SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : True Conversion, Why Repent?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

True Conversion, Why Repent?

I posted this is another thread and thought I'd post it here. This especially is good for open air preachers to hear:

A sinner is a sinner because he's using his will for himself. He's self-seeking. Conversion begins when this spirit of self-seeking ends. Christianity begins when they "deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow me" Jesus said. The problem is that sinners are indulging themselves, walking after the flesh, and are seeking their own good rather then the glory of God and the good of others.

If I were to appeal to their emotions, and tell them to come to Christ so that they don't go to hell, I'm appealing to their selfishness. If I say come to Christ so that you can be forgiven, I'm only indulging his wicked self seeking heart. And they become just as the rich young ruler, who wanted to add Heaven to his many possessions.

If a person comes to Christ because of what they can get, they are just as selfish as a person who goes to a prostitute because of what they can get. A sinner needs to stop being self-seeking, and submit to God, to seek His honor and His glory. And until they do that, they cannot be converted. Because true conversion is not of mere outward actions, like the Pharisees, but true conversion is of the heart, when God changes not only what you do, but why you do it. And so a sinner is not converted until not only what he does is changed, but why he does it is changed. And why he does what he does is no longer for himself, but for God and for others.

2007/2/23 13:01
death2self

Washington DC area

Re: True Conversion, Why Repent?

I believe a Christian will come to Jesus to be freed from sin because he will hear the Spirit's call to repentance. A related question that is rarely asked is what will it cost me to follow Jesus? The answer is absolutely everything. It will cost my darling sins, my hidden pride, time, money, family, future.

What it does it merit me to lay these things down? Absolutely nothing but I do it because I've decided to follow Jesus and I'm not turning back.

Just a couple of thoughts.

2007/2/23 14:39Profile

Quote:

Lazarus1719 wrote:
I posted this is another thread and thought I'd post it here. This especially is good for open air preachers to hear:

A sinner is a sinner because he's using his will for himself. He's self-seeking. Conversion begins when this spirit of self-seeking ends. Christianity begins when they "deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow me" Jesus said. The problem is that sinners are indulging themselves, walking after the flesh, and are seeking their own good rather then the glory of God and the good of others.

If I were to appeal to their emotions, and tell them to come to Christ so that they don't go to hell, I'm appealing to their selfishness. If I say come to Christ so that you can be forgiven, I'm only indulging his wicked self seeking heart. And they become just as the rich young ruler, who wanted to add Heaven to his many possessions.

If a person comes to Christ because of what they can get, they are just as selfish as a person who goes to a prostitute because of what they can get. A sinner needs to stop being self-seeking, and submit to God, to seek His honor and His glory. And until they do that, they cannot be converted. Because true conversion is not of mere outward actions, like the Pharisees, but true conversion is of the heart, when God changes not only what you do, but why you do it. And so a sinner is not converted until not only what he does is changed, but why he does it is changed. And why he does what he does is no longer for himself, but for God and for others.

Very interesting question!

Just some thoughts, no doubt plenty of others will respond too!

First, is it [i]possible[/i] for anyone to come to Christ for completely unselfish motives? While we are still in our sins, at the moment of conversion, we can't help but be selfish and self-seeking.

Whatever our motives at first, I think the Lord accepts us, if we are sincere as far as we know how, and sorts out our motives afterwards.

Also, each individual's needs and reasons for seeking God are different. Therefore the thing that triggers conversion is different each time. Jude 21-23:
[i]"21 keep yourselves in the love of God; wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And convince some, who doubt; 23 save some, by snatching them out of the fire; on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."[/i]

This seems to be saying that you use whatever works for the individual. Some will respond to reasoning (the problem is to discern between genuine doubters and time-wasting folk who just love an argument but have no intention of responding to the Lord). Others need to be almost forced to leave their evil ways. I wonder how many here were literally dragged out of a bar or night club, (or even from in front of the television), to listen to a Gospel message!

Others are so unconcerned about the things of God that fear is the only way they will even begin to seek Him. What kind of fear depends on the individual. The death of someone close to you, or personal tragedy or sickness perhaps. Or even "old-fashioned" hellfire preaching.

From personal experience the Lord used more than one of these ways to bring me to Him. Having been brought up in church I already believed in God, which was a start. And from the age of about 8 I had a terrible fear of death. Age 15 (it still took 3 more years for me to actually come to Him) He took away that fear. So He used the [i]removal[/i] of fear, not fear itself, to help on the way to finding Him.

In my case, the Lord could not start with repentance because I already had a huge guilt and inferiority complex. It would have been impossible at first to have genuine repentance, because this tendency to false "repentance" was so strong. So times of genuine repentance came at intercvals later in my Christian life; and lately He also dealt with the guilt...

The "convincing" aspect was also helpful. This in itself didn't bring me to conversion but it removed a barrier. A friend gave me a book that showed the proofs of the Resurrection. WOW! So it was intellectually respectable to believe it!! I had grown up being told it was true, but the fact that there was actual [i]evidence[/i] for it was eye-opening.

My actual conversion started with a choice (a little like the Rich Young Ruler perhaps), with the question, who did I love and need most in my life?

I was dating my first (and only, as it turned out) boyfriend, and the Lord simply asked me to decide who, if it came to a choice, would I want to spend the rest of my life with!

At that moment I realised I couldn't live without god any longer.

Yes, I came out of need, but how else could I have come? Some years before I had twice felt the Lord was saying "Follow me" but I didn't want to because of thinking it meant you had to be either a martyr or a missionery!

I suppose the key element seems to be our will. Are we willing to come to the Lord, selfish motives and all, and let Him not only meet our needs but also change us, so we begin to desire His glory not our own.

In Him

Jeannette

2007/2/23 14:40
franklyne

Quote:
but true conversion is of the heart, when God changes not only what you do, but why you do it. And so a sinner is not converted until not only what he does is changed, but why he does it is changed. And why he does what he does is no longer for himself, but for God and for others.

Amen

2007/2/23 14:54Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: True Converson

Since the whole point about salvation is where one spends eternity, how can one not start with the heaven or hell question?

It's not a matter of emotionalism, although it is often used in that manner. It is a fact that we all must deal with.

We are either for Jesus, or against Him, if only by default because we are not for Him. Genuine wickedness aside, consider how much God has done to get our attention on one simple matter - will we trust Him, or not? Do we believe Him or not?

The remainder of Christianity is how to live the Christian life by walking in Chirst's footsteps. It is an impossible matter, of course, but we have to try, and keep on trying, no matter how often we fail.

As for repentance, when I say my morning prayers, and take communion, how can I not repent? Is there one day in which I have not done something that I need to stop, apologize for, and do a complete 180 degree turnaround on?

Does anyone not need to repent daily? Does anyone not need to repent several times a day?

The whole point of living with the Jesus inside of you, and the Holy Spirit to teach and comfort you is that it becomes possible, in tiny bits and peices, to be changed. Not to change in our own strength, because no human is that strong. The Holy Spirit wants to change me. I just want to cooperate to the best of my ability so I can progress.

Blessings,

2007/2/24 8:36Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I do understand what your are trying to say, there is only one way, forsake all and follow me. However, the problem is we don't have laborers that all know the same thing to preach, so we wouldn't get anyone saved if it required just one angle.

[color=6600CC]Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? [/color]

Charles Finney, wouldn't bring you through to salvation until you knew what it would cost you. No cheap salvation there. The people would be squalling and groaning and he would say you aren't ready. Then he would continue to tell them the cost, everything. It is said the the majority of folks saved in his meetings stayed that way for life. They knew the cost before they committed.

The probem is we aren't all Finney. We must present the word to them and bring them in the best we can and allow God to purify their motives. Every preacher should make it known you aren't coming to Jesus as a fire escape or to get your boo boo fixed, but to lay down your life. After that He will take care of everything you commit to Him. This would stop of lot of the false conversions.

2007/2/24 9:05Profile
roadsign

Re: persuading repentance

Quote:
The probem is we aren't all Finney.

Good point, Goldminer! In fact, as soon as we try to copy Finney, or someone else, we cease being authentic to the way God is shaping us - that is, our true self. Sinners can sniff that a mile away.

Copying is a natural bent in us all – and why not! We do admire our heroes of the gospel and realize how successful they were. But, replicas just don’t work the same way. Actually, if we are going to copy any human, it should be the apostle Paul – who remained true himself. Studying the way he lived would be most helpful – the way he lived out his entire life. It’s tempting to focus on certain ways that he handled certain sinners, and then make THAT our model. It won’t work! Doing so is also an evidence that we are not waiting on the Spirit, rather, we are counting on OUR methods and efforts to change others.

We can’t change anyone! That is a humbling reality!

Don't you think that we have a tendency to fit people, including God’s work into a box that makes sense to us and fits in with our life-views? But people are all so different from one another – including their motives. So, to shape an evangelical message around what we believe are man’s motives is very risky. We'll likely miss the target by a long shot.

The prodigal son had one motive: survival, and he was willing to do whatever it took to get some food in his stomach. The motive behind his choice to go home was not to glorify his Father. Of course that would have been an outcome – especially after the way he was treated by his Father – like a King’s son!

Quote:
We must present the word to them and bring them in the best we can and allow God to purify their motives.

Again, a very good point! And again – we humans can so easily fall into the trap of trying to do GOD’S WORK for him, and fail to do the work he has given US to do – regarding our own relationship with him.

“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you; and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea….. Acts 1:8

Being witnesses is the outcome of our own relationship with God. It WILL show if it is there, and THAT is what others see. That is what gives us any authority: Christ's Spirit in us. If this is not evident through our mannerism, or words, our countenance, our way of relating to people, etc, then our most eloquent, persuasive preaching holds absolutely no authority.

Diane

2007/2/24 10:15Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

UniqueWebRev wrote:
Since the whole point about salvation is where one spends eternity, how can one not start with the heaven ot hell question?

While I think I see your point, it is fundamentally flawed. The "heaven and hell question" comes after the "sin question", and not before. Hell needs to be understood, in the heart and mind of the sinner, as the place that he deserves to go, and if there was no hell, then God could not, in good conscience, rest until He had made one for them. The ultimate question is, does the sinner understand [b]his/her own personal sin[/b] in the context of how it affects a God, that demonstrates His love for them, in that He laid down His life for them? Does their heart break as they consider their sin, as being against Him, and Him alone?

The repentant sinner will beg to go to hell, and be offended at the notion that God could possibly allow them into heaven. The converted believer will rejoice in the God that sent His Son to die for Him, knowing the shame that is attached to the realisation of their own "poverty of spirit", all the while knowing that this is the criteria of ownership of the "kingdom of heaven". In other words, they cannot even take comfort in the injustice of having someone die for them, because they know that they need it to survive.

If you claim to be a soul winner, and you have neither tasted this kind of conversion in your own life, nor the lives of the ones that you have led to Christ, then may I say that I feel sorry for you, right after I say "Shame on you!!!"

A good friend of mine has often expressed a desire to see a true conversion, after we became to the reality of "True and False Conversion". After nearly a year of faithfully preaching "sin, righteousness and judgement" for nearly a year on a street corner, he finally had his desire met, not once, but twice. The moral of the story is "do not despise the day of small beginnings". Be faithful, in the area of not casting your "pearls before swine". We do not need to water down the gospel to "get results". All we are called to do is preach the gospel, and "good news" only makes sense in the context of associated "bad news". Salivations are none of our business, we are simply called to point the way.

Simply put, Hell is merely the final destination for Satan and his angels.... but those who live their life after his pattern will inevitably be drawn there. Heaven on the other hand is the habitation of God, and those that abide in Him. The "Hell question" is one of "selfishness", while the "Heaven question" is one of "mercy being offered to the repentant".

I don't know if you have heard [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=282]Ten Shekels and a Shirt[/url] yet, but may I say if you haven't, then listen to it. If you have, then listen again.

2007/2/24 10:53Profile
roadsign

Re: conversion and compassion

I see that there is a current thread:[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15089&post_id=116652&order=1&viewmode=flat&pid=116638&forum=35#116652]Compassion[/url] that I feel aught to be linked to this one. Some excellent scriptures are presented there, that I believe aught to be integrated with this thread topic.

How does compassion relate to conversion and repentance?

Edit:

Quote:
If a person comes to Christ because of what they can get, they are just as selfish as a person who goes to a prostitute because of what they can get.

I admit that I came to Christ because of what I could get from him. I realized that only he could meet my real needs. Only he could give me the life I lacked. I had been trying to get my needs met in my own strength, and when it didn't work, then God's way finally made sense.

I have come to learn that it is not sinful to have desires - desires to have our needs met. It is not wrong to want food when you are hungry, or sleep when you are tired. But when we fail to trust God to provide -- now that is an entirely different mattter: We end up seeking the fulfilment of our needs apart from Christ - whether it be through prostitution or by seeking after success as a preacher.

I ask, is anyone really ABLE to give of themselves unless they FIRST have their needs met. Can one love without knowing (ie: KNOWING) that they are loved themselves?

Diane

2007/2/24 11:04Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: True Conversion - Why Repent

Quote:

CJaKfOrEsT wrote:
Quote:

UniqueWebRev wrote:
Since the whole point about salvation is where one spends eternity, how can one not start with the heaven ot hell question?

Quote:
While I think I see your point, it is fundamentally flawed. The "heaven and hell question" comes after the "sin question", and not before.

Granted that we do not consider heaven or hell until after we are made aware that sin is the cause of death. It is that knowledge of death brings the need to consider one's final destination, not the sin that brings one to death.

Quote:
The repentant sinner will beg to go to hell, and be offended at the notion that God could possibly allow them into heaven.

Any sane sinner, however repentant, will beg for forgiveness, and restoration into God's grace. Not being masochistic, I cannot imagine asking God to punish me for eternity when I know that He loves me, and that I can beg for forgiveness. I would be aware that I might not receive it, but I could never say to God, 'I know I am unworthy, please punish me for eternity.' I could only say, 'I know I am unworthy of your slightest glance, but please, Lord, please, have mercy on me.'

Quote:
The converted believer will rejoice in the God that sent His Son to die for Him, knowing the shame that is attached to the realisation of their own "poverty of spirit", all the while knowing that this is the criteria of ownership of the "kingdom of heaven".

Certainly I rejoice that God, before the beginning of the world, forsaw the need for a 'Kinsman Redeemer'. God knew before Adam sinned that he would sin, and yet God loved us, His creation so much, that He planned a way around His own law of justice to offer us a way out, and gain for Himself a family.

Yes, there is shame that our sin was placed on the only Righteous One, and that He died to pay our sin debt. And in that, His righteousness becomes mine, and my shame is no more, for in God's eyes, I am perfect, washed clean by the Blood, able to be presented without spot or wrinkle to the Most High.

God in His love, forgets our sin as soon as we repent, and sees us to be as pure and perfect as Jesus. This does not mean that God does not know how much I need to learn and progress, but that in Jesus, I have become His child, and am loved by Him with an extravagence of love that wipes out even the memory of sin and shame.

As for the Kingdom of Heaven, that is a gift from God the Father to his Son, Jesus, to rule and reign as God's heir apparent. This gift was given in a promise that if Jesus would go to earth in a man's body, live perfectly as a man, and die for those who would come to believe on Him as the Risen Son of God. Then, having sowed Himself into the ground, He would reap a harvest of souls for the Father, and for Himself, to rule and reign over forever.

Quote:
In other words, they cannot even take comfort in the injustice of having someone die for them, because they know that they need it to survive.

God gave Jesus, and Jesus gave Himself to act as our Kinsman Redeemer, dying for us that we might live. In my love and gratitude to God for this miracle, how can I not delight at what was done, even as I realize how much pain my sins caused my Saviour? Of course I need it to survive for eternity. God knew I needed such an unselfish, loving act to survive my inability to be sinless. And in my realization of God's love for me, I do indeed take comfort from the love that prompted Jesus's unjust death. No one can be glad for the injustice, and yes, we must have Jesus's sacrifice to live for eternity, but if God planned it, and is satisfied, then so am I.

Quote:
If you claim to be a soul winner, and you have neither tasted this kind of conversion in your own life, nor the lives of the ones that you have led to Christ, then may I say that I feel sorry for you, right after I say "Shame on you!!!"

I have never claimed to have won even one soul for God. I talk to people about Jesus in the hope of sowing a seed, or watering seed already sown. No one has, to my knowledge, sat under my teaching, learning the first word about Jesus, come to faith in the Lord, or said the Sinner's prayer because of my actions.

Only God can win a soul. The Holy Spirit can touch the spirit of someone unsaved, creating a longing and curiousity about God. He can place people in the unsaved person's path, to witness for God, by their walk, or their words, or their passion for God. And the Holy Spirit must prepare all knowledge and readiness for a sinner to make a decision for or against Jesus. After the decision, the Holy Spirit again takes over, to teach and comfort the new convert through the journey to holiness, a lifelong quest to get nearer to the example of Jesus.

It is a rare thing for a single person, despite the help of the Holy Spirit, to have such influence over a sinner as to bring them, in the human portion of the process, to God. Perhaps a mother or father might manage it with their children, but unless they are on a desert island, I think that many people will be involved in each child's salvation.

Above all, the Holy Spirit is the person most involved. But for all of us that seek to help the Holy Spirit touch the souls of men, and bring them to God, we are blessed indeed to see a completed fruit of our labor.

I pray that all who witness for God will one day see the evidence of their labors in a perfected soul for God in Heaven.

Blessings,

2007/2/25 6:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy