SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : More than revival?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

[b]Further thoughts, part 2[/b]

How, or even perhaps whether, to intercede for revival (however we understand it) depends on what days we are living in.

In a sense the Last Days began with the Incarnation, when Jesus walked as a man among men (Hebrews 1;1f), but I doubt if any would deny that we are much nearer the End now than then. Many of the “signs of the times” have been fulfilled to a degree they have never been before. Some of us might even be still on earth at His Second Coming (or the Rapture, whichever comes first). The Antichrist may even be already born, for the Bible says he, the counterfeit Christ, comes first.

This has to affect how we intercede. Daniel prayed in response to reading Jeremiah’s prophecy of the Exile lasting 70 years. He realised the time was at hand and prayed in the light of that.

We must also understand the signs of the times in our generation and intercede accordingly.

As part of the answer, to what and how to intercede, I was given Isaiah 40 following. In other words the answer is in the last section of Isaiah, chapters 40-66. I don’t know what specific verses are relevant precisely. Maybe reading them will make certain ones "light up", but I know the answer is "in there somewhere". Also in other Scriptures of course, but this seemed to be the starting point.

Of course, these Scriptures were originally relating to Israel only, and it is also relevant to this nation and people who are still a huge part of God’s plans for the earth. But there are many layers of meaning in His Word, and more than one fulfilment of a prophecy.

For example, some verses that stood out:

Isaiah 42:
8 I am the LORD, that is My name;
And My glory I will not give to another,
Nor My praise to carved images.
9 Behold, the former things have come to pass,
And new things I declare;
Before they spring forth I tell you of them.”

Isaiah 43 (the context is the Lord protecting and providing for His people)

18 “Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
19 Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?...

Isaiah 66:

22 “For as the new heavens and the new earth
Which I will make shall remain before Me,” says the LORD,
“So shall your descendants and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.
24 “And they shall go forth and look
Upon the corpses of the men
Who have transgressed against Me.
For their worm does not die,
And their fire is not quenched.
They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.

Love in Him

jeannette

2007/2/28 12:47

Re:

Quote:

Mattie wrote:
The essence of revival is Jesus, and seeing the Law of God fulfilled through His people - to love Him with all of our hearts, minds, and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourself. That's the essence of an outpouring. God makes this our consuming passion because we receive a greater glimpse and an understanding by the Spirit of how great a Savior we have.

If we don't have love, we've got nothing - just religion, selfish zeal and words. But no power

Forgot to say thanks for this challenge. You are soooo right :oops: Though it obviously wasn't meant personally I take it to heart.

Think I've said enough!

Jeannette xxx

2007/2/28 12:50

Re:

Hi Doug, just trying to comment on some aspects of some of the earlier replies.

Quote:

John173 wrote:
I know myself there are things I feel He shows me that I would have difficulty imparting to others.

Yes, same here. Maybe I should have kept quiet, but discussion has helped clarify and crystallise things more (can somethig be both clarified and crystallised?) This aspect is rather new to me too, and I've been feeling my way with the topic. See the two "further thoughts" posts today.

Quote:
As for my own prayer re revival, I am much more concerned with the lukewarm church of Laodicia than with the lost.

Me too, that has been a special burden since the early 1980's when I first came across the concept of intercession.

Quote:
I have a rather prophetic edge to my walk with the Lord. By this I don't mean to say that I am a prophet, at least not in the sense of fortelling, it is just that I feel called to cry aloud. To warn. To shout out "wake up!" Can you not see your need?

I do long for revival, but for me it is for an interior revival for the church. I don't know if this fits in with what the Lord is saying to you.

Yes, again you echo my heart too.

Thanks Bro.

Jeannette

2007/2/28 17:18

Re:

Quote:

Roniya wrote:
I [i]long[/i] to see God's glory manifested in unique way in changing lives. The awesome thing about true revival is that it is GOD doing the work, it is GOD breaking down the proud, it GOD bringing conviction of sin, it is GOD moving in a way that causes man to fall on his face and realize his nothingness and God's greatness. [i][b]Revival isn't about us, it's about God and His glory. [/b][/i]

YES!!!

Quote:
It is good to examine [i]why[/i] we want revival and what our motives are. Do we want God to work in others because of the faults we see there or are we willing to go through anything that brings God glory? Are [i]we[/i] willing to be broken? Do we want to see revival just for the thrill of it? Just because we've heard and read about it and now we want the [i]experience[/i]? Oh, how man-centered can we be!
My heart yearns to see God magnified and see man put in his rightful place, the dust. I long for this in my life. It is [i]my[/i] heart motives that I must examine.
Thanks for hearing my heart on this. I agree with you, sister, about the Church needing to be ready...but even if that area, it is God who does the work in us.
"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and [b]to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy[/b],
25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." Jude 24-25.

AMEN!

Jeannette

2007/2/28 17:21

Re:

Quote:

John173 wrote:
Dear Jeannette,

I've been muling over this notion of revival being too small a prayer, the idea that the Lord wants to do something bigger than our notions of revival. I was considering Jesus prayer recorded in John 17, verse 21: [color=0000CC]that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.[/color]

Can you get your mind around revival inside the church consisting of the body repenting in tears over our divisiveness? Somehow this notion seems like an even greater miracle than any revival in history. Hmmm, something to ponder indeed. And following on the heals of this inner revival is the end of the verse, that the world may come to know...

Now that's what I call a revival!

In His Love,

Doug

Yes indeed, Doug. I mentioned the East African Revival in a recent post today. Repentance was the main thing there. they majored on "walking in the light" with one another. The "revival chorus that they always sang was (in the English version)
[i][b][color=000099]Glory, glory Hallelujah
Glory glory to the Lamb
For the cleansing Blood has reached me
Glory, glory to the Lamb"[/color][/b][/i]

It did get a bit one-sided after a while, too much unnecessery confessing and repenting for example, but at the time there was a very deep work in many hearts.

I worked in Western Uganda in the 1970's, where the Ankole cattle come from, (similar to Texas longhorns perhaps only with horns even longer, and not the same shape - their milk is incredibly rich but they only give about a gallon or so a day!) It was a paradise for a biology teacher!

One memory was of sitting in the local pastor's house during the lunch break at one of the special monthly meetings they held. There were a few of us white ladies, and three elderly Ugandan men on a sofa opposite. (A friend translated, as I never picked up enough of the language to understand a conversation.) They were talking about how, before the revival there was no way they would have sat together, being of two opposing tribes. ...And as for sitting with a white person!!!! Then they hugged each other and rolled around on the sofa laughing like schoolboys!

Its such a temptation to look back and get nostalgic for days past - I get homesick for Africa, but whether the Lord will let me go back is another matter.

We can learn from the past, but also need to look forward.

In Him

Jeannette

2007/2/28 17:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy