Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Generation of 'damaged' girls

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Generation of 'damaged' girls

[b]Generation of 'damaged' girls[/b]

A generation of very young girls is being psychologically damaged by inappropriate "sexy" clothing, toys and images in the media that are corrupting childhood, leading psychologists warn today.

They say marketing takes unfair advantage of children's desire for affection and the need to conform, leading to eating disorders, low self-esteem and depression.

Their report echoes a warning by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, and follows a United Nations study last week saying that British children were the unhappiest and unhealthiest in the developed world. ...

from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/20/ngirls20.xml

2007/2/21 2:02Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Generation of 'damaged' girls

Once again we have modern psychology trying to telling us what we have known for hundreds of years and that is that you pay a price for sinful behavior. It’s so sad that they don’t understand this self-esteem thing. My self-esteem is not affected by man because my sense of worth comes from God. Psychology has all the answers, and yet they don’t need the Bible. Some people will just not call sin…sin. And of course with modern psychology there is no sin so… It’s one of those things that make you go hmmm.

TJ

2007/2/21 8:40Profile
myfirstLove

Very grieving. I really do feel more for those who are weak and cannot speak for themselves.

Pray for the children.

2007/2/21 12:13Profile
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Re:

It's so important to pray for our children. I especially pray for my young girls and have been training them that beauty comes from within and godliness is beautiful. God made them pure and it is their job to stay that way. Media influence is extremly minimal and training in modesty is critical.

I really like Melody Green's tract on modesty and purity. It's A++++++ in my opinion.

--Steve

2007/2/21 14:48Profile
wallrepairer

Yes the statements made are quite true. Our girls are persuaded to grow up too quickly and in the UK right now the greatest thing we have to face when working with young people is their lack of aspirations.

But when a child does raise themselves above the norm and finds for themselves something that is worthwhile and gives them hope and a vision that too is scorned by 'professionals'.

Example:
I am trying to make a difference - one child at a time - by being a foster carer. The 9 year old child I have living with me discovered God. She has had meteoric growth in him and reads her Bible and prays and does devotions every day. When she shares her faith in God and his promises to other people it is astounding and anointed and it is through pure personal revelation. It is to be marvelled and especially considering her extraordinarily difficult background.

She is awaiting a 'forever family' They tried giving her to a non- Christian family at Christmas and fortunately that didn't happen. Someone in charge of finding her a family came this week and listened to her desires for a Christian family. When my foster daughter left the room the professional said that she was concerned with my foster daughter's 'obsession' about God and her very prescriptive requirements of her faith. They said they will try to find her a family who are 'Christian' but they can't be expected to find someone of her own faith expression.

So having a strong and vibrant faith is deemed an 'obsession.' When did this happen?

There was no praise that she was doing so well. There was no praise that she is pure joy and smiles and full of love. No they highlight a concern that she has faith!!

In our UK society there would be an outcry if they tried to place a practicing Muslim child (Islamic)into a non-practicing family or in a different faith stream...so why do they think it is perfectly acceptable to do it to Christian children?

And we wonder what is going so wrong with the young people of our society...perhaps we need to be pointing to the decision makers...

2007/2/21 17:33Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I think everyone is damaged by sin.

2007/2/21 18:09Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

QUOTE:
A generation of very young girls is being psychologically damaged by inappropriate "sexy" clothing, toys and images in the media that are corrupting childhood, leading psychologists warn today.

Amen!

Yesterday my DH and I visied a mall enroute home froom attending a seminar in Lousiana. They have a food court in there and that is where we purchsed our lunch. Afterwards we walked the halls, window shopping...

After we left, I told my DH I think we were the best looking people there, except for a few Pentecostals. Brothers and sisters, the way people dressed is an abomination! I felt like we took lunch in Sodom and Gomorrah! and this is the Bible belt! The fashions promoted by the merchants are downright ugly...it is no wonder young girls suffer from low self-esteem. They are not taught they are pretty, nice and to be so. They equate nice with being sexy. So sad. Now where are the christian parents, the mothers, the fathers? Are they putting on the brakes? or are they crying legalism when you raise the warning?

Yes, I grieved deeply...

ginnyrose

2007/2/25 13:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
There was no praise that she was doing so well. There was no praise that she is pure joy and smiles and full of love. No they highlight a concern that she has faith!!

Unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. I pray that God frees them from the enemy... May God have mercy on them, and open their eyes, and clothe them with His righteousness--they even accused the Lord that He cast out devils by the prince of demons.
We must remember that we were there once, without God and without hope in the world. Even the apostle Paul persecuted the church, out of ignorance in unbelief, yet God met him on the road to Damascus. When I have such encounters and people reject the grace of God, and scorn Him, it makes me weep, because I know I used to do the same thing once. He loved me even when I did not believe in Him.

2007/2/25 15:28

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy