SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : alone with God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
truth_seeker

alone with God

Hello all.
I was looking for wisdom on something that is simple, but complicated to me. I've been growing in God and He's totally transformed my life. I love Him so much and do have a passion to live for Him. I'm ashamed to say, but I don't know how to spend time with Him. Christians are supposed to pray and study the Bible, but I'm at a loss as far as how to do this. How do I pray and what do I say? I have no problem praying for others, but how do I pray in all the other areas. I feel like I only grow when I'm at church because I'm taught things. At home, I can read the Bible and pray but things just aren't the same. How do I establish a "prayer closet" or "quiet time" or whatever you want to call it? I appreciate your wisdom with this.

Stirring,
~Michelle

2004/3/9 13:56Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: alone with God

Quote:
I love Him so much and do have a passion to live for Him. I'm ashamed to say, but I don't know how to spend time with Him.

Welcome Michelle, I thank you so much for your honesty in sharing about your spiritual life with this community of believers. I am so grateful you found this site and it will be a place where you can grow in your relationship with God, not just in words or in knoweldge of Him, but in a practical experience and relationship with Him.

Quote:
How do I establish a "prayer closet" or "quiet time" or whatever you want to call it? I appreciate your wisdom with this.

This is really what God desires is for a people who are called by His Name and follow Him. To follow Him we need to hear His voice and yes that requires us to be in tune with God and spend time with Him! Leonard Ravenhill (a speaker on this site) said once: "Have you come to church to hear a sermon about God, or have you come to meet with God Himself." I recommend you check out this thread: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=923&forum=26&7]Ravenhill's Secret[/url] here is quote from that thread:
"I went to the sherwood forest to pray at night. took my mom's little pedigree dog, I walked over the golf links I got down under the wide bracket, the white fern. I got up in the morning before 6, paticularily sundays. While everybody else slept I went across into the forest got under the bushes and prayed. [b]And if I had any secret in my life the only thing I know is that I have given God time, all the time I could.[/b] To talk to me as well as me talk to Him.
-Leonard Ravenhill

Here are some sermons I recommend you listen to on this topic also:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3858]Christ A Stranger (1984 conference) [/url] by David Wilkerson

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1722]My House Shall Be Called A House Of Prayer (Video) [/url] by Jim Cymbala

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3183]The Secret Closet of Prayer[/url] by David Wilkerson

If you listen to these messages with an openheart you will surely experience a deeper walk with God. Thank you for your honest seeking of God, I am in the same boat and there are many others on this site who's passion is to really know God, to be a friend of God! Also follow along in the weekly devotionals by Ron Baily on this topic:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=45]Abraham, My Friend[/url]

be bleseed :-D

2004/3/9 14:38Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: alone with God

Quote:
How do I pray and what do I say? I have no problem praying for others, but how do I pray in all the other areas.

Just speak your heart to Him, it doesn't have to be fancy or eloquent, just sincere. You must start somewhere so simply ask Him to teach you how to pray and then just keep coming to Him. You must persevere, even when you don't feel like praying or when it feels like your prayers aren't getting beyond the ceiling.

I am a firm believer in the principle; "prayer is not taught but it is caught". Having said that, I have read a book that was helpful to me and may be of help to you also. It is [i]The Divine Intercesor[/i] written by Gary Wilkerson the son of David Wilkerson. I can attest to what is written in the forward of this book by the elder Wilkerson; "The impact The Divine Intercessor had on me was immediate and demanded a response-[i]I wanted to pray![/i]I wanted to spend more time with the Lord, not motivated by a legal responsibility, but by a love impulse...this is certainly not a "how to" book, but rather a "want to" book."

Here is a link to the web page where you can purchase this book for $8.00 [url=http://www.worldchallenge.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/scstore/p-din.html?L+scstore+iuyg2138+1078880288]The Divine Intercessor[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/3/9 16:08Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Michelle,

Many times when I get alone with God, I am silent. I don't ask anything except what is on His heart. I quiet my thoughts and "sit at His feet". You can actually picture this if it helps. I want to be there just to learn and listen. I ask things like, 'Lord, what do you desire?" What do you need from me?"

We are always asking, asking, coming to him with needs and requests. But i really believe He also just wants us to 'WANT HIM- to be with Him and spend time in His presence just because we love him and long to hear from Him.

Always have a journal and a pencil/pen. Write down things that come to you, that speaks to your heart. It may be a verse of the bible or something else. If we come prepared and expecting- He will speak to your heart.

Most of my quiet time alone with the Lord is not spent asking for anything except that His will is done and what does He want to say? How can I minister to the Lord? I usually spend some time in praise and worship at first to get my mind and heart settled and focused on Him.

I am just trying to be practical for you. it does not have to be a set formula or the way anyone else does things. He just wants "you and Him" time.

Satisfied in Him, Chanin

2004/3/9 22:31Profile
hijode1dios

Waco, GA

Re: Alone with God

Ron,
I will have to pick up a copy of The Divine Intercessor. Thanks also for the link to eSword on one of your earlier posts. I have SwordSearcher, Nelson's Electronic Library, and BibleCollection Deluxe, all very good software programs reasonably priced. But, each of them, like eSword, seems to offer several books the others don't have. It really rounds out the collection. For some reason, I am having trouble with the screen saver though. It installs, but when I do the setup, it still won't display the screen saver after the appropriate delay. Maybe its just software conflicts. I am going to instll it on my laptop tomorrow because it seems cool. And, hey, I need to make a donation to eSword, too.
Let me know if you know what I might be doing wrong with that Screen Saver.
Thanks,

2004/3/16 22:11Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: screen saver

I'm glad you are enjoying esword, I use it every day, it is a terrific resource.

I couldn't get the screen saver to work either, perhaps I will e-mail Rick Meyers and see how we can resolve this problem.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/3/16 23:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy