SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Justification by faith.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Justification by faith.

Until we grasp this doctrine we will never be able to move on.

2007/2/20 21:29
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: Justification by faith.

This will be one of the most liberating truths one will ever wrap their mind around.

Unfortunately in our day we have confused salvation and justification so when we ask, "are you saved?" What we really would like to know is "are you justified."

The Reformers really brought this to the front of the thinking in their day due to the fact that the Roman system was teaching justification through works, indulgences etc. Sadly in our time many now teach salvation by works, or at least maintenance of salvation by works. Perhaps this comes from a wrong view of man's involvement in his salvation(see even I confuse the terms ;-) )

2007/2/20 21:51Profile

Re:

God bless you brother.

I have only recently been able to allow this to penetrate into my soul, and only SINCE THEN have I seen any real growth in my spiritual life.

Your words could'nt have been better put.

Now I'm seeing this justification by faith and works being preached almost everywhere.

Is'nt satan subtle? My, my, what a mess we've gotten ourselves into. :-D

2007/2/20 22:14
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Satan isn't foolish. He knows that once one belongs to Christ he has lost them, but the devil will do all he can to get the child to doubt their Father and His words to them. There have been times in my walk where I have been so utterly condemned because I could not be holy enough, I could not pray enough, I I I I

Then one day a flicker of light appeared on the horizon of my desperate soul. That light was simply this, "by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified" suddenly things began to make more sense. I could see that Christ fulfilled the Law perfectly, He met the requirements that I could not. I did not need to prove to God how worthy I was of being saved, but rather I accepted Christ and His work.

I see though a danger even here at times, and it is subtle. People feel guilty because they are not "doing something", or because they have not the same calling as another, or some presume that all have the same calling and berate those who do not as they do, thus adding a law to being a child of God. It is a gift of which no man anywhere could ever earn, no matter how moral one thinks he is, he is completely unable to bring about salvation, it must be a work of God alone that He alone recives the glory.

I have rambled brother, but be of good cheer, and praise our Father who is so rich in mercy that He would give us Christ!

2007/2/20 22:50Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Salvation is free; rewards are earned. Like Ravenhill says "There'll be [i]great[/i] distinctions in heaven." I was having a discussion along these very lines with my wife this evening. Heaven is going to be wonderful, but the second you arrive you'll be crestfallen by your utter poverty. Crowns will be given out, and some of us will not receive any. We are not saved by works, but we are certainly saved [i]unto[/i] works. And the works are not always an outer manifestation. The fruit is outer as well as inner, for where the heart is is where the treasure lays. So, start obeying God and laying it up! This "obedience" is counted as righteous works, validating faith.

2007/2/20 23:04Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Amen, and the faith that justifies is a faith that works.
It is just so funny how we beat upon ourselves, and heap condemnation instead of taking God at His word. This is one of the reasons I love to read the Puritan writers as they speak of assurance, which seems such an odd word at times, but what a mighty weapon it is even in the hands of the weakest saint.

2007/2/20 23:08Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Amen brother. I love the Puritan writers also. Such a wonderful balance, so clean and spiritually hygienic. It's a shame we don't see more Puritan writings in Christian bookstores.

2007/2/20 23:15Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Unfortunately it seems there is a stigma attached to them. Maybe the language they use, or the challenge they put forth, I do not know.

Great signature by the way

2007/2/20 23:22Profile

Re:

Quote:

roaringlamb wrote:
Satan isn't foolish. He knows that once one belongs to Christ he has lost them, but the devil will do all he can to get the child to doubt their Father and His words to them. There have been times in my walk where I have been so utterly condemned because I could not be holy enough, I could not pray enough, I I I I

Then one day a flicker of light appeared on the horizon of my desperate soul. That light was simply this, "by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified" suddenly things began to make more sense. I could see that Christ fulfilled the Law perfectly, He met the requirements that I could not. I did not need to prove to God how worthy I was of being saved, but rather I accepted Christ and His work.

I see though a danger even here at times, and it is subtle. People feel guilty because they are not "doing something", or because they have not the same calling as another, or some presume that all have the same calling and berate those who do not as they do, thus adding a law to being a child of God. It is a gift of which no man anywhere could ever earn, no matter how moral one thinks he is, he is completely unable to bring about salvation, it must be a work of God alone that He alone recives the glory.

I have rambled brother, but be of good cheer, and praise our Father who is so rich in mercy that He would give us Christ!

Brother, I want to bring this back up because this is exactly what happened to me.

It's like the walls came down after this finally sunk in.

I wondered why I had to try SO hard to do good, but when I realized that I was'nt any good and Jesus was the ONLY one that was good, the burden lifted and I was free to grow.

Not only in knowledge,(of which I have very little), but also discernment and compassion and love.

Is'nt the growing process amazing? I can look back and see how far I've come, but, I look forward and see I have a long way to go. It's like each step takes you to a whole other level.

I believe this is the foundation if we are to grow. We MUST be SECURE in HIM and HIM alone.

2007/2/24 22:05
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I am reminded of the hymn that Luther wrote, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God". It is a wondrous thing to know we are in Christ, and that He is my Surety, and my Advocate before the Father.
Now the question becomes, can the Father tell Him no when He intercedes for me? Can you see the boldness we have to come into the Holiest of All?

2007/2/25 0:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy