does not seek to serve his God. The very motto of the Christian should be I serve."

Thanks,
Paul Mcgrade

2007/2/24 21:05
jordanamo

Re: Need some counsel, thanks

Pray and ask God, is my advice-- don't seek man's approval or authority. Animator or Pastor, both can be done for the glory of God.

Jordan

2007/2/24 21:25Profile
pastorfrin

Paul,
James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Col. 3:17
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Make these two scriptures your guide.

In His Love

pastorfrin

2007/2/24 21:41Profile
seanjol

Charleston, SC

Check out nogreaterjoy.org and see what they have just finished. It's called "Good and Evil." It's an animated account of the bible. Not verse by verse or word for word but covers the bible pretty much Genesis through to Revelation. Their thinking is that even an Indian or muslim shopkeeper will put it on their shelves not realizing the power of God inside of it. Animation can be of God and does not necessarily be vainglory. I do agree with what Pastorfrin said that "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ." Be in much prayer as I will pray for you.

Lord Bless,

Sean

2007/2/24 21:56Profile

Quite honestly, it is best to seek the face of God in such matters, rather than the insight of man.

Being a pastor is something that I discourage many people in UNLESS they have been called of God. A friend of mine, who turned 18 the day before I did in mid-February, claims that he wants to be a youth pastor after college. I have been praying for him a lot more since he told me his aspiration, since I don't feel that it's right for me to directly tell him that I don't believe he is aware of what it takes to be in a pastoral position. I know his heart, but I also see his walk with the Lord. He listens to secular rock music and even plays in a secular rock band. He has never been taught the importance of sanctification and has therefore never petitioned God for it. He doesn't believe that the baptism in the Holy Ghost is an important part of ministry, when many people, myself included, have seen the difference the baptism makes in ministry. When I told him that his girlfriend had an encounter with the Holy Ghost, and I invited him to come to the same Bible study she encountered Him at, he said, "Well, maybe speaking in tongues just isn't one of my spiritual gifts." That made my spirit groan in me, because I know he hasn't been taught these things... and yet he wants to be a pastor.

It's not that I doubt that he (or you, for that matter) could have been called to the ministry; it's just that I wonder if he realizes how this is a big deal. I hate to see people walk into ministry without being in the right place with God... especially pastoral positions. Pastoral ministry is a very big deal and takes a lot of hard work. Though colleges will give degrees without examining your spiritual state, and churches will even hire those who aren't spiritually prepared to be a pastor, I wouldn't advise it. I despise seeing those who are unprepared or uncalled of God going into ministries... that's how a lot of false doctrine, false teaching, and worst of all, false conversions come about.

Honestly, I even began walking down a path to a ministry to only later have God yank me from it because it wasn't the path He wanted for me. I just thought it would be a good idea: ya know, being a minister of sorts (missions in particular) and being able to serve the Lord... who could go wrong with that? I learned that absolutely anyone could go wrong with that. You just have to be increasingly careful about what you do so that you stay in God's will... aiming for His perfect will rather than His permissible will.

What I really believe you should do is take this all up with God.

God, I pray You would open doors for this young man that no man can close and close doors that no man can open, so that he would know where You want him to go and what You want him to do.

2007/2/25 12:22

Quote:

paulmcg1 wrote:

I have a really important question but I first must say that I'm 17.

My question is if whether or not I should be a pastor even if I feel like I might not want to but I know that nothing is more important with eternity in view.

Spurgeon once said, "Your one buisness in life is to lead men to believe in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Every other thing should be made subservient to this one objective."

And as John Piper says, I don't want to waste my life.

Dear Paul

If only all Christian young men, such as yourself, longed to serve the Lord in their lives and not "waste time". That's wonderful!

However, I get the impression that you are thinking of being a pastor because that seems the best way to serve God, or at least the highest way.

Of course most pastors will see it that way because that's what God called them to do! Spurgeon was probably thinking of pulpit preaching in the quote above - although he doesn't actually say that.

I think someone already mentioned this, but it is a fact that the best way to serve God is the way he has called you to.

Preach with your life first, live for the Lord in everything you say and do, whatever career you find ourself in.

1Peter 3:15
[color=000099]"but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame."[/color]

I actually was a pastor, and loved to preach, and take care of folks; but the Lord called me [i]out[/i] after a couple of years! There were reasons for that, (not because I'm a woman - that's another issue altogether!) but the fact remains that this isn't the only way of serving God.

Yours in Him

Jeannette

2007/2/25 12:45

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy